“Very Nice hotel with a few negatives” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Wayne, NJ
“Very Nice hotel with a few negatives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Overall, a very nice hotel with a few negatives.

First, the positives:

- Room was very clean and spacious
- the indoor pool saved us on the rainy day we had...we had somewhere to take our 4 year old.
- free wifi
- microwave and refrigerator in the room.
- even though our view was not "ocean-front," we had a room on the side of the hotel and still had a great view of the beach from our balcony.
- hotel is right on the boardwalk so it's a quick and easy walk to the beach.
-it is obvious that this is one of the cleanest, most well-maintained hotels in the area.

Negatives:

- The pool area is dangerous for children. Although the front desk will swear that they have non-skid surface around the pool, it is only on the outskirts where the chairs are. The tile directly surrounding the pool where your children will be walking is dangerously slippery. We told my son to only walk by the pool when we saw adults skidding everywhere. However, as careful as we were, he still slipped and hit his head twice....very scary. When we told the front desk, they just smirked and replied that they have wet floor signs there and a non-skid surface...no apologies. They send someone to mop up the tiles a few times a day but the surface becomes wet again immediately afterwards. It is a huge problem and is going to ruin someone's vacation with a trip to the emergency room.

-it clearly states that there are no roll away beds at this hotel, which is ridiculous. There were no king beds available so we had two queens. My husband slept with my four year old in one and I slept in the other. But if you have a bigger family, I can imagine it would be very difficult to squeeze everyone in a bed.

-the mattress was so hard that it actually felt like I had bruises on my hips from sleeping on my side.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, MeganD99. We all take pride in maintaining the hotel and it means a lot that our guests notice and enjoy our property. We try our best to keep our pool deck clean and as free of water as possible. I do apologize that your son slipped on the deck, we are continously adding a non-slip adhesive to our tiles around the pool area. Thank you again for your review MeganD99, and we look forward to accomodating you on your next trip to Ocean City!

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is worth the price. Great boardwalk location. Rooms are small, but very nice. Pool is extremely small. BEWARE OF SLIPPERY TILE SURROUNDING POOl!!! I slipped & broke a toe!! Put a huge damper on remainder if trip. Location is worth a multiple of small problems -enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for our review of our hotel Chenchy. I'm glad you enjoyed our location, I have to agree and say we have a prime spot in the middle of Ocean City's boardwalk. I'm sorry to hear about you injurying your toe at our pool area. I will have our staff make more regular trips to the pool area to try to clear the excess water, hopefully this will ensure no more accidents like yours happen in the future. Just for future reference, if you ever get injured while on vacation, let the front desk staff know. We can better take care of our guests if we know how they are doing; we have wheelchairs and other amenities available that could have made your stay more comfortable.
Arlington, VA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Location: On boardwalk. Walk 30 feet to the beach, perhaps another 200 feet to the water.
Price: For the location, price is okay; it's not a bargain and it's not overly expensive. For what you get in the room, it is very overpriced. You're paying extra only because the location is so good, because the rooms are rather modest.
Amenities: Workout facility looked decent; free coffee in the lobby (decent); the pool is nice and there is a smaller pool (called the Conversation Pit) which looks suspiciously like a hot tub, but is absolutely not. The Conversation Pit is the same temp as the rest of the pool. A few beds out in the courtyard area, but they do not appear to be remarkably well looked after.
Parking: Parking is available underneath the hotel at the street level and overflow parking is across the street.
Service: Average.
Overall: I would return, but not before looking for a better deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us, Francisco. I'm glad you enjoyed our location, and I think you will find a lot of the hotels in the area charge similar rates for a similar location. I'm happy you were able to take advantage of our complimentary coffee services in the lobby as well as our indoor heated pool, these are our two most popular amenities we offer here at the Courtyard. Our pool deck furniture does get a good bit of use; I will personally look into ways we can better care for the lounge beds to keep them looking good as new. Next time you head into Ocean City feel free to call the hotel directly, our front desk associates will be more than willing to help you find the best price for your dates.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City on June 26th thru 28th. I had originally had reservations at another hotel, but was able to stay at the Marriott (which was my first choice) with my government discount. The hotel was very nice. It is located on the boardwalk which meant I did not have to drive anywhere unless I chose to. I was able to check in early which was nice. We had a city view from the balcony, which was also nice because we also had a partial view of the ocean. My room was clean. The hotel was clean and nice. Everyone who worked at the hotel were nice and professional. We had dinner at the restaurant (Captain's Table) and the food and service was great. Staying on the boardwalk was an added plus for me. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. I probably could not afford to stay at the Marriott had it not been for my discount so I'm very grateful I was able to do so. I go to ocean city once a summer and it's usually just for the day because I could never afford to stay at a nice hotel. So I will be back next summer at the Courtyard by Marriott.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments, Ramona! The Captain's Table has been a local's favorite for many years, not only for their food but also their service, I will be sure to pass your review to their management. I'm so happy we were able to get you settled in to your room early! After a long drive I'm sure it was nice to be able to check in and relax right away. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to get our rooms cleaned efficiently and thoroughly in order to get our guests checked in and comfortable. Call us at any time to book for next year, we look forward to having you back!
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Did an overnight stay. Hotel is very clean with an excellent staff. Room was spacious with a small fridge and coffee for am. Very comfortable bed and nice linens. No pay per view which is always a favorite for a late night movie. The hotel also has a tea and coffee setup in lobby, late afternoon and early am. Restaurant was excellent both for dinner and breakfast. Portions for dinner were very large. Something for both adult and child tastes. Located directly on boardwalk but in a quieter area away from the honky tonk of the rides. Indoor pool very small. Some, but not many lounges and chairs outside area surrounding pool. The pool area does need to be maintained better as the floors were very slippery. I know this is hard to accomplish but a check every now and then would be a good thing. Also lobby has an area with a large table and games that should interest all. Lobby very well appointed with newpapers, small snack store and comfy chairs. Nice visit. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us, goodbyegirl. A special thanks for mentioning our staff, our associates work hard to keep the hotel in great shape and I will pass on your kind words to them. In lieu of pay-per-view movies, we do have compliementary DVD players at the front desk, and a DVD kiosk is well within walking distance of the hotel. Next time you stay with us request a DVD player and we will be more than happy to have one set up and waiting for you before you arrive. Thank you for mentioning the pool deck, we have all started to pay much more attention to the pool area in order to keep the deck as clear of water as possible. I agree, the Captain's Table Restaurant has a great selection for both kids and adults; it's a great addition to our hotel. I will be sure to pass your comments to them, I know they will be happy to hear you enjoyed their restaurant. We all look forward to accomodating you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Really lucked out in getting booked into this hotel. Most Marriott hotels range from fair to excellent and I'm an elite member of this chain. Parking was fair, given size of hotel not enough spaces and very tight parking. The lobby is pleasant, clean and contained seating area, pool access, bar and a restaurant. The rooms were pleasant, clean and well appointed. Beds were a bit soft and sheets were a little worn. Clean bathroom although very small.

