“Very nice hotel with a few small quirks” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Very nice hotel with a few small quirks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed there from April 18th to the 21st. Asked for and received an Ocean Front room. Room was very clean and well kept up. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Not all of the rooms here are Ocean Front, so make sure you specify that, if that is what you want. The room had a number of outlets which is important with all the gadgets we bring. There is no kitchen here, just a very small microwave and a very small fridge. No stove, dishes or dishwasher. TV was nice and they actually had HD service for their HDTV.. Most of the balconies are very small holding only 2 regular non reclining chairs with no room for a table. However we had a corner unit which had a wrap around balcony and 2 extra chairs. Still there were no tables outside. There is also not privacy on the deck as you can see all of the other balconies. Also, the balcony lights stay on all night with no way I could see to turn them off.

They did have an indoor pool, (but no outdoor pool), which I thought was a little small considering the size of the place with a conversation pool. It looks like a hot tub, but without the whirlpool effect and the heat. The pool chairs where nice and there was a table with 4 chairs. The glass doors were closed as it was quite cool outside but they could open up into a nice nice outside deck. There was also a fitness center just off the pool area. What I didn't like about the whole setup was that the bar was not connected to the pool area. You could order things, but there were no hotel phones to do so. Also, I do not believe the bar was open for parts of the day during the week during off season.

The Captains Table restaurant is a great place to get breakfast. We ate there twice. While it may cost a little more than the other breakfast places nearby, the quality of the breakfast was much better.

I question whether the parking they have is sufficient during the summer. During out stay, we did not have trouble finding a spot. The parking spots are very narrow and there were a few spots I simply could not get my SUV into, opting instead to park on the street. There is also overflow parking across the street.

If you are considering this place in the next few weeks, please check with the front desk about the status of the boardwalk replacement. They have been working their way up from south and had just finished up to 15th street on Friday. Got to hear a lot of hammering and sawing on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were fine.

All in all it was a nice place, but not quite as nice (nor as expensive) as the Hilton down the road where we stayed last year.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are ocean front, so please make sure you request an ocean front room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your review bobt54. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our amentities of our hotel. Our oceanfront rooms are some of the best on the boardwalk with the great views and perfect location within Ocean City. Our staff looks forward to serving you as our guest again on your next trip to Ocean City!

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
hanover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went with a big group of friends to Ocean City to take part in the Race for the Cure. We selected the Courtyard on the boardwalk, which was a good choice on our part. We had a room on the ground floor right on the boardwalk. Had it not been so cold and windy, it would have been great to keep the sliding door open.

The hotel is very strangely designed. You come in on the first floor and take the elevator to the third floor, where you check in. Since we were on the first floor, we had to walk around the pool and fitness center to get to the elevator that took us back down to our rooms. Odd. We also could not stay only one weekend night (the race was Sunday morning, so we had to stay Friday night as well).

Great location. Nice clean room right on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor right on the boardwalk would be very noisy during the summer.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel gomaysmom. We are happy that you chose the Courtyard by Marriot to stay at while attending the Race for the Cure. Our hotel has a modern build to which is why the 3rd floor is our lobby level and where all of our amenties are too. Our staff looks forward to seeing you and your big group of friends on your next trip to Ocean City!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Perfect hotel with a beachy yet modern feel. Clean rooms, great ocean views, excellent customer service, easy access to boardwalk and restaurants! There is also a great indoor pool on the same floor as the lobby. Also just to mention little amenities: mini fridge in room, free Internet in room, shower/tub, and flat screen TV. One of the days we left a privacy please sign on the door while we went to the boardwalk and when we got back the cleaning service left us a bag on our door handle with extra soaps and towels so we wouldn't have to call for more. That was so great!! Excellent hotel! Will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to OC!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for the great review of our hotel. We pride ourselves on consistently exceeding our guest expectations and ensuring that you thoroughly enjoy your visit with us. We are glad to hear that your stay experience was great and welcome you back on your trip to Ocean City!

See you soon!
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

What a great time everything was great from the time we arrived . The front desk clerk was very nice seemed caring not the usual bs script they give you. the room was very nice and roomy with a balcony and 2 chairs the weather was very nice down there to 70 at 10 oclock at night not to bad. The rate was good 153.00 that includes tax. Wish it could be this price in july but thats a dream lol. The pool and weight room where very nice also.bathroom was a bit small but it has a seat in the shower most marriotts dont have that in the shower only there gaylord locations and upper hotels.bed was nice and soft relaxing . Be sure to stay here if you can afford to during the peak months a very nice place and you will have a great time . The Ocean view was amazing a must if you are able to get theses rooms.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view the sunrise view is worth the price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for great review kevin k. We are excited that you were able to enjoy your time with us at the Courtyard by Marrriott. The ocean front rooms are the most popular rooms and being able to sit outside with great ocean view makes our guest say "WOW". It's great to hear that you got a great night's rest on our comfortable beds!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Ocean City!
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was looking forward to visiting Ocean City MD and I had read good reviews about this property.. boy what a disappointment. It started off with the front desk person who sounded very rehearsed in her customer service delivery in a sing-songy voice. While she was checking me in there was no pleasantries or smiles she just went through the motions. She then put a clipboard in front of me and said sign this. I asked what it was she said it was an agreement you have to sign to check in to the hotel. The "agreement" was that you keep quiet and not disturb others and also that you only drink alcohol from the restaurant downstairs in the hotel. This is fine with me .. I dont drink, but it led me to ask her if they have problems with people having parties in the hotel, she said no its just a precaution.. not sure about that. I got up to my room it seemed ok on first notice, but later on I discovered stains on the sheets and covers. The housekeeping changed them for me and later I noticed stains on the towels and rips in the towels. (ugh). The best part of the room was the balcony with ocean view. The worst part about that is they are doing construction outside on the boardwalk and we couldnt keep the doors open. I wish I would have known this. Room service was ok typical hotel service. I ordered a light meal with a soft drink the soda tasted like water (they put it in a plastic cup filled with ice) so I called back down and asked them for a canned container or cancel the soda off of my bill, she acted as though I had asked her how high was the moon like she didnt know how to take the soda off the bill.. she never did by the way. I went down to the front desk the evening before check out and asked the woman to email my bill and not put it under the door in the morning, she said she would take care of it. Lo and behold I got up this morning greeted by a bill stuck up under my door. The customer service, housekeeping and room service should polish up on dealing with the guest. We are here off season there is no reason not to be able to give the best service to your guest. I would also suggest,Marriott that you order more TV stations or offer a way to purchase movies in room like some of the other reviewers suggested it would be better than watching the few stations you have. I would like the opportunity to watch something other than CNN and basic local channels.
Bottom line for me to many little things added up and I will likely choose another hotel if I return to this area.

