“Great view but strangers can get in the room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Will O' the Wisp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oakland
Will O' the Wisp
Save Saved
You added Will O' the Wisp to your Saves list
20160 Garrett Highway, Oakland, MD 21550   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Oakland
Nottingham, Maryland
“Great view but strangers can get in the room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in a 7 th floor room with a great view of the lake. It was a nice room but needed some updating. At 10 pm strangers were able to enter our room through an inner door that was left unlocked by the staff. It was very disturbing and when I complained the next morning I was told sorry about that. I got no response from an email about the problem. So while it was a nice room it felt sketchy to me that something like that happened.

Room Tip: stay on the 7 th floor for a good view. Make sure all inner doors are locked.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We made reservations here based on Trip Advisor reviews and price. We had reserved one room and I asked at check in if we could view a unit with a different floor plan. I was told none of those units were available. I was presented 2 giant brass room keys that seemed to weigh a pound each. Our unit, which had been recently "updated" was clean and livable, but far from updated unless you consider the new bathroom vanity. The loft bedroom offers very little room or privacy. Granted we did not use any of the amenities this resort needs some TLC.

Stayed October 2012
Pittsburgh PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Have stayed in just about every style condo over the years - this time a studio loft (#709). It was very nice, clean & cozy. Decorated with photos of the travels of the owners and a few family photos. I liked that very much - made it seem much friendlier. Great indoor pool and outdoor beach area. I will stay here again-- loved it!!

Room Tip: All condos have balconies overlooking the lake.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

no problems. like this place. stayed two days. great location. clean quiet. had a loft # 709 very nice felt like a home not a room. loved the photos in our loft. loved sitting on the balcony great views. nice little beach and boat dock. lovely swimming pool and hot tubs with cool water feature very relaxing. swollow falls state park is a must. will go back soon i hope.

Room Tip: room # 709 a loft on the 7th floor was perfect for me and my girl carol.
Wappingers Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We just left a three night stay and enjoyed staying here. I originally booked only one night after reading the reviews but once we got there we booked two more nights. Yes, an update is needed especially on the outside of the building, but we had a loft condo which was quiet, very clean and comfy. It was nice to have everything I needed to cook breakfast in the morning as I am gluten free and usually have trouble finding decent places to eat ---which brings me to the restaurant. We had a lovely meal the first night. A little pricey, but included dessert which we brought back to our room for later. They understood my dietary restrictions and checked with the chef to be sure I had a safe meal. It was deliciious. On Wednesday night we went back for "pasta mania". For $14.50 per person you get a salad and all the pasta you want. You chose your ingredients and it is prepared right in front of you. AND they had gluten free pasta! Just be aware it is crowded and reservations are recommended. I would recommend a trip to Will O' the Wisp,

Room Tip: Loft was nice for a couple but also had a Murphy bed.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Spent 6 nights here over course of couple weeks on business. What a nice refreshing break from business concerns to look out over the lake and enjoy the quiet atmosphere.
Room decor varies quite a bit, as many units are individually owned/furnished, but both units were clean and comfortable, with all that I needed.

Room Tip: I selected a Loft Bedroom unit on the 7th floor, which was more than spacious enough for me and prov...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a great place for families. The cost of a multi-bedroom condo is reasonable, and it comes with a full kitchen. Unlike renting a house on the lake, you have an indoor pool and hot tub. Very nice.

It is clean and functional with great views of the lake. We brought our pontoon boat and docked it right there. It was lovely.

I agree with the other reviews that the condos could use updating - but frankly, with a young family, I loved that I didn't have to worry about new carpet!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Will O' the Wisp? Share your experiences!