“Right by the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Dewey Beach, Delaware
“Right by the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very helpful staff and very clean rooms. Beds were comfortable and since we were there after Labor Day for 2 nights the pool was not crowded and it was heated which was a special plus. We forgot an item when we left and the staff found it immediately and we were able to get it back the following week. If we go to Ocean City again we will plan to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed 2 nights, just for a Minnie get away from Baltimore. And I loved it. It was clean, the staff was nice, and the price was reasonable. The only thing I didn't like was, we had to walk a long way on the board walk to get to the main attractions on the beach. I also didn't like that the pool at the motel closed at 9:00 pm. I believe adults over the age of 18, or 21 should have access. Because during the day, when I wanted to swim there were kids constantly. They were constantly jumping in and out of the pool, and they were taking the water from the pool, putting some in their mouths, and spitting the water back out on each other. Yuck!!!!! (And of course their parents had nothing to say), I was pissed! But overall it was a nice stay. We will not book this again though, we will book a hotel closer to the attractions on the beach, and with a all night pool.

Jersey City, New Jersey, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was a great place to stay at for a short vacation. Restaurants are close by, easy access to the beach which was right behind the hotel. Boardwalk is a close walk. Nothing really to do there though. There's an amusement park across the street.

Fairfax, Virginia, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I stayed here in August of 2012 and were happy with our stay. Even though the motel dates from the `60's, the rooms were clean, comfortable, and had decent amenities. My friend and I were actually impressed that the the room had a new flat scree LCD TV.

The staff at the Thunderbird Motel were VERY nice and VERY helpful. My friend found out that the motel is actually a family run business.

The location is also really good considering it is toward the upper end of the beach. The beach itself was with in a few steps of the motel, and we had easy access to everything else. Also, while the motel is not actually on the Board Walk, it is close enough.

All in all, both my friend and I were very happy with our stay, I would recommend the motel to our friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Great location, prices are decent comparing others. My only gripe is you get soap but no shampoo. Just remember to bring your own. You can really expect a lot from a place like this. Bathrooms are a little cramped. Overall for the value and location I would come back.

Hanover, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here with friends and the kids and it was a clean facility. The parking was a little bit of a challenge but the location is great and the prices are reasonable. It's close to the beach and isn't far from other attractions. It's a good room for the short amount of time we stayed in it while we were here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Woodbridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

my family and I frequently visit ocean city, MD for a nice cheap family vacation. we decided to stay at another motel this year because where we normally stay was booked the week we were coming( end of july 2013). It started off okay...close to the beach small motel pool. however it proceed to get worse. the bathroom was so small it made it difficult to even shower in there. not to mention they didnt have locks on the bathroom doors.the water pressure made me feel like i was standing under a broken sprinkler, not to mention that it frequently switched from ice cold to scolding hot. i traveled with small children who throughout the trip deveoped bug bites on their legs. at the time I ignored it and assumed they were mosquito bites. only to come home and realize we had been sleeping in a bed full of bed bugs! my worst fear!!! i called the motel a few days after my stay to inform them and they could not be the least concerned. overall seems cheap at the time but you will bring back some unexpected friends that will end up costing you and your family alot more than you bargained for. i would have rathered sleeped on the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dickie L, Manager at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
This is a very suspicious review! There has NOT been any issue whatsoever, with the accusation of bugs. No incidents before the weekend that you supposedly stayed, nor after the weekend you supposedly stayed. If there was such issues, those issues have to be taken care of professionally. This means that there would have been many more complaints. As can be seen from all of the other reviews this year, this motel has had nothing but great reviews. I and our staff take much pride in that.
If anyone knows anything about what you are implying, they know that such an issue would have to be addressed immediately. Also, the next guests in the room you supposedly stayed in would have experienced the same, because as I said before, that type of problem does not go away. Any records will show we have NOT had such problems. Furthermore, NOT any of our staff received such a phone call.
Call the manager, let him know the actual name the supposed room was under, and the dates that you supposedly stayed, and the room number that you supposedly stayed in.

Been to Thunderbird Beach Motel? Share your experiences!