“Great Package” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Lititz
“Great Package”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We did a package deal for the Winterfest of Lights and it was good. We had done this package before and loved that the tickets were included with the stay. However, I was dissappointed when walking into the room one could see that there was something not looking right with the one bed. The box spring was broken on the one side which made it hard from rolling out of the bed. We had stayed here before and like it but it is hard to relax when one is worried about rolling out of bed or one of your children rolling out. The other thing is the hot chocolate from the cafe downstairs beware. It is very hot that it was hard for my husband to carry up to our room. Our young son accidently knocked a book into one of the cups of hot chocolate that then split on his arm giving him first and second degree burns! SO BE VERY CAREFUL IF GETTING HOT CHOCOLATE FROM CAFE!!!! This may be something management will want to check into.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I thank you for bringing the situation with the bed to our attention. Please be assured that this is an isolated incident and we will certainly look into this further. All of your feedback will be reviewed by our management team because we take all of our guest's comments very seriously. After all your feedback is what assists us in improving the overall experience for all of our guests.

728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Somerset County, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel boasts being a great place. Great is the location which is on the boardwalk. Service is terrible. You get there and they want nothing to do with you once you've paid.
In July heat, they do not turn on the air conditioning in any part of the hotel lobbies or shops in the hotel and don't care when you complain either.
I was there for a week which was a hefty tab even as a group. I prepaid all but $100 for the week, which doesn't even cover 1/2 of a night rate and they would not let my roommate check in until it was paid.
When you've paid all but 1/3 of a night on a weeks stay, that is unreasonable.
They simply do not care if you enjoy your stay and I will not go back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
GrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is our goal at the Grand Hotel & Spa to exceed your expectations and provide you with superior service during your stay. I truly apologize this was not the case during your last visit to Ocean City, MD.

I understand and empathize with your frustrations during the check-in process; however our policy states that we must collect full payment prior to check-in. The air conditioning runs throughout the entire summer in our public areas, but it is difficult to keep them cool with the large number of guests constantly entering and exiting the building during the warm summer season. I will most certainly share your feedback with our management team and it will be taken into consideration to better accommodate our guests during the check-in process.

Once again, I apologize for the less than pleasurable stay and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to prove why we are considered the premier hotel on Ocean City's boardwalk. Please keep us in mind for your future travel plans to Ocean City, MD, and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

East Berlin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed here twice now, both times as a chaperone for the Youth for Christ ALIVE Conference for middle schoolers, held in November. It is always a great weekend and the stay at this hotel is a big part of it. Many of these kids have never stayed in hotels before and they get to have a room with an ocean view! They are very excited.

The rooms are clean, neat, and spacious. There were five of us in our room and even with the cot, it was not cramped.

The cot, however, was not the most comfortable thing, but most people aren't going to have to deal with that. Or they can make their kid sleep on it. :)

The lobby area is spacious and pretty, especially decorated for Christmas. There is a 24-hour coffee/snack shop right inside the doors to the beach. The arcade and the pool keep the kids busy for a bit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate all of your kind words and I am pleased we were able to prove once again why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. I am also overjoyed that you love our hotel because we love having you here! We look forward to having you and the Youth for Christ Conference back again next year!

St. Leonard, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for one night, Crusing Weekend. It was a busy weekend in Ocean City and for the Hotels, I was surprised there was only one person at the front desk, and felt sorry for them because they had to handle everything, people in person and on the phone.

The room was ok, nothing special. Was surprised to find a bar on the sliding glass door until I realized that all the balconies connect and there is only a see-through partition separating my balcony from the rooms on either side of me. A little unsettling for a woman traveling alone.

