“Can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
New York City, New York
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is some of the best seafood I have eaten for a very fair price. It's very casual. Your food comes in a styrofoam platter and you sit on benches/picnic tables with sand at your feet. You're at the beach...it's only right.

The crab cakes are nothing but crab meat; no filler. The shrimp is delicious and the sides are also delicious. We ordered red skin potato salad and steamed corn on the cob. Now, if you're into crabs, you must go to On the Bay. All you can eat crabs for $25. They bring what seems to be an endless supply of crabs. They stop when you tell them to stop.

Like many of the other reviewers, I will reiterate the importance of arriving early. Tables fill up pretty fast. We had to share a table with another family, but it was big enough that we really didn't notice. Also, parking is extremely limited. If you're hotel or lodging accommodations are in close proximity to On the Bay, I definitely recommend walking.

MD
“On the Bay Crabs never fail to dissapoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Let me say the Steamed Crabs are the main reason this place gets a Very Good. If I weighed the facility more heavily, then my rating ould be significantly lower. Our family of four likes coming here for the All-You-Can-Eat Crabs. We are serious steamed crab eaters from MD, so we won't settle for "light as a feather" crabs that are all shell. This is why On the Bay keeps them waiting in line night after night. At On The Bay you select whcih size/price you want and pay before sitting down to eat. And they keep the trays of hot meaty crabs coming.
My son usually orders a different item, either a pound of snow crabs with corn and fries. The sides are also good. They have other meals available as well. Order and pay first, then they will seat you.

Some not so good things:
The seating is all outdoors. The hostess will ask you if you prefer shade or sun. While I like to sit in the sun, depending on the time of the day, the sun glare might bother you.

They seat you on picnic style benches and they often sit a smaller party with other guests. It's odd for us Americans to be seated with strangers, especially when we are being sloppy and cracking juicy crabs.
The BATHROOM!! Use the bathroom before you come. While there is a sink station for washing hands, the bathroom situation is very bad. You have to go behind the counter and back to the area where staff is steaming crabs to get to a teeny-tiny bathroom . It is for staff and customers alike. Often there is a line, and the employees are mad that the customers have to come back there. But that can't be helped. They really need a batter facility for toileting.

Frederick, Maryland
“Great for casual seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We dined here because it was across the street from our hotel and always packed; we now know why. Food was reasonably priced ($25 for AYCE crab) and servers were friendly. Not sure about the comment another reviewer made about not being obligated to tip - the servers are paid the same way others are and are reliant on tips to make their living (not to mention that they work incredibly hard). Atmosphere is casual - picnic tables in the sand, order at the window, food comes in styrofoam containers. Fountain drinks, beer, or frozen cocktails are the only drink choices, but they are reasonably priced as well. We had shrimp, crabs, and clams, all good. Our 11 year old was not impressed with the chicken tenders but discovered she liked crab so all was good. Would recommend and return again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wheeling
“Delicious and”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The food was awesome. We got crabcakes and king crab. Very, very good. Super casual... you sit at picnic tables in the sand. Very affordable and not obligated to tip. Orders are taken at the counter and the food is brought to you in Styrofoam containers. Get the potato salad!

Laval, Quebec, Canada
“Nice place to eat fresh food at Ocean City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is one of the best rating restaurant in Ocean City. I'm a lucky guy because my condo was at 2 minutes walk. The menu is extremely simple but there are master in what they serve and this is the secret of a good restaurant. I took a crab soup and a crab cake sandwich for about 15$. My sandwich was full a crab; not just of few chunk of meat. I'm not a great fan of seafood but I liked my experience.

• Visited July 2013