“We love this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“We love this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

My daughter and I (who is 8) stayed at the this Holiday Inn every summer for 4 years and LOVED it! We went either early or late in the season to take advantage of the lower rates. It is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in. I have stayed in a couple of different places to try to save money and I must say it has been hard! The indoor pool at this hotel is the best! It's open and connected to the bar and causual dining area so it does not have the hot and humid nasty feel other indoor pools have. If you have had to sit in one of those pools with your kids you know what I mean. The outdoor pool is the best on the boardwalk and I like that the hot tub area was outside as well. Great location on the Boardwalk! Lots of kids and I watched from my balconly every single morning as people would save seats AT BOTH POOLS with towles and then not show up for hours! Something needs to be done about that. Although very expensive (425.00 a night during peak season) I think it's worth it if you have the money. I had to stay at a different hotel this year and paid $270.00 a night but as you might expect was not as happy.

• Liked — Outdoor kiddie pool
  • Disliked — Price is high
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Spent 4 days at the HI Suites and it wasn't enough. The children loved the pool with all the slides and spent hours on end enjoying it. Yes, as the previous traveler stated there is a problem with people waiting on line two hours prior to pool opening to take the best chairs and tables. I don't know why she had to add the "chubby" people comment .... that's ridiculous and malicous. Anyway... the kiddie pool was very busy, but it's expected during July and August.... if it gets too crowded the beach is just steps away and there is an adult pool as well. The pools opened at 9 and closed at 6. I think that's a bit late to open and early to close, but I figure it's due to the fact that they have pool side rooms. Never waited at the pool side bar... sat my Chubby Ars down in a chair and used the waitress service... yes it was a little slow, but hey your on vacation. Only complaint about the bar service was that the drinks were very weak. When I asked them to spike it up they charged $2.00 on top of the 6$ for another shot.

As far as the room goes, everyone is going to have a different experience..... In a large hotel there's going to be some that have a problem. We on the other hand had a lovely King/jacuzzi oceanfront suite. Everything seemed clean. The bed was delightful... linens crisp, great mattress and a lot of fluffy pillows. Our two children slept on the sleeper sofa and said it wa cozy. Loved the fact that they had their own room and their on DVD and TV. Hubby and I enjoyed some privacy while they were busy in the living room. Nice kitchen. Everything you could possible need, even down to a blender. We enjoyed the shower head, but could see how one would not enjoy the fact that you can't adjust it... I think they call it a rainfall head or something.

Kids ate free with paying adult at the pool side and in the restaurant. Had breakfast on the last day and it was very good and reasonable. Pool side menu is very reasonably priced and loved that the kids ate free! (I guess they made it up on the drinks LOL). Not crazy about the indoor pool being right next to the open (atrium type) restaurant. I was a little turned off of the smell of chlorine prior to eating. Once your in there you don't notice it any longer. Great for the rainy day we had on Friday. They also have a small game room and they post activities for the children throughout the hotel.

If you want a hotel on the boardwalk and it's important to have a nice pool and facilities for the children... this is the best place. I walked up and down that boardwalk and there in nothing that comes close. Now if you don't care to be on the boardwalk then for the same money go to the Hilton ocean front. Last year we stayed at the Park Place which has been rated #2 for the last year or two and were absolutely miserable with that horrible pool. The locating is great (very busy part of the b.w.), the rooms were very small, but clean. But when the children have had enough of the beach and want to have fun at a nice pool and you go to that street facing little (not so clean) pool... well it was a drag. So this year we went for the big bucks and you get what you pay for (although all OC hotels are overpriced in season). It killed me to pay $425 a nigth plus tax for a H.I., but it was worth it because it had everything we wanted in a family getaway. If we didn't require the nice pool and only wanted the beach and location then there would be other choices. The Holiday Inn Suites was wonderful. Can't wait for next year. p.s. the Staff was very helpful.

• Liked — chilldrens pool and access to the boardwalk and beach
  • Disliked — Pool could be maintained better
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

Just back from the Holiday Inn in Ocean City after a brief (and unexpected) stay there.

