“Great location, Boardwalk View” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Atlantic Hotel
Save Saved
You added Atlantic Hotel to your Saves list
Wicomico Street, PO Box 120, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Ranked #17 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Sykesville, Maryland
“Great location, Boardwalk View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our first stay at the Atlantic. Hotel feels more like a Bread & Breakfast. Friendly staff and a big
thank you to Denise and Teneka for making our stay very enjoyable. Location and view from the
deck make this hotel a great choice. Keep up the good work and we'll see you next year.

Room Tip: Call ahead and select a room with Closet, Tub/shower, Frig/Microwave.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

In my opinion the hotel can easily be summed up by "Old but clean". This is the oldest hotel in Ocean City, but it has been updated. It doesn't have all the things many have come to expect in modern hotels (i.e. in-room safes, blow-dryers, electronic key-cards, irons and ironing boards already in the room) but it has all the basics of a hotel at the beach. Due to the age of the hotel and them having to remodel to add things like bathrooms in every room, every room has a different layout and amenities.

Advantages -
* Hotel is on the boardwalk, practically right across from Ripley's Believe It or Not. Can't get much closer to the end of the boardwalk.
* Room was very clean. Excellent job both cleaning between guests and every day. Considering this is a hotel on the beach, that isn't an easy job. Can tell by the wear in the sheets, blankets, etc. that they are washed often. From what I hear they totally strip the beds between guests.
* Low cost for in-season hotel rooms.
* Love the balcony overlooking the boardwalk.
* Large free parking lot right in the middle of downtown OC. Only one parking space per room, but still nice compared to others in the area.

Disadvantages -
* Lots of steps. Building is 4 floors. Rooms with only 2 digits in their number are on parking lot level. There are no rooms on lobby/boardwalk level (at least that I saw). 3 digit numbers starting with 1 and 2 are actually the 3rd and 4th level from parking lot respectively. They do have an elevator but due to its age it must be operated by hotel staff. They are more then willing to run it for you, but unless you are handicapped plan on only using it for bringing luggage to and from your room.
* Would be nice if they wiped down the seagull droppings on the railing on the balcony overlooking the boardwalk at least once a day.
* They claim beds are queen size, but smallest queen beds I have seen. Seemed to be full size. Looked for labels on bed and can't remember exact brand but it was either "Sealy" or "Serta". Label didn't list the size.
* Hallway noise. The doors are old and noisy to open and close. Every room has two sets of doors since the doors pre-date air conditioning. So there can be lots of noise when large groups of people are going in and out of their room. We brought ear plugs, but it never got so noisy that we needed them.

Other then that the only problems we had were that our room had no closet and only a shower so hanging wet things up was very difficult. Every room is different so some rooms have closets, some don't. Every room has its advantages and disadvantages. Some will feel that being on the top floor is a disadvantage due to steps, other will like it because of less noise. Some will like having rooms closer to the boardwalk, others will prefer farther away.

One nitpick that we had is that there aren't enough no-smoking signs in the building so people realize they aren't supposed to be smoking in rooms/hallways. For the first part of our stay, the hallway in front of our room reeked of cigarette smoke. The room itself was fine and after whatever guest was doing it checked out, things were fine and the hotel itself isn't totally responsible for its guests but we only saw one no-smoking sign and it was in the stairwell, so we would understand if guests didn't realize you aren't supposed to smoke inside in Maryland hotels.

All in all a great trip and a nice hotel. We will most likely stay here again unless the private rental condo we usually stay in opens up again for non-family rentals.

Room Tip: When making room reservations be real specific about what you need, every room is different.
North Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in another hotel which was so bad that my husband and I were ready to pack up and go home. After we saw the Atlantic from the boardwalk we decided to see if they had any rooms available. We walked in and spoke with Teresa at the front desk. She was so warm and friendly and genuinely concerned about us. She offered us a room and even let us go upstairs and look at it ( because we were traumatized by previous hotel!!) before we paid for it.
Let me say that I am in the hotel business and see all types of hotels in my days at work. From 2 star to 5 star. The Atlantic was by far the cleanest hotel I have seen! They have kept the charm but still have updated and made it very comfortable.
Tammy in housekeeping made sure our room was ready quickly. We checked in at 11:30 after moving from the other hotel. She went above and beyond and even recommened a room for next years trip.
In the 2 days we spent here everyone was friendly, which is really hard to find these days. We spent alot of time talking with another employee there name Mr. C. What a wonderful man! He talked with our son and spent some time talking about his own son, it is so refreshing to see happy people.
My only regret is that we would of found this hotel years ago. What a wonderful place! Thanks for saving our vacation, see you next year!

