“Wonderful retirement gift for my wife” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #39 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful retirement gift for my wife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife retired on her birthday this year and I asked her what she wanted as a retirement present. She said that we had not been to Ocean City in years and would like to stay there for a whole week. The main purpose of this was just for rest and relaxation.

On the first day the phone rang and it was the front desk making sure that everything was ok. We said yes and thought it was very thoughtful of them to call and ask us how things were.

On the way out I noticed that the door had a screw missing from the security latch and stopped at the front desk to ask if one could be put in. They wanted to know if I needed it right away and I said no, when they had the chance. We were only out of the room for a short while and the screw had been replaced while we were away.

I booked this hotel and then start reading all the comments. I know there were a lot of negative comments and to be honest I almost canceled my booking here. I am stating, that would have been a big mistake.

The rooms were clean, the hotel was quiet, everything was absolutely perfect for the week. I had even called ahead and asked if we could be put in a room where my wife would have a direct view of the ocean because that is all she asked. The put us almost in the middle of the hotel with a great view of the ocean.

Only minor negative that we had was housekeeping does come later in the afternoon to make up your room. We are used to getting up early, putting the clean room sign on the door and having it done by the time we get back from our early morning shopping for breakfast or whatever. But beyond that, the rooms were always made nicely so I really don't have any complaint to report.

I know we are going back to this same location, maybe early next year, maybe during the summer or more possibly the same thing frame that we went this year which was right after Thanksgiving. There is nothing like having just about all of Ocean City to yourself.

Again, thank you to all the staff, very friendly and very efficient if something was needed. Look forward to our next stay at the Grand Hotel.

Oh yes, I did go up to the 8th floor to find the laundry room and did notice that all the rooms were being refurbished so the hotel is putting a lof of effort into fixing up the rooms and making the stay better for their customers.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

Room Tip: I would say if you want a nice room to ask for room 617 which is where we stayed. I can't forge...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff took great care of you! We pride ourselves on providing the cleanest rooms and friendliest staff in town. We look forward to serving you once again on your next trip to Ocean City! Happy holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Springfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We decided to stay here because of the price, the mini kitchen and the room looked spacious online. This was helpful for us since we normally bring a few drinks, snacks, and now a pack n play. Upon entering the room, we could see how much room there was even with two queen beds. The furnishings, carpeting, and bathroom were average, but since we were not planning on staying in the hotel 24/7 it was not a big deal. The view from our 7th floor balcony was great and we actually got to use it since the weather was so nice.

The only downside to our room was the mattress seemed liked it needed to be replaced. We slept fine on it, but you could feel the springs when getting in and out of bed.

There was a breakfast cafe downstairs which was ok. I would suggest saving your money and go out for at one of the restaurants along the Coastal Highway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your sharing your experience with us here at the Grand Hotel & Spa. We truly appreciate all of your pleasant feedback and cannot wait to have you back again!
Lititz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We did a package deal for the Winterfest of Lights and it was good. We had done this package before and loved that the tickets were included with the stay. However, I was dissappointed when walking into the room one could see that there was something not looking right with the one bed. The box spring was broken on the one side which made it hard from rolling out of the bed. We had stayed here before and like it but it is hard to relax when one is worried about rolling out of bed or one of your children rolling out. The other thing is the hot chocolate from the cafe downstairs beware. It is very hot that it was hard for my husband to carry up to our room. Our young son accidently knocked a book into one of the cups of hot chocolate that then split on his arm giving him first and second degree burns! SO BE VERY CAREFUL IF GETTING HOT CHOCOLATE FROM CAFE!!!! This may be something management will want to check into.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I thank you for bringing the situation with the bed to our attention. Please be assured that this is an isolated incident and we will certainly look into this further. All of your feedback will be reviewed by our management team because we take all of our guest's comments very seriously. After all your feedback is what assists us in improving the overall experience for all of our guests.

