“Nice Hotel, Kind of expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
New York City, New York
“Nice Hotel, Kind of expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for four days during the tail end of August. By far, the nicest hotel in the area, especially with regards to the outdoor pool. Although my kids were too old (13-19) to enjoy the slides, the younger ones really seemed to enjoy it. Very easy direct beach access, except beware, there are three flights of concrete steps (at least 30 steps or so) leading to the beach. The steps were always clean and dry, but if you are visiting with anyone with limited mobility, these steps would definitely be a problem. You can, however, go around through the parking garage of the hotel to avoid them. There are a few shops at the base of the hotel on the boardwalk, which was convenient, especially considering that my son forgot his flip flops at home. Easily rectified. Also, there is a CVS right across the street for milk, bread, and other essentials, so if you only need the bare minimum, don't bother venturing out to a supermarket, you can get everything you need there.

The location is great, the walk to the main boardwalk area was probably about a mile, but it goes so fast that it doesn't feel nearly that long and there's a tram that runs the length of the boardwalk for $3.00 per person if you don't feel like walking.

As far as negatives for the hotel, there weren't many. The biggest complaint I have is that although Wi-Fi is advertised, it is DEFINITELY not available throughout the suite. The suite has a living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and balcony. The ONLY place in the room that I was able to connect to the Wi-Fi was in the living room and even then, the single was poor. The Wi-Fi accessibility in the pool area was also sporadic, some places, you could connect, others you could not. This probably wouldn't bother most people, but it was a terrible inconvenience for me personally, enough that it could prevent me from staying here again. To add insult to injury, when I reported it to the front desk, I was simply handed the access code with a shrug and told to "try again."

Also, the coffee pot in the room is a tiny 4-cup coffee pot, and although it brewed excellent coffee, if you have more than two coffee drinkers, it's definitely not enough! The hotel provides coffee (regular and decaf), but it is contained in its own pre-packaged filter, so if you bring your own coffee (which I did), make sure you bring the small filters too (which I did not!).

The balcony was great. You can hear the ocean at night, it is very soothing and the views of the sunrise in the morning were amazing. I would definitely recommend paying the extra money for the oceanfront room, it is more than worth it. We were on the 6th floor and although the noise from the pool area during the day did travel upwards, you couldn't hear it with the balcony doors closed.

The fitness center was well equipped with a couple of treadmills, bikes, an elliptical and some weight machines. The machines were all in good condition and they have a few flat screens mounted in each corner of the room so that you could watch while working out, if you chose to do so.

The indoor pool seemed a little cloudy, but the kids did use it one night with no complaints. By comparison, the outdoor pools were very clean, especially considering the amount of people in them!

All in all, as stated, the hotel is by far the best choice in the area. I might venture a little farther north next time, just to save a couple of bucks, because it was quite pricey and we took the car everywhere we went (with the exception of the boardwalk) anyway so it doesn't really matter if you're not staying in the center of the action.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Flinton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the nicest hotel in Ocean City, MD. I've been vacationing here for 23 years & this is by far the best. The rooms were super clean!!! The balcony was larger than normal. The pool area was so nice & fun, although it was not properly managed. The lifeguards never blew their whistles, the play area was like a free-for-all. My niece was hit in the head by a boy on a boogie board floating around the lazy river. I told the lifeguard, but she apparently didn't speak English because she just kept smiling & never told him to take it out. The wristbands were never checked upon entering & people were using the pool that weren't even staying there. My only other complaint is, no music at the outdoor bar. For the price you pay, these are minor requests to improve your stay. I did enjoy it & will return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for a little mini-honey moon. Was on the top floor (14th) with a room facing the ocean. Everything was very clean, room had a balcony and a jacuzzi tub.

Restaurant in the hotel wasn't worth the price, too much straight bar food. Across the street is a little cafe called Melia's Cafe and it was really nice to sit outside for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at this property for the first time earlier this week and absolutely fell in love with it. Friends of ours stay at the Hilton and I would put this property right along with it. Beautiful resort with great amenities, a surprisingly good restaurant, and a friendly staff. One slight knock is that there's a bit of a problem with people reserving beach chairs at the kid's pool but not using them. If that's the worst thing that can be said, that's really saying something.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a vacation with your kids. The pool area is by far the best on the boardwalk for the kids. The staff was helpful and attentive. The rooms were clean. The workout facility is nice if you do not want to run outside. Location is about 1.5 miles from the main boardwalk amusement area so bring a stroller if you want to walk there and back, otherwise you can also ride the tram for $3 per person.