We had originally booked three nites at the Quality Inn Boardwalk next door but found it to be such a dump upon arrival that we walked over begging for a vacancy. The friendly counter clerk claimed she had only one available–a two room suite that was almost 3 times the cost of what we had planned to spend originally. The place was gorgeous though and, after a long day of travel, we decided to stay.

Our room was equipped with an older big screen TV in the living area, a complete kitchen, a very cool jacuzzi in the bedroom, a nicely tiled bathroom with a double shower and great views on three sides. I’ve been coming to OC for years and this is by far the nicest place I’ve seen.

But...there were some things I did not like. The bathroom shower had these cheap pinpoint shower heads that cannot be adjusted so if youve gotten too much sun, taking a shower can hurt. A recliner in the living room seemed old, worn and hard to operate. When I put my hand down on the inside in search of a
control lever, I discovered goop and crumbs that had not been cleaned. The balcony, bed headboards, phone and TV remote also seemed grungy. One TV remote was missing completely and I had to ask for new batteries for the one I had. The soda machine in the vending room was broken. And I found it odd
how they put a washer and dryer in the vending room –the dryer kept the place too warm and melted the chocolates dispensed by the candy machine.

The indoor pool seemed nice though and was thoughtfully laid out with the Coral Reef restaurant/bar just next to it. Although while we were having dinner there at about 9 pm one evening the pool was full of kids yelling “Marco-Polo” at each other. The outside pools were overly crowded and I watched with disdain
from our balcony each morning as chubby people with tattoos would claim entire rows of lounge chairs for their comrades who wouldnt show up until later in the day. Although there were signs asking guests not to do this, nobody on staff challenged the practice.

The outside pool bar was chaotic as well. I spent about 10 minutes being completely ignored one afternoon before being able to place an order. While waiting, I couldnt help but to grimace as I watched the cook run his hands along his hair and sweaty neck, get a dirty ladder out from under the counter to
stand on, put it back and then proceed to use his bare hands scooping up food to put on plates. I didnt see anyone behind the counter wash their hands the whole time I was there. The food was all pretty good though as OC standards go–just don’t watch it being made..

Our big gripe though was the water coming out of the bathroom ceiling starting on the second day. This seems to be a common problem here. A call down to maintenance before we went to the beach for the day should have resolved it, but we returned later to a bathroom with gunk all over the toilet and floor from an
apparent attempted repair...yet the waterfall from the ceiling continued to flow.

Fearing it was 'toilet water', I called the front desk at 6pm to report the ongoing flood and was assured that maintenance would be right up....but I did not hear anything until about an hour later when three latina housekeepers came to the door to offer me extra towels. When I asked about the flood, they radioed for help and then explained the maintenance guy was working on the problem at a different location or something...I don’t know....

Anyway, the maintenance guy finally shows up about ½ hour after that and explained that he needed to replace some pipes in the ceiling the next day. Apparently the family on the floor above us had been instructed not to use their shower at all until the repairs were made–and no other rooms were available for
anyone to move to.

So, the next morning we got up and just decided to go home a day early. I just could not justify spending $450/nite for a room without unfettered access to a clean, working bathroom and did not want to have to relocate elsewhere. Manager Brian was a good guy about it all though...apologized and comped me a nite
for the trouble.

All in all though, this is a nice place with a good location and a friendly staff. I would really like to see the management be more proactive though at these rates and pay attention to details of maintenance, housekeeping and good customer service. The Quality Inn Boardwalk next door at one point (in the not so distant past) was the gem of the boardwalk but has since been driven into the ground by seemingly uncaring management. The jury is still out on the Holiday Inn though–hopefully the right people will recognize the incredible potential of the place, work out the kinks and have us all not wanting to stay anywhere else.

If you can afford it–give it a try. And insist that they deliver a consistent, first-class experience every time.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We have stayed at the HI Suites several times over the last couple of years and have found the hotel exceptional in accommodations, location and service. Would consider the Hilton but too far up on 35th. HI located at 17th. An almost perfect location for quieter boardwalk life. The rooms, including the bath, are spacious enough that 4 adults aren't running into each other. The balcony is large enough to seat us comfortably. And what a view. Didn't see any Atlantic Dolphins this visit from the balcony. One thing they could improve on is the water pressure for showers. The hotel, rooms and furniture do appear a little worn. But for us, HI Suites is still the only hotel we would consider staying now or in the future. Parking has never really been an issue with us. Would we prefer to always park under the hotel and out of the sun, why yes, but that is not realistic. Our special thanks to Brian and his staff for giving us another wonderful visit.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — showers
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
august7
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a short beach vacation with our 14 month old and my inlaws- we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn, where we had previously enjoyed our stay (albeit in the off season).