Warren, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel boasts being a great place. Great is the location which is on the boardwalk. Service is terrible. You get there and they want nothing to do with you once you've paid.
In July heat, they do not turn on the air conditioning in any part of the hotel lobbies or shops in the hotel and don't care when you complain either.
I was there for a week which was a hefty tab even as a group. I prepaid all but $100 for the week, which doesn't even cover 1/2 of a night rate and they would not let my roommate check in until it was paid.
When you've paid all but 1/3 of a night on a weeks stay, that is unreasonable.
They simply do not care if you enjoy your stay and I will not go back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
GrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is our goal at the Grand Hotel & Spa to exceed your expectations and provide you with superior service during your stay. I truly apologize this was not the case during your last visit to Ocean City, MD.

I understand and empathize with your frustrations during the check-in process; however our policy states that we must collect full payment prior to check-in. The air conditioning runs throughout the entire summer in our public areas, but it is difficult to keep them cool with the large number of guests constantly entering and exiting the building during the warm summer season. I will most certainly share your feedback with our management team and it will be taken into consideration to better accommodate our guests during the check-in process.

Once again, I apologize for the less than pleasurable stay and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to prove why we are considered the premier hotel on Ocean City's boardwalk. Please keep us in mind for your future travel plans to Ocean City, MD, and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

East Berlin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed here twice now, both times as a chaperone for the Youth for Christ ALIVE Conference for middle schoolers, held in November. It is always a great weekend and the stay at this hotel is a big part of it. Many of these kids have never stayed in hotels before and they get to have a room with an ocean view! They are very excited.

The rooms are clean, neat, and spacious. There were five of us in our room and even with the cot, it was not cramped.

The cot, however, was not the most comfortable thing, but most people aren't going to have to deal with that. Or they can make their kid sleep on it. :)

The lobby area is spacious and pretty, especially decorated for Christmas. There is a 24-hour coffee/snack shop right inside the doors to the beach. The arcade and the pool keep the kids busy for a bit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate all of your kind words and I am pleased we were able to prove once again why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. I am also overjoyed that you love our hotel because we love having you here! We look forward to having you and the Youth for Christ Conference back again next year!

St. Leonard, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for one night, Crusing Weekend. It was a busy weekend in Ocean City and for the Hotels, I was surprised there was only one person at the front desk, and felt sorry for them because they had to handle everything, people in person and on the phone.

The room was ok, nothing special. Was surprised to find a bar on the sliding glass door until I realized that all the balconies connect and there is only a see-through partition separating my balcony from the rooms on either side of me. A little unsettling for a woman traveling alone.

The other thing that was unsettling was although there was great underground parking across the street from the hotel, However, I did not feel safe going to my car. The garage was well lit at night, but during the day if the sun was not out it was very dark. The day I checked out, it was raining and I was surprised how dark the garage was, I got into my car as quickly as possible.
I would have expected the garage to have photosensitive lighting. That was a disappointment as well.
I feel pretty safe when I travel to Ocean City, but that parking garage made me very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Just be aware that there isn't much separating you from your neighbor's balcony, and if you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I would like to apologize that you felt unsafe during your stay walking to your vehicle because safety is one of our top priorities here at the Grand Hotel and Spa. Your suggestions and comments will be reviewed by our entire management team and given the appropriate consideration. The parking garage is currently on a timer, but again your suggestion for a light sensitive system is appreciated and will not be discarded without discussion. However in the future if you would like a member of our team to escort you to your vehicle we would be more than happy to accommodate you.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We hope you will not let this detour you from staying with us again the future.

Best Regards,
Matthew Brown'
Assistant General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My son and I have been staying at the Stowaway Grand Hotel and Spa for a few years now. The hotel is our favorite in OCMD. We have gotten to know the staff and the staff has gotten to know us by name.Wehave always had great times while staying at the Grand. The rooms are very nice and have great views of the beach. It seems like every time we are at the grand we get to see dolphins swimming riht off the beach and on more than one occassion we have seen a few whales. The service at the Grand has always been top notch. The staff there always seem to be working together not as a staff but as a team. We are looking foward to our next stay at The Grand.

Room Tip: If you are booking the Grand make sure to request signature series floor with ocean front view. We f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding your numerous stays with us. Your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa is greatly appreciated. We are a team here, some might even consider us a family and that reflects on how we like to treat our guests, like an extended part of our family.

Once again we are truly grateful for your glowing feedback. We hope you are planning another getaway soon because it is always a pleasure when you and your son visit.

Best Regards,
Matthew Brown
Assistant General Manager

Been to Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!