Now onto particulars. Never Never Ever argue with a customer. Front Desk clerk who is rude to a customers should be reported. In my case, my key no longer worked in my door. Thank God I had ID on me, the young man I spoke with instantly said " are you sure your key doesn't work, cause I just tried it at my desk and it works". I politly said "I tried it in my door correctly several times and it would only turn red not green." He said "Well, I will go ahead and give you a new one." He said this in a way that really infuriated me, like he was doing me a really big favor and that I was still wrong to even insinuate that my key didn't work. When I said thank you, he couldn't even be bothered to say you are welcome. I had later found out from other guests staying at this hotel that he has a real chip on his shoulder and has been rude to other people as well. Wished I would have gotten his name, because I would have reported him to Marriott.

Next point, the restaurant was exceptional. Pricey, but worth the money. Had about 17 people booked for dinner and everyone of them loved their food. Service was very good and efficient.

Location of hotel on the boardwalk is also very good. Our room was alley side closest to the main street. So late at night we could hear the night crowds. But my hats off to the police and hotel security. They would keep the noise volume under control.

Bottom line, best hotel on the boardwalk. Checked out the competition and found them to be tired, worn, and very tacky in some cases. Feel that Ocean City needs a hotel face lift big time. The boardwalk is newish, clean, and pleasant to walk on. But the hotels really are quite bad except the Marriott Courtyard. We will see how long it lasts.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you very much for your review, 360traveler. As an elite member your opinion means very much to us and I appreciate that you took the time out of your schedule to write to us. I want to personally apologize for how our front desk associate handled your room key. For your security our associates are trained to ask for ID before remaking any guest keys, and when ID is not available we are more than happy to accompany you to your room and obtain ID at the room. That being said, I try to stress to our associates that it's not always What you say, but How you say it. We have an excellent staff and are usually known for our friendly and accomodating associates, you have my sincere apology that this was not the case for the young man you encountered. We all take great pride in our hotel, and I am thrilled you found it to be in excellent condition, you have my promise that we will continue to work hard to keep it the newest and nicest hotel here in Ocean City.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the Courtyard! After hearing and reading horror-stories and bad reviews on many of the traditional Ocean City hotels, I opted to pay the extra money and stay at the newer, more reputable Courtyard by Marriott. We were only there for one night, but we enjoyed our stay and would certainly return. The room (king; oceanfront) was small but adequate (fridge, microwave and pull-out sofa). Since this is a newer, more expensive hotel by Ocean City standards, my expectations were higher and they were all met. If you feel it’s worth the extra money for a quality room and service, you won’t be disappointed. Since our stay coincided with senior week, we were happy to find that not many seniors choose this hotel (probably due to the cost and the hotel has a policy that you must have an adult present if you’re under 18). The bed was great, the shower was spacious and the balcony was small but sufficient. My boyfriend and I had a great time just sitting on the balcony with a bottle of wine and watching the people go by. My only complaint is that we were at the end of the hall (3rd floor) near the stairs, and the slamming of the exit door woke us up and kept us up… if I was staying longer than one night I probably would have requested a change of room. Otherwise - GREAT hotel!!!

Room Tip: The end of the hallways seem to be louder due to people coming in and out of the stairwell (the door...