I was disappointed with the hotel, to put it mildly. We truly enjoyed our time at the beach, and the location of the hotel is unbeatable. However, the amenities were not up to par for a hotel that charges what they charge per night.

The day after we arrived, our room on the fourth floor had water all over the bathroom floor. It was leaking from the ceiling whenever the room above was using their shower or bath. We contacted maintanence and they came and worked on the room while we were out. Well, the next day there was more leaking and while I was in the shower, the entire shower curtain bar came down from the ceiling! The water in the ceiling tiles must have made the screws loosen. Maintanence came and fixed the curtain bar, but there was more leaking on our check out day and there was dirt all over the tub from either the leaking or maintanence in the tub to fix it.

There was also the parking problem that everyone mentioned- both my inlaws and my family had cars there, and we were originally charged for having more than 2 adults in the room, so we expected to get 2 parking passes. They were not able to give more than 1 pass, so we parked on the street. They did remove the charge for the additional people in the room though, so we were happy with that.

The pool area was nice, very crowded in the kids part, but always clean in the morning and the towels were clean and warm.

The restaurants were clean and the staff was very nice and helpful, the food was better than I expected it to be.

In the end, they did not charge us for one night plus tax because of the bathroom issue, so I am pleased with how the issue was resolved, but I am surprised they aren't keeping up the hotel better than this. If this doesn't improve, in a few years the hotel will deteriorate.

• Liked — Beach access, pool area
  • Disliked — Bathroom, cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My friends and I stay at the Holiday every year for Cruisin' week in ocean city. It is a little pricey but its such a nice place. Room service will bring you anything you need. The rooms are kept very clean and the beds are actually comfortable. The only bad part is the really low shower pressure. When I get to the holiday every year, its like coming home. I love it.

• Liked — The rooms are big!
  • Disliked — shower pressure
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

Came here in June of 2006 for a week's vacation with my parents and girlfriend. While I don't remember the exact price we paid, although I do know it was on the pricey side, it was worth every penny.

Service was amazing and you could get anything you wanted just by calling the front desk, which for the price is to be expected.

Make sure to get an oceanview because the view from the balcony was amazing.

We had 2 queen beds in our room, and although they weren't spectacular they were clean and there was a TV there and we hooked up the dvd player from the living room and watched movies at night.

The kitchen was outstanding with a full refrigerator, stove, microwave, and dishwasher we saved a lot of money we would have spent eating out.

Then there was the bathroom, which was extremely clean, had dual sinks and a jacuzzi included, the jacuzzi was amazing especially after a long day walking the boardwalk.

The living room was also very nice with a dining room table a TV with a DVD player sofa and matching sofa chair.

As an added bonus high-speed internet is included at no additional cost, which for a weeklong trip is becoming an essential.

There are 2 outdoor pools, 1 for kids and 1 for adults, as well as an outdoor hot tub. We only got to go once because of cooler weather. The kids pool is very nice although it is very busy. The adult pool is very simple, but was very uncrowded. Both of the pools overlook the ocean which is right on the otherside of the boardwalk from the Holiday Inn.

The Hilton Suites has gotten a lot of good reviews; however the location of the Holiday Inn is a lot better than the Holiday Inn especially when it comes to access to the boardwalk.

The Holiday Inn is on a quieter part of the boardwalk then if it was closer to the pier; however it is still close enough that walking to the end isn't out of the question. I would also recommend getting up to ride bikes when it is permitted early in the morning.

If you are looking for a hotel for any stay longer than 3 or 4 days, I don't think any Ocean City hotel could compare to the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites.

• Liked — Everything About The Room, The Pool, The Location, The View, Jacuzzi, Kitchen
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Ocean City? Share your experiences!