“Good Stay for Families, Not Couples” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Take 10% off
Ranked #45 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good Stay for Families, Not Couples”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We paid $407 for two nights. Hotel was packed with families and certainly not ideal for a couples getaway. Be prepared for long waits at the elevator! Amenities were OK. Room was clean. Walls were very thin. Very close to the beach and walking distance to restaurants. Good enough for a last minute accommodation for a weekend escape.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We do try to market all of our hotels to families and provide all of the amenities for a wonderful family vacation. Maybe next time you stay with us, we would suggest on of our condominiums that is up on the higher floors and a little more away from all of the activities. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in Ocean City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It is amazing to note that The Carousel Hotel in Ocean City, MD is the ONLY hotel in the world that houses a beach and an ice rink. You may be lucky enough to see former Olympian Dorothy Hamill skating too. Great location.

Room Tip: beachfront, of course is the way to go!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for thinking we are amazing. We strive to create a great atmosphere for families on vacation and try to provide many activities including our world famous ice rink. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Hello all, vacationing with extended family can be quite challenging but when you stay at the Carousel, all your worries will disappear. Everything from fine dining to jumping waves this hotel has exceeded my expectations. Yes on the review's I read that this hotel had a large pool, hot tub, sauna and a Ice skating rink. But when I got there it was unbelievable....Really! A ice rink in a hotel, in the summer?? Yup and there it was...not too shabby either, with nightly shows and rink side dining, outside dining and movies on the beach; it was great! We enjoyed ourselves every night the pool, the beach, the arcade and the movies; I'll give my experience 2 thumbs up. The rooms were comfortable but could've been upgraded. Overall we would visit this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for recognizing that we are a great family hotel. We are so glad that you took advantage of all of the value added amenities that we provide for our guests. We look forward to your next visit and appreciate your comments.
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Atrium rooms are a great deal, but be warned of non stop blaring music from the ice skating rink in the atrium. The music starts before 10 am and continues all day until 10 pm. Otherwise the rooms are very clean but dated. The bedspreads and blankets have seen better days... bring your own! Also, there isn't always hot water in the shower. :(

Room Tip: Spend the money for the ocean view rooms. avoid atrium view rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We’re sorry that your stay wasn’t exactly up to your expectations. It can get a little loud in our Atrium area, but we would have gladly moved you to a quieter room if you requested that. Some of our guests like to be right above the Atrium because they enjoy watching all of the activity, however we do understand that some guests want to be away from all of the activity. We are constantly upgrading areas of the hotel and we are sorry that the blanket and bedspreads disappointed you and will take note of that. If there was a problem with the hot water in the shower, we would have gladly had our maintenance team go to your room and take a look at it. Next, just let us know. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.
Adelphi, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I hadn't been to Ocean City for 20 years and I booked a 2 bedroom Condo that slept 8. This condo was the best, the view, the beach decorations, the large balconey viewing the ocean. The condo was very clean and having a washer and dryer in the room made coming and going to the the beach so much easier. The Carousel caters to the kids, with the ice skating rink, game room, movies on the beach, the indoor/outdoor pools, so many things for the kids to do you really didn't have to leave the resort. Before we left I booked another Condo for next year that is how happy and relaxing my stay has been. Thanks to the staff, the security guy Chris and Julie Schmidt for being so helpful. I am going to recommend the Carousel Condo and Hotel to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: I recommend Ocean Front Condo on higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and are so happy to hear you will be coming back next year. We appreciate your compliments on our staff and your recommendations to friends and families. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Westminster, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We have stayed in the Carousel for the past several years for all of our family trips to OC. Usually, we have a good time, which is why we kept coming back to this hotel. This year, I felt like I was in a completely different hotel. I'll just list things out...

1. Flies. Flies. Flies. Everywhere, flies...wasn't there a horror film about flies? Oh my gosh, they were everywhere. I tried to use the carousels restroom in the lobby and there had to have been at least twenty to thirty flies in there. We ate dinner in the atrium to watch the ice show one night and I could hardly stand it. Paying $100+ for dinner to have it mercilessly prayed upon by flies. Disgusting. This was not an issue in past years, I don't know what's going on now.

2. Call me selfish, but we paid to have dinner at the carousels restaurant "rink side" for the ice show. There are some spots of the ice rink where there are tables and the other side is for anyone to walk up and watch. There is a spot in the ice show where the performers hit beach balls out to the kids watching for them to take. Not one of the performers hit a beach all into the section for those of us who were paying to eat dinner....all the beach balls were hit to just the people who walked up to watch. The skaters also snubbed high fives to the kids at the tables during the performance. It was really crappy, IMO. This should be fixed ASAP.

3. I had to buy my own beach chair because the "complimentary" beach chairs have to be returned by 5 and we (and many others) stay out on the beach until 6 or 7...even the lifeguards don't leave until 5:30. The girl told me if I didn't return the chair by five I would be billed for the chair. I don't think so.