The other thing that was unsettling was although there was great underground parking across the street from the hotel, However, I did not feel safe going to my car. The garage was well lit at night, but during the day if the sun was not out it was very dark. The day I checked out, it was raining and I was surprised how dark the garage was, I got into my car as quickly as possible.
I would have expected the garage to have photosensitive lighting. That was a disappointment as well.
I feel pretty safe when I travel to Ocean City, but that parking garage made me very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Just be aware that there isn't much separating you from your neighbor's balcony, and if you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I would like to apologize that you felt unsafe during your stay walking to your vehicle because safety is one of our top priorities here at the Grand Hotel and Spa. Your suggestions and comments will be reviewed by our entire management team and given the appropriate consideration. The parking garage is currently on a timer, but again your suggestion for a light sensitive system is appreciated and will not be discarded without discussion. However in the future if you would like a member of our team to escort you to your vehicle we would be more than happy to accommodate you.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We hope you will not let this detour you from staying with us again the future.

Matthew Brown'
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My son and I have been staying at the Stowaway Grand Hotel and Spa for a few years now. The hotel is our favorite in OCMD. We have gotten to know the staff and the staff has gotten to know us by name.Wehave always had great times while staying at the Grand. The rooms are very nice and have great views of the beach. It seems like every time we are at the grand we get to see dolphins swimming riht off the beach and on more than one occassion we have seen a few whales. The service at the Grand has always been top notch. The staff there always seem to be working together not as a staff but as a team. We are looking foward to our next stay at The Grand.

Room Tip: If you are booking the Grand make sure to request signature series floor with ocean front view. We f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding your numerous stays with us. Your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa is greatly appreciated. We are a team here, some might even consider us a family and that reflects on how we like to treat our guests, like an extended part of our family.

Once again we are truly grateful for your glowing feedback. We hope you are planning another getaway soon because it is always a pleasure when you and your son visit.

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We always stay at the Grand during the summer and always have a great vacation.We went for a couple of days during the off season and had a nice time, The staff was friendly,the room clean.It was a nice mini vacation.

Room Tip: we like to stay on the 9th floor.ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I'm overjoyed we could provide you with an ideal getaway and thank you for your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa. We only hope we can continue to be part of a tradition in your travels to the area for many years to come. All of your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having stayed in some grand hotels with spas I’d have to say this is not one of them. That said this is Ocean City (OC) MD not New York or Las Vegas. For OC this is a good hotel located on the far end of the boardwalk (21st street &BW). The views from the upper floors are super. The balconies are separated with partitions but are not private. The positives are parking, ocean views, microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator, clean room, larger than average size room. The restaurant, bar and coffee shop are accessible inside the hotel. The negatives are mattresses are too soft; bathroom is too small (you can’t close the door while someone is on the toilet), carpet’s too dark making the room too dark. I prefer tile in a beach hotel but for some reason the hotels in OC seem to all have carpet. The hotel lobby and front are in need of a makeover. Overall this is a good place to stay for most people for me the soft mattress are an issue. If you don’t mind the soft mattresses then I would recommend this hotel, having a kitchenette is defiantly a bonus for OC.

Room Tip: upper floors have the best views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. You are correct pertaining to your statement that we are not a resort property in New York or Las Vegas. We are a family oriented oceanfront resort style hotel. Our goal is to simply provide the cleanest room and friendliest staff you will find In Ocean City.

I am glad to hear overall you enjoyed your stay and your comments have been reviewed with our entire management team. However I would like to explain the reason the bathrooms are so small is basically due to the fact the room is so large. We actually offer some of the largest guest rooms you will find in the area, but unfortunately since more square footage was allocated to the "living space" for this reason during the design, the bathrooms were made a little smaller than you will traditionally find elsewhere.

We are also constantly updating the hotel every year, but unfortunately all of these projects cannot be completed at once. New flat screen televisions were just recently installed in our premium room types, updates to our wi-fi network were done, the decor of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were updated. These are just a few examples of the updates we have completed just this year.

I hope you will still choose to make us your choice hotel when visiting Ocean City, MD because we would love to become part of a tradition in your travels. Thank you once again for your feedback and business, it is truly appreciated.