Room Tip: Pool and tram on the boardwalk can be heard. the higher the better if you do not want to be bothere...
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here in the summer of 2011 and our kids love the pool area. I would have to complain about the lack of supervision and the early 6PM closing time. It would have been nicer if it were open later, but my main complaint is the life guard. We used the pool three times on this stay and had the same female life guard each time. She just did not care about her job, and it showed. She never got off of her chair and from her position, she can only see half the pool. If someone were in trouble on the other side, she would never know. Also, there were always older teenagers there causing trouble, and even when it was brought to her attention, and she acknowledged the behavior was wrong, she refused to correct it. Seems she was scared to speak to anyone over the age of 10 or so. The teenagers ran rampant, probably because they knew they would not get into trouble. They were climbing over walls, cutting off little kids in line, sliding down the children's slide 4-5 kids at a time, bumping into little ones at the bottom. My husband stood at the top of the slide and I stood at the bottom in order to protect our children. Finally, my husband addressed their awful behavior with them, and they decided to leave the pool. 4 parents walked up to thank him for speaking up. He shouldn't have had to though, the life guard should have done it. She might as well not even be there, for the little work she did.

The front desk staff is wonderful. We were to leave this hotel and spend the weekend at another, and our reservations fell through. The staff took calls from us every day attempting to extend our visit, even though they were filled to capacity. When something opened up, they took care of us wonderfully. We were able to extend our trip by an additional 4 days, with a room switch, and everyone was great about it. They gave us extended check out in our old room and offered the first room clean in the new room so we had no lag time, we went right from one room into the next. The kids loved the Jacuzzi tubs, we loved the three heads in the shower, a wonderfully relaxing shower! The full kitchens were great, a full size fridge is a big plus.

The Coral Reef café has greatly improved. Last time we were there, we did not like it at all, but this time, we ate there several times. The breakfast is not very good, but the lunch and dinner are excellent.

There is fresh fruit available at the desk every day and twice there were no bananas, to the great dismay of our 4 year old daughter. And each time, someone stopped what they were doing and went in the back to get her the bananas she wanted.

Right on the boardwalk, the location is great. Can't beat it, and I'm sure we will be back again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked 3 separate suites at the Holiday Inn for my daughter, my son their spouses and children and my husband and myself. We booked this hotel basically sight unseen. It got excellent TripAdvisor reviews and that's what we went on. We were not the least bit disappointed. The suite was just as it states on their website. The suite was roomy but most of all clean. The kitchen has a toaster, full size oven, microwave, full size refrigerator, blender, pots and pans, plates, glasses, etc. The utensils were minimal - I'm glad I packed plastic utensils. They provide dishwasher detergent, and liquid dish detergent. They are very generous with bath soap, shampoo (no conditioner), body lotion, mouthwash and individually wrapped eye-makeup remover pads (loved them).........the bathroom is nice an big with a gorgeous jacuzzi tub, double sinks, etc. We used the free washing machines and dryers - they sold the detergent at the front desk but we just packed our own. One dryer wasn't working properly and I notified the front desk. The maintenance man came up to fix the dryer before I was finished with my laundry!!!! Very prompt service!!! We were all on the 7th floor - the ocean front view is unbelievable! The kiddie pool (I even went down the slide many times) was a hit for my grandchildren!! The restaurants were very good - children ate free which was a huge savings and much appreciated!!! Staff was very friendly and they even had children's organized activities. My grandchildren enjoyed picking a fresh fruit everyday from baskets that were beside the front desk. Yes, the hotel is pricey but in my opinion it was worth every penny!!! So glad we chose the Holiday Inn. I forgot to mention the great location on the boardwalk - away from the hustle and bustle but within walking distance to everything. We had a great vacation!!!!

Room Tip: Upper floors are quiet and the ocean front view is breath taking!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Ocean City? Share your experiences!