“Thank you Burgundy Inn!” 4 of 5 stars

Burgundy Inn
1210 Philadelphia Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Thank you Burgundy Inn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

After I booked and read some of the reviews on this site I become nervous about my decision to stay here. Granted, it was just overnight for an impromptu trip to the beach for my Bachelorette party, so I cannot comment on long stay's at this hotel. However, I can say that during our stay, this hotel exceeded our expectations & put all my fears to rest. Maybe I am just not a picky person. As some people say, you get what you pay for, and this is true. Anyone booking lodging in Ocean City, should not expect 5 star world renowned hotels. Unless you want to book the Hilton, pretty much every hotel & its amenities are similar. I know this because I go to OC every year and have stayed at many hotels & motels there. The reason I picked the Burgundy Inn was because I needed a room that slept up to 6 people and was still reasonably priced & didn't require a minimum of 2/3 nights stay. Is the Burgundy inn a 5 star fancy place? Of course not. BUT, our room was clean, beds made & bathroom smelled of cleaning chemicals nice and fresh. Fast & friendly check in, spacious room with plenty of space to pack all of my bridesmaids into and a comfy couch & kitchen area. One of the biggest mini fridges I have ever encountered at a hotel. We fit all our drinks & leftovers from dinner in with no problem. Beds were big & comfortable. No sign of bed bugs (we checked) & water temperature was hot and pressure was good, especially after I pulled a muscle in my back swimming. The Staff are what really make the place though. Upon check in they asked what brought us down and as preceded to tell them about my Bacheolorette party & some minor disappointments such as the weather and two bridesmaids canceling last minute, they promptly gave us a late check out free of charge. Apparently its an optional fee to check out at 3 instead of 10am which I think is a nifty idea to offer guests. But I was so touched with them gave us the late check out for free. She said since we were going to be out celebrating we would need to sleep in the next day and boy was she right! As an added surprise from the hotel the vacancy sign now also flashed "Best Wishes to Rachael & John". It was such a nice touch on their part. But then as if that wasn't enough my bridesmaids went to ask where to buy some pain relief for my pulled muscle and the hotel gave us some Tylenol they had, and them my maid of honor had a blister on her toe from her shoes and they handed over a band aid for her as well. Everyone was friendly, laid back and personable. I told them I would definitely return and recommend this hotel to others. It was such a good time, my maid of honor says when she gets married maybe we can all do the same thing for her Bachelorette party.

I personally think no matter what hotel you go to, no matter where its at, there are going to be good and bad experiences. No one bribed us with any Pizza nor did they have to because we were happy with our room & stay. Would have been nice to have some pizza though because our dinner at Bahama Mama's was truly something to complain about lol.

Room Tip: Ask about the optional late check out if you plan on being up late!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Honestly When we got there it didn't seem bad. The only reason half of the reviews on this site are good is because the hotel was offering free pizzas to anyone that wrote a good review. So in that case, who wouldn't. However the hotel is misleading. Stayed there for a couple days. You honestly get what you pay for and we didn't pay much! Its a cheap hotel so I wasn't expecting much! However we didn't even have room service which shocked me! We saw maids walking around but not once did any come to our room which was odd. Also throughout the couple days we were there we noticed we had ants and A LOT OF ANTS on our table! It was actually gross! When i went down to complain, no one seemed to be in the office. I tried not to be one of "those" guests so we let it go. Now that I think about it, what a way to trick people into writing good reviews for a half-decent motel. Its good if your looking for somewhere cheap, but don't expect much. Like i said you get what you pay for. Don't be fooled but the amazing reviews people pay. They probably just said it for free pizza, I know i did.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
BurgundyInn, General Manager at Burgundy Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2011
Thank you for your review—we need to hear from our guests so we can keep doing what we do well and fix what we must do better! You noted a couple of things that I would like to address:
We offered a free pizza for a couple of weeks in late August and early September to guests who scanned a QR code and posted a review to TripAdvisor, our website, or our Facebook page. This was a very limited promotion for a short period of time. We hoped for honest appraisals that we would use to evaluate our property and service through our guests’ eyes and make changes and improvements to enhance their stay. We felt that most of the reviews would be generally favorable, and were willing to take a chance on negative comments so we would have a more accurate picture of how our guests perceive The Burgundy Inn and what we need to do better.
Regarding the availability of maid service: Most of our housekeeping and maintenance staff are foreign students who return to their native countries in early August. We offer daily basic maid service during the peak summer months. We advise our guests at check in that we don’t have routine daily maid service, but assure them that if they need housekeeping services they only need to let us know and we’ll take care of it. We could have gotten rid of one or two ants before they invited their friends--and we'd have made your bed, taken out your trash, and done whatever else you may have needed! Perhaps you weren’t fully advised when you arrived and did not realize that maid service was available upon request. We will be more careful about informing our off-season guests that we are just as committed to providing a pleasant stay to them as we are to our summer guests—we just have to do it with a smaller staff and it may take a bit longer.
The Burgundy Inn is a small, family-owned hotel. We strive to offer comfortable clean accommodations at a very affordable price. While we are open year-round, during the off peak times of year we have limited office hours. We forward the phone to our Guest Services Facilitator who is available until late at night. The phone number is on the office door and is on all receipts, brochures, and paperwork. We'll make sure it's also posted in every room!
Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope that you will consider staying at The Burgundy Inn again to give us a chance to show you that we provide both the value that you have come to expect and the level of service that you desire.

