“Doesn't get better with age” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #40 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Yorktown, Virginia
“Doesn't get better with age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is the same hotel that my parents brought me to when I was a kid. 30 years later, and 4 visits in between, it has not evolved, contrary to the managements' efforts. I loved it then, but not so much, now. There are too many places to stay on the beach front. Too many that are niche hotels and cater to your whimsical desires. I can't say stay here if you have the coin for a better place. I know it's seen it's fare share of renewing, but to me, it feels cheap and still requires a classic renovation.

Room Tip: Parking - Bad, Icerink - nice, pool - pretty cool, location - best part!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear valued guest, we are sorry your stay with us last January was not an excellent one. Since last year, when you stayed, we have renovated the ocean-view rooms, added new carpet to the atrium, upgraded the hot tub, family photo night, our oceanfront restaurant and so much more. We hope you give us another opportunity to make your vacation one to remember. We do pride ourselves on having the most amenities in Ocean City and hope your next stay exceeds expectations.

The Carousel Group Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Kauai, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I am visiting my hometown in Md and decided to take my kids to OC for the weekend and stay at the Carousel. The last time i stayed at this hotel was about 20 years ago and i was super excited to show my kids this property, we live in Hi and they have never seen ice skating, east coast beaches, a boardwalk, stayed in a high rise hotel, etc... in other words this was big exciting trip for them.

Anyway, we arrived around 11pm and checked in. I mentioned to the girl at check in how excited we were and she told me about all the renovations that had been completed so I was really interested to see our room and all the work that had been done. I went back to the car to look for parking and could not find any other than in the hotels garage next door so I dragged my sleeping 2 year old, 6 year old, and luggage by myself all the way back to the hotel. We were in the 3rd floor so we had to use the elevator so my 6 year old pressed the button and when it came, got in the elevator with a suitcase. I tried to catch the door while juggling luggage and the 2 year old but the door woukd not reopen. My 6 year old then didnt know what to do once in the elevator and my pressing the button for it from the outside wouldnt reopenthe door, it only called the other elevator. I finally screamed to her to press 3 and get out and wait for me. She did and we were luckily reunited on the 3rd floor. We then went to our room, on the way there i noticed the room numbers were of various styles and mismatched as if they get replaced once broken or stolen, the hall walls were dirty, and it just had a "cheap motel vibe". Upon entering our room, i was in shock.... the room description listed a balcony, which there was none. The room had horrendeous lighting in the entry and 2 additional lamps in the bedroom area both of which would not work (one didnt work at all and the other flashed on and off). The bathroom appeared to have never been updated since the place was built, the decor was worn and outdated and overrall uncomfortable. I was not pleased at all with the room and was tempted to call and ask for a room change but as previously mentioned we were all exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep.
We had finally unwinded and fell asleep around 1:30am when our drunken neighbors arrived back to their rooms. The people in the rooms around us must have been together as they were banging on each others doors, yelling and overall rowdy which continued for the next hour or two. I realize this is not a true reflection of the hotel and can occur in any property however my husband and myself work in hotel management and there is usually security to patrol for these types of things. At this point i wanted to checkout and find another hotel but as we had booked on hotels.com and prepaid i didnt think we would get the money back plus family we were meeting were also staying here.
The next day we met up with family and saw their oceanview room.... it was like different hotel! Im sure the expedia, travelocity, orbitz,hotels.com bookings get the horrible rooms, like i said i work in hotels, i know how that works but the rooms on the side have no balcony and are just terrible. If you do decided to stay here dont book on a discount website. My rooms price was actually the same as on ths hotel website but i booked on the discount site to acquire more room nights for a free hotel night stay.
We met up with them at the ice rink which was neat but nowhere near as nice as i remembered. The pool looked nice but we never did get time to swim. That evening prior to returning to my room i stopped by the front desk to ask for more coffee as i declined housekeeping services and asked for a late checkout. The guy said he had no more coffee at the fd so he would send some up, i said thats fine. He also gave us a 1pm checkout which was nice. Once in the room we got ready for bed and over an hour later we still had not received the coffee so i recalled the fd and said i hadnt gotten my coffee. He seemed to have no idea who i was or that i had requested anything and said it would be right up. I was tempted to verify i did have a late checkout but was tired didnt care anymore at that point. About another 30 mins later i finally got about 5 new packets of coffee and was able to go to bed.
The next morning i went to make coffee to find they were all decaf! So all the coffee drama from the night before was pointless. I also forgot to mention the amenities, they are like some dollar store conditioning shampoo and just terrible, if you do stay here bring your own!
I waited over 2 weeks to write review i hopes it would be a bit nicer since i would forget most details. Truthfully, i did forget a lot and i still have this much negativity. This trip and hotel was a complete disappointment, maybe i had set my hopes too high or didnt remember how it really was but it seems as though it is still surviving because of people like me looking for nostalgia and convention business however they really should renovate properly or at this point tear the place down and start over.

