“Very relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Very relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 days. PROS-The oceanfront room was GREAT. The room was clean and I found the bed to be very comfortable. I especially LOVED being able to open both windows, (with screens), that faced the balcony which brought the outside in. That was really a plus for me. The hotel was very convenient as the boardwalk tram stop was less than a full block away. Also, the location is good for fast food, stores, etc., right outside on the main strip. The hotel pool with jaquzzi was nice, and the complimentary popcorn during happy hour. The outdoor porch was nice, however, the "rocking chairs" really don't rock.

CONS-The only down side was the lack of friendliness of the staff. Also, the front desk staff and bell staff barely understood and spoke English. Immediately upon checking in, I found the staff to be very DRY and uninviting. A smile goes a LONG way. I like to feel that my business is welcomed, not that I'm interupting someone. I found this attitude to be among MOST of the staff, especially the bell staff and front desk personnel. However, a waitress in the restaurant, Carole, was very pleasant and the bartender was nice. In addition, we found an HBO guide in our room, but couldn't seem to find the channel. When I called downstairs I was told that the channel was not available. The next day started a new month and a NEW HBO guide was placed in our room. Again, when I called, I was told HBO was not available. Upon checking out I was told that the channel WAS available. I find it disturbing that front desk staff could be so uninformed, barely speak and understand English, and not pleasant. These staffmembers are on the front line! Finally, when my husband and I checked out, (late), we paid our balance with cash and a credit card. No one thought to mention that our balance had already been charged on the credit card on file. I only found out a day later. The charge was cancelled in about 2 days. Not good.

Overall, would I stay again? ....Yes. I think that the hotel itself, room, and locatio, definitely warrants a 2nd stay. However, If I find that certain things still exist I will move on and spend my money elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you book online be make sure you inquire whether you have a room or suite. It's not clear on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Dunes Manor is a very nice hotel located in a good location. The rooms have been updated which is great and all have a nice ocean view. Housekeeping was excellent with all our request( extra towels, pills etc.) when needed. The hotel is in walking distance to Jolly Rogers Amusement Park and a short ride down to the boardwalk. The hotel also has a 3.00pm Tea Time which is really nice to enjoy. I have no complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our first stay at the Dunes Manor Hotel and we were very impressed and pleased with the experience. It has a Victorian theme, with antiques, old photos of OC, etc. Reading about the owners and why they made the hotel the way they did was very interesting. We had a corner Queen room and found it very clean and quiet. We loved the view from the balcony, the sunshine streaming in the windows every morning and the roar of the ocean. The beach was very clean and nice. At the end of the Boardwalk, we were close enough to walk there whenever we liked and yet be away from all the noise and crowds.
The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast every morning and it was excellent each time. The free coffee in the lobby was nice to get before we were ready to come down to eat. We never made it to "tea and crumpets" in the afternoon, but heard it was very nice. Happy hour at the "Barefoot Bar" on the porch was nice...two glasses of wine for $5.50 is pretty good!
We found all the staff to be very polite and accommodating in every way. A lot of them are students from Romania or the Ukraine and although they have limited English, we had no problem understanding anyone.
The Dunes is probably geared more towards an older, quieter crowd, but we saw quite a few children there with their parents. We met and made friends with a few older folks who were a lot of fun!
As far as the elevators, I don't think we waited over 2-3 minutes ever for one....which, for us, was not a problem. The air conditioner was a tad loud, but most times they are and it didn't really bother us.
We also had wine in our room and never had an issue. There are signs about liquor, but it is a "state" policy and I am assuming the hotel must make you aware of it?
Our experience was very relaxing and wonderful and we definitely will be back again for another visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are Oceanfront... everyone has a good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I just spent our labor day weekend at the Dunes Manor Hotel. We have always stayed here from the most luxurious suite to the simplest room. We had no reservations and on impulse we just wanted to breathe some fresh air. Just recently traveled to Asia and though we promised not to travel for a while due to travel suffocation, we quickly changed our minds.

At the last minute, we were able to get a room and as others have said, every room here is ocean view. How can you be wrong with such a hotel? I will only stay in a hotel that has an ocean view. We stayed at the 9th floor so that's not a bad floor since there are 11 floors. To me the higher the floor is, the better!

We immediately noticed the new paint, the new carpet and when we got inside the room, no more heavy, stuffy, COMFORTERS! Yeyyy..The first hotel that doesn't have it anymore. It's the first thing I take out since I suspect that hotels don't really wash those comforters every time it's vacated by a guest. Does anyone ever see comforters in those room cleaning carts? I only see toiletries, bedsheets, pillow cases but never a comforter. NEVER. My guess is unless the comforter is visibly dirty, they might. But it gives me the shivers to even think about using a comforter at night. We never do and take it out instantly. So finally, a hotel that took it out, is looking out for me. Thank You!

The reason we love this hotel is because it makes us feel like family. I remember when Ms. Thelma used to be at the tea party at 3:00 in the lobby. She's no longer there of course and no one has taken that place to greet guests. But the tea and cookies are still there every day at 3:00 p.m.! You can ask as much as you want. They're not stingy here. I love to sit in the porch and feel the breeze as I sip my hot tea and eat my cookies.

The boardwalk is not that far and I really like the location since it's quiet. You're there but not quite there when it comes to the noise. I love waking up in the morning and watch the sunrise if I wake up early enough to cath it. If I don't, I can't miss renting a bike for $6 an hour at the boardwalk. They start at 7 a.m. and you'll be surprised how many are already there before you who woke up early. Biking is from 7 am to 10 am. After that, no biking is allowed for the day.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we extended it for one more night. Please don't hesitate to try this hotel if you haven't yet. I give it a THUMBS UP!

Room Tip: There's also lots of parking!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We've been going to the Dunes Manor Hotel for "several" years. They recently updated the rooms, which was a good thing.

For us, it's at the quiet end of the beach which is wonderful. It's very close to the boardwalk and a most enjoyable walk.

All of the rooms are ocean front and for me, I find it most relaxing to sit on your balcony and watch and listen to the ocean.

Zippy's Lounge is great for a cocktail and bar food.

Somewhere we are always comfortable and they are handicap accessible.

Room Tip: I don't think you could get a bad room, they're all ocean front.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Timonium, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Victorian style all rooms ocean front great service,close to tram car and board walk,life guard,pool spa 2bars.food excellent , nice piano players gift shop.parking great,great place for one and all. No problems with peeking toms etc.

Room Tip: All rooms ocean front
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

As others have stated the location is great! It's at the quiet end of the boardwalk and you do have to walk a bit to get to the typical boardwalk things. But then again, the tram is a very short walk away. The rooms are nice and very clean. The view can't be beat either. All the staff I encountered were polite and helpful. The only reasons I can't give it 5 stars are the bed and the AC unit. The bed was just a little too hard for me. The AC unit was a little on the loud side and blew hot air on you while sitting on the balcony. But with that being said,we will most likely return here on our next trip to OC.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dunes Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!