Nancy
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

When you read these reviews on this site, note that the burgandy inn gives it's guests a free pizza for writing a good review on this site. Something to consider.

When we arrived, we sat in the small check in room for almost 30 min while the lady at the desk was on the phone with someone booking a room. She just let us sit there, never giving us a notion that she even saw us or tried to say sorry while we were waiting, which was fine, just not very friendly.

We had an efficiency room by the pool area. It was very small (as we expected) but not well taken care of at all. It had a dirty musty smell, a broken tile on the bathroom floor, cheese stuck on the bottom of the drawers once you pulled them open, and last but not least, a womans pad in another drawer. We looked past this and cleaned it up ourselves without saying anything, because it wasn't worth the time. We knew we weren't expecting anything great because of the price, but weren't happy.

Even for an efficiency, the bathroom was SO small. I am a thin tall male and had trouble moving around in there.

The pool area was small but not bad. We saw someone cleaning it each morning so that was nice. We are beach people and didn't use the pool but understand many do.

Friends of ours that were staying in another room had a refrigerator that didn't work and had to throw away some food they brought because of this.

A plus was the maid. She was extremely nice and always asked if we needed anything. The things we did need, she took care of quickly with no problem.

Basically, you get what you pay for here. It's nothing great at all. It made our trip a little less fun but we tried to looked past it because we spent most of our time on the beach anyways. Like i said, read these reviews with caution because they do give out free pizza's for good reviews.

Room Tip: not near pool area.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
BurgundyInn, General Manager at Burgundy Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for your review and comments. Although we love receiving 100% positive reviews, we value ALL comments and suggestions. We use the concerns that are posted to help us identify any areas where we must teach and/or retrain our staff, provide better customer service, and enhance the property.

We often receive verbal praise as our guests are leaving; many people refer their friends and return year after year. When they get home after a comfortable pleasant stay, most people do not have the time or desire to go online to share their experience. Those whose stay was less than they expected tend to express their dissatisfaction online more readily. Although we’re not perfect (yet!), we would like our online reviews to more accurately reflect the high number of satisfied guests that we have, and our efforts to provide value, comfort, cleanliness, service, and satisfaction to all guests of The Burgundy Inn. To encourage our guests to enter their comments and critiques online, for a couple of weeks we offered a free pizza to guests who completed an online review during their stay. We asked for honest anonymous evaluations, whether positive or negative. Those who responded received their free pizza immediately upon entering their review. The pizzas were given without our reading the reviews, and usually before the review even appeared online.

Anonymous online reviews are a valuable tool for us to continually assess and improve ourselves. But we wish our guests would just tell us if anything isn't up to their expectations! We take criticism well and will do all we can to make things right. Training our ever-changing seasonal housekeeping staff is an ongoing process—if they make mistakes or overlook something we can immediately address and correct the problem if we know about it. Sometimes it’s as simple as reminding a maid to plug the refrigerator back in after defrosting, and giving a guest an ice chest and ice to use to keep their perishable foods cold until the refrigerator reaches the appropriate temperature.

Thank you for your praise for two of our valuable year-round guest service employees—Bill takes great pride in keeping the pool clean and attractive, and Pat strives to assure that guests’ room needs are met, either taking care of it herself or letting the assigned housekeeper know that something needs their attention. Bill and Pat are awesome! I’ve let them know that their efforts are noticed and appreciated by our guests as well as by management.

--Nancy S., General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the inn. Very clean. Friendly people. Overall excellent stay.

• Stayed September 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Very friendly people . Very nice place to stay . Nice and clean neat . I will stay again and again . I will tell everyone .this is a great place

• Stayed September 2011
Joppa, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I just stayed at the Burgundy Inn for the first time last week. It was a nice suprise!
The hotel room was rather small, however, it was neat and clean. I would not suggest this room for more than 2 adults.

The grounds of the hotel are attractive and well kept. We enjoyed the swimming pool and sundeck. They planted beautiful tropical plants all around the area. There was also a washer and dryer to use for your convenience.

The location was excellent. It is extremely close to the beach and boardwalk which was great. (especially with kids)

The hotel staff is very cordial and professional . Nancy, the hotel manager, was particularly helpful. I asked her before we left if she would show me some of the other rooms they offer. They have a variety of much larger rooms than the one I stayed in. I will definitely come back to stay again, but next time, in a larger room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I'm currently a guest here at the Burgundy and was witness to some disturbing information...There was a dispute among the staff and for some reason the police were here. The ex-employee said that the hotel has bed bugs and she had a sheet of paper with her. She showed it to me so i took a picture of it and I can't believe this place would allow people to stay here knowing this!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
BurgundyInn, General Manager at Burgundy Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
We regret that any of our guests were witnesses to the incident described. One of our employees had been dismissed. Because we had concerns that she would be confrontational and disruptive to our guests, staff, and business when she came to pick up her final paycheck, management requested the police be present to serve a legal trespass order preventing her from returning to the property. As we feared, this former employee did attempt to disrupt business with malicious, vindictive, and unprofessional comments and behavior directed at both staff and guests. Please be reassured that we diligently strive to protect our guests from anything that might disrupt their vacation experience.

Been to Burgundy Inn? Share your experiences!