“Good...Not Great...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“Good...Not Great...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We've stayed at the Grand before and were happy to have a chance to return. We booked a direct ocean view room and could not have been happier about the location. The view was spectacular! Nothing beat watching the sun rise over the ocean or the moon glistening across the water at night. The room itself, left some to be desired. The rooms are worn down and in need of refurbishing. The cleaning of the room was incomplete. The area near the window was obviously not vacuumed lately. We had to call to have the shower head and the bathroom cleaned of the rust. There was rust around the baseboards in the bathroom as well. FYI - there is a safe in the room and you are charged a nominal fee for its use, However, if you do not use the safe, you have to ask for the fee to be removed from your bill. The hotel is in a perfect location, but is definitely in need of an upgrade.

Room Tip: Room with 10s/12s are direct ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced due to the lack of cleanliness in your room. I have already made the Director of Housekeeping aware of this issue and she will address it with her staff appropriately. I assure you the events that took place are not a normal reflection of the high standards we hold ourselves to at the hotel. Nevertheless I am disappointed in myself and our staff for failing to provide you with the relaxing and fun getaway you deserve.

I hope you allow us another opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to providing the cleanest accommodations you will find in Ocean City. Please do not let this isolated incident deter you from staying with us in the future because I can guarantee your next stay with us will prove why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
North Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel for the first time Mar. 24-26 for a conference. It was not a bad hotel at all, better than the one I stayed at last year in Mid-town. It has a lot of amenities and is located on the boardwalk. I am not sure if I would stay there in season, however. The price they charge does not compare with the service given, meaning the towels were more like rags, the bed linens were warm, but not what you would expect from this hotel. The thread count of the linens is probably low end, much like you could by at a discount retailer; at least that is how it felt. It trys to portray itself as high(er) end accomodation, but the bed, bed linens and towels are more of what you would expect from a motel. I had better linens at a Holiday Inn for goodness sake. The bathroom was a little tight. If they would improve on this [upgrade mattresses, linens, & towels] and make it more in line for what the regular in-season rates are, then I would stay there. The place does look somewhat dated.

On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and helpfu, the room was clean and serviced very well. The room was also a generous size. The hotel is at a great location, it has onsite restaurants with many others not too far away. During season, there are little shops and restuarants facing the beach. You also have a pretty good view of the beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and provide us with your valuable feedback. I am please to hear you enjoyed your stay overall, and that our staff was friendly and helpful. I am also glad you felt your room was clean because we do provide some of the cleanest rooms you will find in Ocean City, Maryland.

However, I would like to apologize that you felt our linens were those from a “discount retailer”. It is certainly not our intention to provide uncomfortable sheets and towels to our guests. I have made our Housekeeping Department aware of these issues.

I do want to assure you that the Grand Hotel & Spa is constantly working to improve our accommodations. However because of the size of the hotel and the short amount of time to complete renovations during the off season, we cannot complete all renovations at once.

Once again, thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We hope you will not let this deter you from staying with us again the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My daughters and I go to Ocean City, MD every year for the St. Patty's Day parade and our girls weekend away. We always stay at the Grand Hotel because we love it there. The staff is very friendly and informative about what is going on that weekend. It's very clean and quiet. The only thing I could complain about was we couldn't see out of the sliding glass doors. I don't think they were dirty, just old and foggy. I know they're in the process of replacing them, they just didn't get to our room yet. Also, the karaoke on Saturday night was so much fun. The KJ kept everyone entertained and the singers were great. Looking forward to our girls weekend away next year at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are so thrilled you were able to enjoy another Saint Patty’s Day weekend at the Grand Hotel & Spa.

We are aware of the situation with our sliding glass doors and as you stated we are working on replacing them. We just completed two additional floors this winter, and expect to complete more next winter before your next trip back! Unfortunately being a true oceanfront property, it is a never-ending battle with the condensation.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Grand Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your time and business and look forward to having you back again next year!

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is run down, we booked an ocean front room for our 28th annv. Was very disappointed it was not clean, the placed looked worn down, beds were horrible, will not stay there again. Was expecting something a little more highend.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am disappointed to hear you will never return to our property and I am sorry that we have failed you. However I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are a very busy oceanfront property and like any other oceanfront property we do experience the normal “wear and tear”. However our team works very hard in an attempt to maintain the property and we are always working on improving the overall experience for our guests. Every year we are constantly working towards maintaining and improving the hotel, but unfortunately we cannot accomplish all of these projects at one time. Just this year for example a large investment was made to replace two floors’ sliding glass doors. New flat screen LCD TVs were also recently purchased which are featured in our Direct Oceanfront Signature Service and King Jacuzzi rooms.

Once again I apologize that we have let you down and I can only hope that you will allow us another opportunity to prove why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Clarksburg, md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 2 night stay for a relaxing weekend. Supposedly recent storms flooded our 12th flr room so we got another room that was not to our liking. The lady at the front desk did offer us a 15% discount but didnt say the suites were available later. They offered us the suite for one night only after I asked again.

I dont appreciate them not calling me in advance so I could have booked another suite at another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
I am very sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with your recent experience here at the Grand Hotel and Spa. It is our goal to provide every guest with a memorable stay and superior service. I apologize that we have let you down.

I understand and empathize with you on how frustrating it was to be informed the day of your arrival that we did not have the King Jacuzzi room available that you booked. Unfortunately, certain situations do arise that are at times out of our control. As you stated, our 12th floor rooms were significantly damaged during a recent storm. We do attempt to remedy these situations in a timely manner and make every effort to not cause an inconvenience to any of our guests in the process. However, I would like to apologize because this is not always possible under extreme circumstances.

We would love the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this matter further. I guarantee that your next experience with the Grand Hotel and Spa will be a more pleasant one. Thank you for your time and business.

Eldersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

tis was our second stay at the Grand. We love it! The hotel is clean and quiet, the staff friendly and helpful. The coffee shop on the ground floor is open 24 hours and has pastries and sandwiches all day. The location is convenient to walking on the boardwalk and near many restaurants.
we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: ASk for a room on 6th floor or above for a fantastic ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding your most recent stay at the Grand Hotel & Spa. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the staff, coffee shop, and our convenient location on the boardwalk! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ocean City!

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I hate the sand. I hate the water, the sun, the screaming kids having fun. I am the same person in a fast food restaurant ordering a cheeseburger without the cheese and can I please have less mayo. Stopped in to visit friends. Please people, enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Although you hate the sand, the water, and the sun, we absolutely love it! We are glad you were able to enjoy the time you spent with your friends here at the Grand Hotel & Spa. We hope to see you again the future.

Front Office Manager

Been to Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!