Room Tip: Dont book via a travel wholesaler (orbitz, hotels.com, expedia, etc...) they will give you a terribl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, thank you for choosing the Carousel for your family vacation, and all the way from Hi too! We do have staff members who would have been more than happy to help you with your luggage if you wanted assistance, additionally, we allow guests to park in the loading zone when they are unpacking their belongings. We have plenty of bell carts to make moving into your vacation accommodations a breeze.

We do apologize you found your room to be less than excellent, we have indeed been working hard to modernize the non oceanfront rooms but would have been happy to upgrade you if we had knows of your dissatisfaction. A room change would have taken a mere 5 minutes, and again, we would have been happy to help you with your belongings. We know that traveling can be tiresome and we work hard to make your stay a comfortable one.

We do have security 24/7 who patrol the area to offer any assistance to our valued guests. Our staff is trained in managing any late night guests as well.

You are absolutely correct in stating that one should book through the reservations system and not a third party agency. We would have been happy to move you or refund your stay if we had known you were so dissatisfied with your accommodations.

We are proud to say we shut the hotel down for a few months in the off season to work on renovations to the rooms and the property. Thank you for being our guest, we hope you offer us another chance to earn you and your family's trust and business again in the future.

The Carousel Group Management Team
Nashville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Overall great experience. The kids enjoyed the downstairs arcade, indoor pool, and ice skating. We enjoyed the beach access and the view from our room was amazing. We would recommend this hotel for families with children of any age. This location is near access to other local entertainment outside of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for the excellent review! We pride ourselves on having the most amenities in Ocean City. Even in the off season we have so much to offer including our ice rink, game room, restaurant and lounge, indoor pool, fitness center and spa. We are happy to say we are Ocean City's favorite family friendly resort and we sincerely thank you for choosing us for your vacation getaway!

The Carousel Management Team
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Everything was just great and i would recommend the Carousel to anyone and everyone.
The service was great and the room was the best I could ask for, the pool and the hot tub
was all you could ask for.The resturant and the food was excellent, and the people working
at the Carousel were outstanding. John R. Dages Sr.

Room Tip: I was in room #246 and it was wonderful I couldn't ask for any thing better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear valued traveler, thanks for your great review but more importantly, thank you for being our guest. We work hard to provide a superior guest experience by offering exceptional hospitality and a great product. Your room was one of our fantastic Oceanfront Rooms overlooking the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. Thanks again for choosing The Carousel, we can't wait to have you again in the future!

Nags Head, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Never realized there was so much to do in the winter!! Cant wait for our family to stay again...next time in the summer!!! Great location for families....away from the hustle and bustle but yet still so much to do!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for the great review and thanks for choosing The Carousel for your Winter vacation! Ocean City is still gorgeous in the off season and although it may not be warm enough to swim, it is often warm enough for a nice stroll on the beach. The Winterfest Of Lights runs every night from November till the end of December and The Carousel has Live Ice Shows the last 2 nights of the year. Thanks again for choosing The Carousel and thanks again for the kind words!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great place to stay in Ocean City, Maryland!! My family rented 2 rooms last summer and we had the best time ever... we've been staying at different hotels each time we go, but will definitely stay at the Carousel again this year, providing they offer great specials like they did last year.We enjoyed everything they offered... ice skating shows, indoor and outdoor pools, whirlpool, musical entertainment by the pool, etc... you really don't even have to leave the resort....everything is here! The restaurant offered special deals, and the food was awesome... best place ever!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the rooms facing the ice skating rink.... could watch the shows from our balcony..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for the wonderful review on our oceanfront hotel! We are thrilled that you had a wonderful vacation and we are grateful to have been a part of it. As you mentioned, we have a ton of great family activities, many of which are included with the price of your room. Our restaurant is always evolving with great new specials and cuisine for kids and adults alike. Thanks so much for your review, we look forward to having you again in the future as our guest!

Carousel Hotel Management
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums is our favorite Destination Place in Ocean City, Maryland! This Place has it all! Ice Skating, Beach, Fun, Indoor & Outdoor Pools, Scenic sitting areas, Fun Family Movie Nights on the Beach, Free Wifi, Microwave, Sink & mini Fridge. Everyone wants Sun & Fun, but on the occasional Rainy Day there is plenty to do indoors too! The Restaurant is Wonderful & the Service is Great, the Outdoor Grill Area is Great, Quick & Amazingly Friendly Services, too! The Indoor Sports Grill is a Great Place to Kick Back & Catch a Game. The Location is Perfect, Everything You Need is in Walking Distance! Grocery Store Across the Street as well as Fast Food, Various Restaurants & Scooter Rentals Too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear valued guest, thanks for the detailed excellent review! We do pride ourselves on having the most amenities in Ocean City. During the summer we have so much to do, morning noon and night. No matter what time of day it is, or however the weather, we always have so much going on. Our employees are some of the best in the business and we are grateful to have them as our own. As you mentioned in your review, our location is close to many dining options and local attractions. We are just a short drive from anything in OCMD. Thanks so much for the great review and we look forward to having you again as our guest!

The Carousel Management

Been to Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums? Share your experiences!