“Nice Hotel on the Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #14 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Nice Hotel on the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was our third time staying here within the past 12 months...twice in December ('11 and '12) to attend Christmas parties, and once in September as a stopover on our way home from Vermont. My overall impression is that this is a nice hotel, but the beach location must be what drives Marriott to consider this a '7' in their rating scale for what constitutes a free night in frequent sleeper points. So, while I do not feel that it deserves the high rating for free stays, it's nice enough that I have paid to stay there three times in the past year!!!!! The location on the boardwalk is really a great perk if you are so inclined to use it.

Now for the details.....the parking is crazy tight and the 3rd floor lobby is kinda weird. I have never asked why it is located where it is, but I have never seen another hotel arranged like this. For our three stays, we have had ocean front, side street, and Baltimore Ave. street rooms. The Baltimore Avenue room was in the best shape, as it appears to me the ocean front get the most use as well as wear and tear. It came with a jet tub and was really quiet despite the street location....must be because it was December and there was little Sat night traffic. And there was a sweet little in-room bar area where you could have snacks or make drinks that included a mini-fridge and microwave The beds are comfortable and the linens are also nice. They are very strict about smoking in the rooms ($250 fee per incident) and won't even let you burn a candle, or if I remember corectly, smoke on the balconies. I'm OK with that as I can't stand staying in rooms that have been smoked in. And because it is so clean, there is no need for a scented candle (why we always bring one). It could also be about fire safety issues, which is also OK.

Never have used the pool area, so can't comment. The bar is great, and we had breakfast in the restaurant this morning and it was very good and reasonably priced for what you get. The entire hotel is very clean.

The staff is the best thing about this hotel...they are professional and pleasant, and are willing to help out with anything that they can. This goes from the front desk clerks to the bar and restuarant servers.

We will continue to come here in the off-season as opportunities present themselves, but it's pretty pricey in-season due to the location.

Room Tip: Can't beat drinking your free morning coffee from your balcony overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your response Carl O. It's great to hear that our staff took great care of you during your stay with us. We are pleased that you've stayed with us 3 times over the past 12 months. Our staff looks forward to serving you on your next trip to Ocean City!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at this Marriott for two nights at the beginning of December (I intentionally tried to avoid Ocean City crowds in the summer.) The hotel had great rate ($125/night) for a two night stay for a room with ocean view. I must admit that I enjoyed the stay there tremendously. The room was really nice, with a perfect view, comfortable beds, very clean. TV and Wi-Fi worked perfectly too. The hotel is in a good location; very close to attractions downtown, and right on the beach. The hotel also had a good restaurant (Captain's Table), with really great tasting food (the service was a little bit slow though for my taste, and prices are a little bit steep, but food is still prime quality). The decor of the hotel is a little bit interesting; while I liked most of the furniture/decor, the carpets in the hallways are quite dated, and a little bit weird.

Another oddity: during check-in, guests are presented with a contract outlining basic "code of conduct" (most issues are self-explanatory like respecting other guests by limiting the noise, not taking hotel's towels to the beach, and not drinking (outside of one's room) alcoholic beverages purchased outside of the hotel); my guess is that things could get out of control during summer parties (?), but there was really nothing unusual in the contract (besides the fact that one is presented to a guest).

As other reviewers have noted, the parking under the hotel could get a little bit tight (parking spaces are quite cramped), but in the winter, this seemed like a non issue (the hotel's parking was not full, and there was also plenty of parking on the adjacent street). Also, the lobby at the 3rd floor is a little bit unusual, but not very problematic (elevators).

Ocean City out of season can be quite desolate (beware: many restaurants are closed, but still their window signs say "Open"; also do not trust too much the leaflets from the hotel; they list summer attractions, which are not available out of season). During that time, Captain's Table is an additional bonus providing quality food right on site (without need to search for what is open). Yet, there is still something to do downtown, and the Winterfest Lights are gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your response BB79705. Our staff was happy to see that you enjoyed your staff with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Ocean City!
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Decided to finally try the Marriott Ocean City in the fall/winter after going elsewhere during the summer due to the high rates. Location is great, not too far from the boardwalk action and exactly in front of the nice rocks in the sand that most people take pictures on. Like others have mentioned, the parking lot is very tight. At one point I had to squeeze in a spot between an SUV and a wall.....unfortunately my wife had to climb over to the drivers side to get out of the car. Check in was smooth. The lobby is on the 3rd floor of the hotel which is a little strange. Everything was right along with what you would expect at any Marriott.....comp coffee, cookies etc. ...but the hotel decor throughout the hallways was a little outdated (beach theme). Our room was spacious, and the balcony was decent, aside from the bright lights on all night. Don't expect to get a strong wifi connection....wireless or wired. The best thing about the hotel is the on site restaurant. The Captain's Table was excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner. Prices are a little steep, but the food quality is top notch and the waiters/bartenders were great.

