“pretty nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Will O' the Wisp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oakland
Will O' the Wisp
You added Will O' the Wisp to your Saves list
20160 Garrett Highway, Oakland, MD 21550   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Oakland
pittsburgh, pa
“pretty nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed in the loft room #8 and was very impressed with the condo! I was very clean with a great view. The kitchen was complete with a coffee maker and coffee. There were spiral stairs to the loft which just included the bedroom, but the view was great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. No fireplace, but that's fine because it was summer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed at this resort mid-week, Monday through Friday. Some of the reviews here had me worried but we had no problems at all. The staff were friendly and very helpful to guide us to the area's attractions. Each condo unit is individually owned. Ours was a little dated but was VERY clean and comfortable. The balcony had nice views of Deep Creek Lake and had a chaise lounge and small table with two chairs.

The resort's amenities were great! A warm indoor pool, two level hot tub, game room, exercise room, racquetball court aside from being right on the water! The kids were always entertained!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Deep Creek Lake is perfectly delightful, particularly during peak winter and summer seasons. The staff at the WoW are simply fabulous and our condo had just been remodeled spectacularly. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

It was beautiful and the location was great, but the cleaniness was somewhat to be desired. The staff was good and the room itself was lovely, but when I entered the bathroom the shampoo was half empty and the conditioner was empty. The shower seemed somewhat dirty and I almost felt like I was using a public restroom. The mattresses were so thin and old that when you laid down you could feel the springs. It was probably good 10 years ago, but a new mattress was badly needed. I had such a hard time sleeping. I don't think I be back again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Lewes, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

Remember the harvest gold appliances of the seventies? Well we found 'em again -- rusting out in the condo we rented at Will 'O the Wisp. Units are individually owned, so I assume that some units actually have been updated within the last 40 years. The unit we had was less than acceptable. The concrete hallways reminded me of my college dorm. Soundproofing is nonexistent. Patio doors sliding open and closed sound like thunder. I could clearly hear the thump, thump, thump from the racquetball court, which kept my small children awake until after 10. If that's not enough to ruin a parent's weekend...we found a used needle in the parking lot. I rate this "condo-tel" only slightly above a complete dump because the staff was friendly.

• Liked — nice view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

My fiance and I stayed here in January 2007 and we loved it! We had a HUGE condiminium overlooking the lake. You walked in to the living room that had two double doors leading out onto a balcony, there was a real fireplace with wood supplied and a couch. To the left there was a decent sized kitchen. All the basics were supplied and all plates, cups etc too.

You then went upstairs and there was a fairly big bathroom to the left and a HUGE bedroom at the end of the corridor, with floor to ceiling windows. There was a balcony in here also that you could see down into the living area. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and everything was clean.

We did not eat in the restaurant, so we cannot comment on the food but we did eat in an italian restaurant just around the corner which was very reasonably priced.

We love the deep creek area and try and get down there once a year. We have been back since our stay at will o the wisp, but stayed in a little cottage in the woods. I'm sure we will go back to this hotel though as we enjoyed every minute of it.

I would certainly recommend it to all :)

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alexandria, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We just returned from spending a week in a condo at the Will O Wisp Resort in Deep Creek Lake, MD. The condo had just been renovated and was perfect for our needs. The resort has a wonderful indoor pool and hot tub. The majority of the staff were friendly with the exception of the staff in their restaurant. We had made a reservation because we had a party of 10. Once we were seated, the waitress approached and belligerently stated "I assume you all are having the pasta buffet?" Her behavior left us wondering what we had done. When I spoke with the manager as we left, he basically excused her behavior because he had to "beg her" to take our table because everyone was so busy. I also left a message to speak with the hotel manager but he never returned my call. Although the food was good, it certainly put a damper on our evening. One morning, our friends went down for breakfast and waited 20 minutes before being waited on.
Basically a great place to stay but explore the other restaurants in the area.

• Liked — Our condo had just been renovated
  • Disliked — The service in the restaruant
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Will O' the Wisp? Share your experiences!