Room Tip: Ask before you book if there is any construction going on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review Traveluxx. I apologize if you felt that our front desk did not display any pleasantries at check-in for your stay. Our front desk is one of the best in Ocean City and we get great reviews on our staff. The linen for our entire hotel is new this year and has just been replaced in every room during the month of March. I apologize if there were spot on the on any of the linen in your room. The town of Ocean City has been renovating the Boardwalk and is almost completed. We apologize for this renovation; however, this is an item that our hotel has no control over at this time.

We would hope that you give us another opportunity to "WOW" you on your next trip to Ocean City.
Bethesda MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a very nice, clean fairly new hotel with a great location. We had an oceanfront room, which was an average size but everything was new in the rooms. The bathroom was a bit small, but the shower had a seat in it which I liked. All the fixtures seemed new. Unlike most Ocean City hotels, it was not cheesy, old and dirty, which is exactly why I could never afford it during peak. It was $179.00 off peak. I cannot imagine what they charge during season. There is a small market in the bottom, as well as a restaurant which we did not have a chance to go to. The front desk was friendly and helpful. There is parking underground and across the street. It was full on Saturday night underground, so I can imagine during season parking may be a problem. There is construction going on on the boardwalk but not right in front of the hotel, next to it. You do have to take a detour up the street to walk south on the boardwalk. The only reason I am not giving it an excellent rating is because I think it was still a bit pricey.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review Lisannez. We were excited to read your review and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is the newest oceanfront property in Ocean City. The hotel has plenty of parking in the summer with our two parking lots. The boardwalk renovation is almost complete and does not cause any issues with our hotel. Thank you for your stay!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Ocean City!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I haven't left DC for a few years and I wanted to get away no matter what. It was my 1st Ocean City visit and I stayed Friday through Monday-March 29-April 1. The hotel was a great choice, it's clean, up to date, with nice amenities-like free wi-fi and a friendly competent staff.

I had an ocean view room with balcony and it was great to step out and enjoy the view since the weather was still chilly, I used the balcony a lot, otherwise I'd have been sitting on the beach the entire time. The boardwalk sits in between the hotel and beach and is pretty busy-even off season, there are lots of people who pause to check out the hotel so it seems like they are looking in your room but when I sat on the benches outside, I could not see in anyone's room, including my lower floor room.

I like how there are so many openings to access the beach along the boardwalk. 2 openings right outside the hotel alone! Currently, the boardwalk is under construction after 15th St going toward the lower numbers. We just walked the beach until the boardwalk was intact again, I thought the busy carnival section near the inlet was pretty fun even though I usually can't stand that kind of atmosphere. I found Ocean City a very friendly place all around.

The front desk staff at the Courtyard was above average in my experience with front desk staff. If I knew the names of 2 front clerks I would have left the hotel a message about their great work with making us feel welcome and helping with some plans. I was a little stunned when they remembered us and asked how it all worked out. It was a very nice feeling. She also helped me figure out how to work the thermostat, since we needed heat, without making me feel bad about not understanding how that worked.

The Captain's Table inside the hotel, is a great restaurant with friendly staff and good food. I had breakfast everyday there and the mushroom omelet I ordered was the best I've had. I marveled over those mushrooms in fact, How? I have no idea, they were outta this world.

The lobby has plenty of comfortable seating to hang out for a bit and have some hot coffee or tea and we used the market as well, everyday. There are little flat screen tv's to congregate around there too and a newspaper rack to read is complimentary.

The elevators were quick but we used the wide stair corridor instead. There was another elevator which went directly to the parking garage, without using the main elevator. A key card was needed to go back up using that same elevator.

My family really enjoyed our stay here and we will likely return. The hotel really made our trip a success.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your reveiw painterlymuse. We are happy that your first trip to Ocean City was a stay at our hotel! Our hotel is a great place to stay in Ocean City with our oceanfront views and easy access to the beach and boardwalk. The entire hotel staff is here to make all our guest stays easier during their time with us; however, it's great to see our staff acknowledged!

We look forward to seeing you and your family on your next trip to Ocean City!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City? Share your experiences!