“My Second Great Experience Here” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #38 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
East Berlin, Pennsylvania
“My Second Great Experience Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed here twice now, both times as a chaperone for the Youth for Christ ALIVE Conference for middle schoolers, held in November. It is always a great weekend and the stay at this hotel is a big part of it. Many of these kids have never stayed in hotels before and they get to have a room with an ocean view! They are very excited.

The rooms are clean, neat, and spacious. There were five of us in our room and even with the cot, it was not cramped.

The cot, however, was not the most comfortable thing, but most people aren't going to have to deal with that. Or they can make their kid sleep on it. :)

The lobby area is spacious and pretty, especially decorated for Christmas. There is a 24-hour coffee/snack shop right inside the doors to the beach. The arcade and the pool keep the kids busy for a bit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
We truly appreciate all of your kind words and I am pleased we were able to prove once again why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. I am also overjoyed that you love our hotel because we love having you here! We look forward to having you and the Youth for Christ Conference back again next year!

Best regards,
Michelle Gentry
Front Office Manager

712 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
St. Leonard, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for one night, Crusing Weekend. It was a busy weekend in Ocean City and for the Hotels, I was surprised there was only one person at the front desk, and felt sorry for them because they had to handle everything, people in person and on the phone.

The room was ok, nothing special. Was surprised to find a bar on the sliding glass door until I realized that all the balconies connect and there is only a see-through partition separating my balcony from the rooms on either side of me. A little unsettling for a woman traveling alone.

The other thing that was unsettling was although there was great underground parking across the street from the hotel, However, I did not feel safe going to my car. The garage was well lit at night, but during the day if the sun was not out it was very dark. The day I checked out, it was raining and I was surprised how dark the garage was, I got into my car as quickly as possible.
I would have expected the garage to have photosensitive lighting. That was a disappointment as well.
I feel pretty safe when I travel to Ocean City, but that parking garage made me very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Just be aware that there isn't much separating you from your neighbor's balcony, and if you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I would like to apologize that you felt unsafe during your stay walking to your vehicle because safety is one of our top priorities here at the Grand Hotel and Spa. Your suggestions and comments will be reviewed by our entire management team and given the appropriate consideration. The parking garage is currently on a timer, but again your suggestion for a light sensitive system is appreciated and will not be discarded without discussion. However in the future if you would like a member of our team to escort you to your vehicle we would be more than happy to accommodate you.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We hope you will not let this detour you from staying with us again the future.

Matthew Brown'
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My son and I have been staying at the Stowaway Grand Hotel and Spa for a few years now. The hotel is our favorite in OCMD. We have gotten to know the staff and the staff has gotten to know us by name.Wehave always had great times while staying at the Grand. The rooms are very nice and have great views of the beach. It seems like every time we are at the grand we get to see dolphins swimming riht off the beach and on more than one occassion we have seen a few whales. The service at the Grand has always been top notch. The staff there always seem to be working together not as a staff but as a team. We are looking foward to our next stay at The Grand.

Room Tip: If you are booking the Grand make sure to request signature series floor with ocean front view. We f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding your numerous stays with us. Your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa is greatly appreciated. We are a team here, some might even consider us a family and that reflects on how we like to treat our guests, like an extended part of our family.

Once again we are truly grateful for your glowing feedback. We hope you are planning another getaway soon because it is always a pleasure when you and your son visit.

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We always stay at the Grand during the summer and always have a great vacation.We went for a couple of days during the off season and had a nice time, The staff was friendly,the room clean.It was a nice mini vacation.