Room Tip: Room 218 has a wrap around balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response drob2111. We happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy the restaurant too. Our staff looks forward to serving you on your next trip to Ocean City!
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I are Marriott members and stayed one night. After cooking and family visits we went to Ocean City for a quick break. Enjoyed the winter lights show with no line. Our view from the room was perfect. The room was clean and spacious. A Sunday night stay was perfect!

• Stayed November 2012
Shawn M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your response twinmom41. We are happy to hear that you had a perfect stay with us after your Thanksgiving holiday! The Winterfest of Lights is very popular this time of year and I am glad to hear that you were able to avoid the lines! Our staff looks forward to serving you again as our guest on your next trip to Ocean City!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a travel agent and stayed here for one night in November of last year and it was awesome. tend to stay at Marriott prodcuts when i can.

The rooms were new, updated, contemporary and clean. You can't beat the location right on the boardwalk.

However, the best part of the hotel is the restaurant. I got in around 7:30 after a long drive and just wanted to get a guick bite. When I asked the front desk they recommended their restaurant. I have to admit I generally don't think to highly of hotel restaurants. I looked at the menu and thought I could eat here. On top of it they had a nice small bar that I could sit at and watch TV. This appealed to me since I was traveling by myself.

I had the rack of lamb which was perfect. Everyone around me said there was terrific. We got to be so friendly that we all started sharing our food. I know that sounds a bit bizzare but you had to be there. The next morning I had breakfast, and again I was not disappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your response luv2travel068. It's great to hear from a travel agent when they have a great stay and really enjoy our restaurant! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ocean City!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Excellent hotel, great location, wonderful ocean view rooms with balconies, clean, and the hotel provides the amenities to relax ie,jacuzzi, indoor pool, exercise room, and restaurant with great breakfast, lunch and dinner. We spent a week for some fall rest and relaxation and it was wonderful. You could rest, relax and dine in the hotel or step out on the board walk, a short distance to the outlets or explore Ocean City and surrounding Wicomico County Highly reccomend this Ocean City hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response Salle53. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed all our amenities the Ocean City area! We hope to serve you as our guest on your next trip to Ocean City!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

First of all this hotel was very clean. The layout was a bit confusing because the lobby is on the 3rd floor, so when we were assigned to the second floor it made it confusing, however later I realized it made it more secure because when coming into the hotel the elevator opens at the ground floor and the lobby only, unless you have your room key you are not getting to any of the other floors from the elevator. They were very gracious about my 5 to 10 min. late check out. We checked in about 4:30 pm and went to the on site restaurant because we saw the
"early bird" advertisement in the elevator because we were pressed for time to go anywhere else. When we opened up the menu we were shocked at how expensive the prices were for dinner. For instance, chicken meal was about $24.00, Fish was $30 and steak about $35, plus on the menu they charge $ 6 if you "share" a dish, so when the waitress came, we were going to order soup and salad that was still overpriced, however we asked about the "early bird" special and she said "Oh yes you were seated before 6 pm so let me go get those early bird menus, she never offered them. The restaurant was not super fancy and the hostess looked like she just rolled out of bed her clothes hanging off her sloppy looking, not what you would expect for the prices they were charging. Overall the hotel itself, coffee in the lobby 24 hours, very nice, and coffee in the room with small refrigerator. Our room was ocean side view, very comfortable. Very nice staff that offered help when I was leaving. OVERALL do not hesitate to stay here, very nice place. We paid $168 for one night, but it was worth it.

Room Tip: Ask to be above the third floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response WannabeskinnyRN. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt secure during your stay. Our staff looks forward to serving you again on your next trip to Ocean City.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City? Share your experiences!