“Wonderful weekend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Good Timber Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oakland
Good Timber Bed and Breakfast
You added Good Timber Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2159 Mayhew Inn Road, Oakland, MD 21550   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Oakland B&B and Inns
Parkton, Maryland
“Wonderful weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I just got back from Good Timber and I cannot say enough good things about our stay. It was one of the best weekends we ever had at a B&B! My only regret is that we did not stay for longer--I could easily have spent an entire week there. The place is lovely, decorated with all sorts of one of a kind treasures, from local artisans as well as from the owners travels. Although we went there for a rest, there is plenty to do--whether you want to go canoeing, hiking, wander through antique stores in a nearby town, or just stay inside by the fire. (In fact, my favorite part was sitting out on the porch, wrapped in a blanket, reading and looking at the lake.) Vianne and Michael make you feel more like welcome guests than customers, and the food was out of this world--breakfasts that make you forget you were supposed to be on a diet, and wine and hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon. We hope to go back again, and maybe make this an annual weekend.

Room Tip: All three rooms were wonderful, but the downstairs room has a king sized bed, a whirlpool tub, and a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our second visit to The Good Timber B&B and we loved it so much that we hated to leave. If you want to stay in a beautiful lodge and room, in a relaxing environment close to nature, with gourmet food and good company this is the place for you. The lodge itself is lovely (appointed with treasures made by local artists) and our room (the larger room on the main floor) has an oversized king size bed, a large double shower, large whirlpool bath, large flat screened tv with DVD player, and its own covered porch with lounge chairs reaching out into the woods. The lodge is surounded by lovely natural gardens that lead you to the Lake where there are canoes and kayacks for your use. See the photos attached of the lodge and the gardens. Fishing off of the pier is also good; my husband caught a 25" fish that we all ate! Every day at The Good Timber, the owners, Vianne and Mike, treat you not only to an exceptionally delicious gourmet breakfast but also a 5:30 pm wine and food delight. Also complimentary cold drinks, fresh cookies and candy are always available. And it is not just the lodge itself, its location, and the gourmet food that makes The Good Timber very special. It is also the good cheer and helpfulness of the owners Vianne and Mike who can't do enough for you and are happy to guide you to local attractions in the area where everyone knows them as they support the local businesses and artisans. The first year we went we spent 3 nights; this year 4 nights; and next year we hope to spend at least 5 nights. My husband and I have travelled and continue to travel the world (going to Southern France in September) and the Good Timber rates right up there with one of the best places we have ever visited. If you go there for a visit I am sure that you will agree and will become one of their many return visitors.

Room Tip: The room on the first floor is larger and more deluxe. The upstairs rooms are smaller and do not ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have stayed at this Inn several times, and what a TREAT!!!! The people who run this B&B are so sweet and friendly. The food is to die for and the accomodations are out of this world. You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay here. I LOVE it each and every time I come. Have fun at Good Timber Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: The Buffalo Run Room is FABULOUS!!!!! I LOVE the bath tub....it is huge and has jets!!! So much fu...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

It was 7 years ago that I made my first trip up to Good Timber Bed and Breakfast after reading a glowing article about this very special place featured in the Maryland Magazine. That first stay was all the rave reviews had claimed and more. Good Timber is more than just a place to stay in Deep Creek Lake. Vianne and Michael have designed a home that they open to their guests in a very unique way. They demonstrate a genuine interest in getting to know the people that they welcome as they share their life on the lake.

Their home exudes the dedication they have to the Appalacian community that surrounds it. Numerous local artisans have contributed to the beauty of the home, from furniture, to nick nacks. And as you arrive,, your individuality as well is celebrated in the hospitality rendered. When Vianne serves breakfast, she never fails to mention the jam or other special item made by one of her guests, who she no doubt treasures. As you relax during the afternoon wine and homemade refreshments, guests share their stories in a very intimate, comfortable environment. The rooms are extremely clean and inviting, providing a luxurious, yet simple respit.

Vianne and Michael are very active members of their community, therefore extremely helpful for any interest or question a guest might have. They demonstrate a sincere desire to make your stay at their home and in their community a wonderful experience. Although I have traveled to many wonderful places around the world, Good Timber remains my favorite, a very special home away from home that I return to on more than one occasion each year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I'm extremely surprised at the review "Go Anywhere Else." They must be thinking of another B&B. Good Timber is the cleanest inn I've ever stayed at. It's also GORGEOUS. All log construction, beautifully appointed. The breakfast is fabulous and we really enjoyed the variety of wine and cheeses in the evening. Vianne & Michael, our hosts, are delightful. They didn't even mind me stealing a few freshly baked cookies from the never-ending cookie jar! The location is right on the lake, so we canoed and swam from the dock. The rooms are so comfy - love the plush robes.
I can't even think of one bad thing to say about this B&B. Either the comments below are for another B&B, or this person has a vengeance against the owners for whatever reason. It's a shame you can write at will on review pages like this.

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful. I like the main level, but if you're traveling with another couple...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

All I can say was as soon as we arrived our trip was ruined I couldn't believe someone could let their home get so disgusting none the less if you want people to pay to stay there the only positive thing was the area which made it that much harder to go back to this horrible b&b. Decent location though.

• Stayed May 2011
Vianne B B, Owner at Good Timber Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
This person did not stay at Good Timber Bed & Breakfast. In May all of our guests were repeats and they all enjoyed their stay and love our place. This person either stayed somewhere else or is posting a fraudulent comment. I have asked Trip Advisor to look into this.
Bryans Road, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

nice and lil. we loved the view of the woods. cute lil rooms and private bathrooms

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Good Timber Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!