• Stayed August 2012
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is the 3rd year in a row staying at the Atlantic. Once again we were very pleased with our stay. The location is great and we really enjoy the roof top deck, the view is great. The price is good compared to other hotels and chain hotels on the boardwalk. The front lobby has alot of charm and is very clean. Talked to other guests who were repeat guests of the hotel as well.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the Atlantic for a very brief one night, two day trip to OC, MD. We arrived on a Monday and did not have lodging secured. After some help from the visitor's center we were directed to the Atlantic with the promise of a very favorable rate. The hotel proved to be great and a great value. Our room was clean and homey. Though the bathroom was small it was spotless as was the sink in the room. Though the beds seemed more like doubles than queens they were more than comfortable. The overall hotel atmosphere was cozy and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool, though small, was clean and warm! And the parking was convenient. You cannot beat the location of this hotel as it is near everything! I will stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I stayed in one of their apartments in July of 2011. We traveled with 4 kids, 3 teenagers, and 4 adults. The apartment was spacious and very clean when we arrived and it fit us well. The kitchen was large as well as one bathroom. We also had a small bathroom with just the basics. The cupboards were well stocked with towels, toilet paper, washcloths, etc... and the kitchen was stocked with dishes, utensils, etc... We also had a large living room and dining room. The location was perfect for us, especially with younger children. The only complaints that I have was the front door lock did not lock well and when it did you had a difficult time getting it open. The other complaint I have was housekeeping. We cleaned our own place and never saw a housekeeper for the week we were there. We had to take our dirty towels to the front office to exchange them for clean ones and when I did that I was told they had 5. I then took the five towels back to the apartment to share for 11 people. No one ever came and changed our bed sheets the whole time we were there. If there was no housekeeping for the apartments, I wish we were told. Otherwise the lobby and hallways were clean. We also requested 2 roll-away beds for our apartment and they were not there when we arrived eventhough I booked this hotel in January. I would go back but I have a few questions before I would!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Right off the bat, when looking for a hotel this hotel is not for guests used to hotels such as Hampton Inns, Marriotts, or any of your brand name hotels. That said this is a beach hotel and it reflects in its cleanliness. The green floor was two colors, green and black, but given the shapes of the black spots, I don't believe it was meant to be both colors. The bedding seemed to be between a white and off white color with an aged yellow mixed in. The toilet seemed to have stains on it from lid to seat, which is rather disgusting. At least the shower was clean which is always important.
However, the shower's drain could not handle the sand or hair that ended up all over the tub after one shower. It's unpleasant to be showering with your hair and sand floating around the tub, and women with long hair know that it inevitable to not lose a strand or two while showering. After getting out of the shower you are expected to use such small towel. I just make 5 feet and the towels barely covered me from chest to bottom, which is uncomfortable if you're staying with a boyfriend or even your father.
The bed was somewhat hard, but after a long day at the beach, it's hardly noticeable. However, the television would cut out while watching the Olympics and the wi-fi was extremely spotty as it is completely public.
Perhaps the worst part of the stay was the fact that our room was not cleaned. We had asked the cleaning staff to come back in a few minutes because we were collecting our things and were still using the room. She had talked to both my boyfriend and myself. We both passed her sitting and talking with other staff members, which should have given the indication that we were out of our room. However, when we returned that evening the room had still not been cleaned and no one had brought the extra pillow I had requested. I called to ask for the pillow again and when I walked to the front desk I mentioned that the room had not been cleaned. The lady at the front desk said that it happens often and that they had gone for the day. When I explained that I had seen them sitting outside chatting, she merely said that she believed me and handed me towels. There was hardly and apology and nothing to compensate for the now sandy room. Needless to say, I showered with my flip flops on that night to avoid the sand that now lined the tub.
I feel it's also important to stress how thin the walls are between the rooms. At any point in the day you can hear the rooms next to you and above you, which is uncomfortable and if you have rude neighbors as we did, you will be woken up early in the morning.
If you are looking for a hotel based only on location this hotel is a great one. It is right on the boardwalk, but the beach never seems to get to crowded. It is also near the inlet and it's not a far walk either way to check out some of the sites of Ocean City.
That said, in the future, I will always make sure to book earlier so that I will not have to book again at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!