4. Housekeeping, or lack thereof. I never did get the girl to leave coffee stuff each day. Also had to ask for more towels twice. One of the days the towels did get left for us, they were on the floor by the bed and not in the bathroom. She never picked up the dirty towels ( I put them in a single pile in the bathroom). She also left us one night with one of the beds having a fitted sheet and just the quilt. The top sheet and the blanket were missing.

5. Hotel management, communications, and what not. My husband smokes electronic cigarettes that blow out water vapor when you smoke them. They don't have the toxins like normal cigarettes do. He used it in the atrium and a security person told him they were not allowed, less than five minutes later, the same person returned and apologized saying the he was mistaken and electronic cigarettes are permitted inside the hotel. The following day a security guard named Harry ( who I remember from past years and always rubs me the wrong way) told my husband they are NOT allowed. I went to the front desk to confirm and they didn't know either. Are they allowed, are they not, who knows...he used it anyway.

6. We stopped in the hotel gift shop to buy my daughter a bathing suit. While we waited for her in the dressing room, my husband bounced one of the beach balls they have like dribbling a basketball. The American woman in the gift shop said " stop that, if you hit someone with it they will yell at me". Um excuse me, last time I checked we aren't 12 and can manage to bounce a beachball without poking someone's eye out. If you don't want them being bounced don't inflate them. If it weren't for my kids being there, she would have gotten an earful.

7. Hotel management, communications and what not, part 2. We went on Wednesday to sign our kids up for the Thursday camp carousel. The guy told us they were all booked up and we could sign us up for the Friday camp instead. My kids were so excited. We stopped by Friday afternoon to confirm the times for drop off and pick up from the camp to find out there was no camp that night. The camp is only tue, thurs and sun. Well we were leaving that Sunday so my kids didn't get to go to camp carousel. This is not the desk guys fault, he was very apologetic. It is the fault of the hotel management for not providing proper training.

8. Ice skating. I put my kids skates on and tied the laces for them. The laces made my hands smell like feet. No hand sanitizer anywhere around down there. Should really put some hand sanitizer there if skate laces aren't being sprayed as well as the insides.

9. The breakfast buffet. Stale breads, dry eggs, flies on the pastries. Inattentive foreign server who did not appear to have proper knowledge of the food/beverages. Did not know if they had coke Or Pepsi products, what kind of juice they have, etc.

Taking each issue we had is not so bad, but all of them together in the week we stayed there was just intolerable for me. We will be moving onto bigger and better things when we stay in coming years. Very disappointing to say the least as we have a lot of memories in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Flies can sometime be a common problem at all properties in a beach town depending on the heat and which way the wind is blowing. I can assure you that we do take preventative measures and we do spray for flies each evening. It is not a constant thing at any property. As far as rink side dining, and having the skaters hit the balls into the dining area, we choose not to have them do that because people are eating dinner. If someone wasn’t paying attention, they could easily have a drink spilled on them and of course we would not want that,

The Carousel Group Hotels are the only ones in town that offer 2 complimentary beach chairs during your stay. We do ask that the chairs are returned by 5pm. We do apologize that this disappointed you, however we do it for several reasons. We do not want people to swim without a lifeguard present and because the lifeguards leave at 5 we feel that asking that the chairs be returned is not an unreasonable request. We also have so many other activities going between the hours of 5-8 such as camp carousel, nightly ice shows, movies on the beach and family photo nights that we feel our staff members are more valuable to our guests assisting with those activities rather than waiting for 2 beach chairs to be returned. For the most part, this is the first time we have ever received a complaint about our beach chair policy. Most of our guests are thankful that they don’t have to pay $12 a day to rent beach chairs.

We received no requests or complaints from your room for additional supplies or linen. Had we known you were having a problem, we could have taken care of this.

As far the electronic cigarettes, we apologize that our staff member did not know our policy on this. We prefer that all smoking be done outdoors and not inside the building.

We do apologize if there was a miscommunication for Camp Carousel. We can assure you that it was not intentional and we are sorry that Camp Carousel was already filled up. It is a first come first serve basis and we only allow so many so that it can be a great experience and all of the kids can receive a great deal of attention.

Your observation about our skates is simply not true. Every time skates are brought back to the skate shop they are sprayed with sanitizer. I’m sorry that you did not find the breakfast buffet up to your standards. Your comments will be discussed with our food and beverage manager.

We do hope that wherever you stay during your next vacation to Ocean City, that the hotel meets all of your expectations and they can offer you everything that the Carousel offers and more.
Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a few days. Was a great ocean view. Loved the coupons we got for booking online with them and also enjoyed the free beach chairs we got to use each day. The beach bar and grill was really nice and had live music. Inside bar was also nice with decent prices. Free ice show was fun. It was just my husband and I but there are definitely a lot of families with children that stay here. (Lots and lots of children) The room was surprisingly quiet despite the noise in the atrium. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of so many of the amenities and value added activities we provide for our guests. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Been to Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums? Share your experiences!