Room Tip: we like to stay on the 9th floor.ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I'm overjoyed we could provide you with an ideal getaway and thank you for your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa. We only hope we can continue to be part of a tradition in your travels to the area for many years to come. All of your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having stayed in some grand hotels with spas I’d have to say this is not one of them. That said this is Ocean City (OC) MD not New York or Las Vegas. For OC this is a good hotel located on the far end of the boardwalk (21st street &BW). The views from the upper floors are super. The balconies are separated with partitions but are not private. The positives are parking, ocean views, microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator, clean room, larger than average size room. The restaurant, bar and coffee shop are accessible inside the hotel. The negatives are mattresses are too soft; bathroom is too small (you can’t close the door while someone is on the toilet), carpet’s too dark making the room too dark. I prefer tile in a beach hotel but for some reason the hotels in OC seem to all have carpet. The hotel lobby and front are in need of a makeover. Overall this is a good place to stay for most people for me the soft mattress are an issue. If you don’t mind the soft mattresses then I would recommend this hotel, having a kitchenette is defiantly a bonus for OC.

Room Tip: upper floors have the best views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. You are correct pertaining to your statement that we are not a resort property in New York or Las Vegas. We are a family oriented oceanfront resort style hotel. Our goal is to simply provide the cleanest room and friendliest staff you will find In Ocean City.

I am glad to hear overall you enjoyed your stay and your comments have been reviewed with our entire management team. However I would like to explain the reason the bathrooms are so small is basically due to the fact the room is so large. We actually offer some of the largest guest rooms you will find in the area, but unfortunately since more square footage was allocated to the "living space" for this reason during the design, the bathrooms were made a little smaller than you will traditionally find elsewhere.

We are also constantly updating the hotel every year, but unfortunately all of these projects cannot be completed at once. New flat screen televisions were just recently installed in our premium room types, updates to our wi-fi network were done, the decor of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were updated. These are just a few examples of the updates we have completed just this year.

I hope you will still choose to make us your choice hotel when visiting Ocean City, MD because we would love to become part of a tradition in your travels. Thank you once again for your feedback and business, it is truly appreciated.

Denver PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice hotel for the price. They had a indoor and outdoor pool. Both clean. There was a bar by the outside pool which was very nice. The room was a decent size but the bathroom was petty little, there was also a dead bug in our room, but other then that the room itself was clean. It was nice that they let us stay one night on a weekend and most hotels do not let you do that. Hotel was right on the beach. It was far up from the board walk but if you love to walk you could walk down to the rides and shops. I would go back. The imployees were very nice and friendly. They called us when are room was ready because we got there before check in. There was also a bar in the hotel and they have darts and a pool table. I did wish that had breakfast. They do have a cafe bar in the bottom of the hotel. Decent coffee not best ever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy that you were able to enjoy all of the great amenities the Grand Hotel and Spa has to offer.

I hope you will make us your choice hotel for all of your future getaways to Ocean City, MD because we would love to have you back again for many years to come. Thank you for all of your kind words and we truly appreciate your feedback.

Yours in Hospitality,
Sykesville, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The bad: bed bugs. My kid's room was on the 11th floor. They took a nap and woke to bed bugs. Daughter was bitten. Both queen beds had bed bugs. Uncomfortable beds and hard pillows. Expensive rooms.

The good: management was apologetic and changed our rooms immediately taking this very seriously. We received 25% off, for financial compensation. No problems with the other rooms. High shower head for tall folks, great water pressure, nice staff. Coffee in room. Great view of ocean. On the boardwalk. Shops in lobby. 24/7 cafe. Easy access and garage parking. Roomy balcony.

Room Tip: For cooler weather, the south side high up will give you a great view and block the wind.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately in today's times this type of situation has become more widespread in busy destination or corporate hotels due to the increasing number of guests traveling from many different areas of the country and world. This fact along with the high number of guests that check-in and out everyday has contributed to this issue.

After a very thorough inspection of your room by our management team and professionals, traces of bed bugs were discovered. It was determined that they were just recently introduced to that particular room and most likely brought into the hotel by the previous guest. They were not prevalent and we were not notified of any issues until the date of your stay. The Grand Hotel and Spa takes these types of issues very seriously and the situation was addressed and corrected immediately, a follow up inspection has also been completed as well. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the fashion in which the situation was handled.

I hope you will not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. We hope to see you again in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!