“Horrible place don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Royalton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Royalton Hotel to your Saves list
The Royalton Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1101 North Atlantic Ave., 11th Street & Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #102 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
“Horrible place don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

So I went for the weekend and I stayed here because I was only staying for one night and All the other hotels i called wanted us to stay for two nights. Well the hotel is in bad shape the rooms are very tiny you can barely walk in there! first of all the bathroom was not clean and also the beds! I would prefer paying at least 50 dollars more than staying in that place again! don't waste your money staying at this place it's horrible! The only thing I liked was the view from the balcony.

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Central Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Do not stay here! This was by far the worst room I have ever stayed in. We had paid $109.00 a night for a room that I had to clean and change the sheets myself before I even felt comfortable enough to stay in. First thing I checked was the beds… hair was on the sheets and when I removed the dirty sheets I had found pieces crumbled ceiling tiles under the sheets!!! After walking to the desk down 3 flights of stairs I was given new sheets to change on my own and was told to bring down the dirty sheets. The room also did not look like it has been vacuumed in weeks. The comforter was stained with what looked like blood and defiantly not been washed in quite a while. I would not even put it on the floor to walk on!! The whole building was rundown with a few exceptions that looked like an inexperienced and cheap remodeling job. The best thing about this hotel was the outside which was recently resided with pink vinyl siding and they had also added balconys to some of the rooms.

This hotel advertizes that it has a pool. It does not have a pool the hotel across the street has a pool. You must return your one and only key to your room to the front desk to receive a key to the door of the hotel across the street. This is a huge inconvenience if someone from your group wanted to stay at the pool or go somewhere else they could not get the room key back until you return the pool key. Also, if you lose the one and only key they will charge you a $100.00 fee.

At checkout I had asked the women at the desk if they are planning on remodeling the rooms and she had said not anytime soon. So I defiantly would not recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

The remodeling is really doing wonders for this place. Parking is a bit of a pain, but for the location of the hotel itself the price is well worth it. Oceanfront, queen, private (huge) balcony, remodeled bathroom/tub Sat-Sun $150. Didn't get to check out the pool located on another property, but at least its offered. We either lucked out with this one or some of the more harsh reviews were made by disillusioned people. Front desk/staff were friendly, not seeing the issue there, maybe we just didn't stay long enough. All in all I challenge anyone to find a place that puts you in the misdemeanor of the boardwalk, right at the waves, for under $200 a night this time of year. You get what you pay for, and I'm pleased with what I got.

Ruther Glen, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Filthy does not even discribe this hotel! There were hand prints above the headboard which should only leave to your imagination on what it could possibly be. There was mold and ants everywhere that we had to walk around and sleep with our shoes on. The balconies are not private. The ocean view is not even an ocean view, you have to stand on your toes just to see the ocean. The ripped plastic table cloth is tied using a hair tie! This hotel is straight out of a horror movie! I'd rather sleep in a public restroom on the floor! HOOKER HOTEL!

Room Tip: "Go to another hotel"
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Don't "PLEASE" don't. What a frightening Experence ... I'm all about cheap but Holy Jesus alil disinfectant would go along way. Stinky, Filthy, dirty, Crummy, AC what AC. No hot water only thing nice are the new balcony ....

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Should have listened to the reviews, but we didnt. Weve been coming to OC all our lives,and we know about the old hotels. We expected old but not filthy. The pillow cases had not been washed, mold in the shower, mold on the ceiling where someone splashed what looked like mac and cheese, it looked like the room door had been kicked in at one time by the large dent at the knob, the 'sleeper sofa' was so dirty and stained that i was afraid to sit on it let alone open up to allow my son to sleep on it. The one bright point was that when we left without spending the night, the gentleman at the desk was polite. we are going to dispute the charges with our credit card company.

NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This place was beyond horrible! My boyfriend and I are thrifty shoppers and look for bargains, but also completely expect to get what we pay for. However, the Royalton is an exception to that rule! To start, we booked our room thru Booking.com and brought our reservation confirmation to check in. They charged us an extra $10 stating, "That's what the price is, those website's mess up all the time." No "sorry" or even an ill fated attempt to honor the printed price. Onto the room... I don't know how they can get away with charging for a "hotel room" that is essentially a room in an attic! We had dormers and sloped ceilings with exposed rafters. The lack of insulation proved to be the reason why the tiny, cheap air condition that was turned to its coldest setting for the entire 4 day weekend did nothing to cool the room! We were in the room for a couple of hours, sweating, when we realized that it wasn't going to get any cooler. We walked the 3 stories down to the desk (because there are no in-room phones to call from) to complain, and they graciously lent us a box fan. Great. Thanks. They said they could move us the next nite because that nite was booked. However, first thing in the morning the next day when we inquired, they said the rooms had been sold out. It seemed there were plenty of rooms that featured balconys as you could clearly see from the outside, but we were obviously mislead and taken advantage of based on the room they stuck us in. There was 1 dirty, grimy chair in the room and a puny dresser to serve as our only surface area in the entire room. The bathroom sink was not even large enough to rest a tube of toothpaste on. There was a fairly large closet stuffed under the low end of the sloped ceiling, however no bar to hang anything on it... useless. We would never consider staying at this place again! Spend the couple extra bucks to avoid it!

Room Tip: Perhaps you could make a request to have a room with a balcony on the 1st or 2nd floor to avoid the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royalton Hotel? Share your experiences!