“A very special place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Good Timber Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oakland
Good Timber Bed and Breakfast
You added Good Timber Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2159 Mayhew Inn Road, Oakland, MD 21550   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Oakland B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“A very special place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our second visit to The Good Timber B&B and we loved it so much that we hated to leave. If you want to stay in a beautiful lodge and room, in a relaxing environment close to nature, with gourmet food and good company this is the place for you. The lodge itself is lovely (appointed with treasures made by local artists) and our room (the larger room on the main floor) has an oversized king size bed, a large double shower, large whirlpool bath, large flat screened tv with DVD player, and its own covered porch with lounge chairs reaching out into the woods. The lodge is surounded by lovely natural gardens that lead you to the Lake where there are canoes and kayacks for your use. See the photos attached of the lodge and the gardens. Fishing off of the pier is also good; my husband caught a 25" fish that we all ate! Every day at The Good Timber, the owners, Vianne and Mike, treat you not only to an exceptionally delicious gourmet breakfast but also a 5:30 pm wine and food delight. Also complimentary cold drinks, fresh cookies and candy are always available. And it is not just the lodge itself, its location, and the gourmet food that makes The Good Timber very special. It is also the good cheer and helpfulness of the owners Vianne and Mike who can't do enough for you and are happy to guide you to local attractions in the area where everyone knows them as they support the local businesses and artisans. The first year we went we spent 3 nights; this year 4 nights; and next year we hope to spend at least 5 nights. My husband and I have travelled and continue to travel the world (going to Southern France in September) and the Good Timber rates right up there with one of the best places we have ever visited. If you go there for a visit I am sure that you will agree and will become one of their many return visitors.

Room Tip: The room on the first floor is larger and more deluxe. The upstairs rooms are smaller and do not ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have stayed at this Inn several times, and what a TREAT!!!! The people who run this B&B are so sweet and friendly. The food is to die for and the accomodations are out of this world. You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay here. I LOVE it each and every time I come. Have fun at Good Timber Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: The Buffalo Run Room is FABULOUS!!!!! I LOVE the bath tub....it is huge and has jets!!! So much fu...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

It was 7 years ago that I made my first trip up to Good Timber Bed and Breakfast after reading a glowing article about this very special place featured in the Maryland Magazine. That first stay was all the rave reviews had claimed and more. Good Timber is more than just a place to stay in Deep Creek Lake. Vianne and Michael have designed a home that they open to their guests in a very unique way. They demonstrate a genuine interest in getting to know the people that they welcome as they share their life on the lake.

Their home exudes the dedication they have to the Appalacian community that surrounds it. Numerous local artisans have contributed to the beauty of the home, from furniture, to nick nacks. And as you arrive,, your individuality as well is celebrated in the hospitality rendered. When Vianne serves breakfast, she never fails to mention the jam or other special item made by one of her guests, who she no doubt treasures. As you relax during the afternoon wine and homemade refreshments, guests share their stories in a very intimate, comfortable environment. The rooms are extremely clean and inviting, providing a luxurious, yet simple respit.

Vianne and Michael are very active members of their community, therefore extremely helpful for any interest or question a guest might have. They demonstrate a sincere desire to make your stay at their home and in their community a wonderful experience. Although I have traveled to many wonderful places around the world, Good Timber remains my favorite, a very special home away from home that I return to on more than one occasion each year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I'm extremely surprised at the review "Go Anywhere Else." They must be thinking of another B&B. Good Timber is the cleanest inn I've ever stayed at. It's also GORGEOUS. All log construction, beautifully appointed. The breakfast is fabulous and we really enjoyed the variety of wine and cheeses in the evening. Vianne & Michael, our hosts, are delightful. They didn't even mind me stealing a few freshly baked cookies from the never-ending cookie jar! The location is right on the lake, so we canoed and swam from the dock. The rooms are so comfy - love the plush robes.
I can't even think of one bad thing to say about this B&B. Either the comments below are for another B&B, or this person has a vengeance against the owners for whatever reason. It's a shame you can write at will on review pages like this.

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful. I like the main level, but if you're traveling with another couple...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

All I can say was as soon as we arrived our trip was ruined I couldn't believe someone could let their home get so disgusting none the less if you want people to pay to stay there the only positive thing was the area which made it that much harder to go back to this horrible b&b. Decent location though.

• Stayed May 2011
Vianne B B, Owner at Good Timber Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
This person did not stay at Good Timber Bed & Breakfast. In May all of our guests were repeats and they all enjoyed their stay and love our place. This person either stayed somewhere else or is posting a fraudulent comment. I have asked Trip Advisor to look into this.
Bryans Road, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

nice and lil. we loved the view of the woods. cute lil rooms and private bathrooms

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Good Timber, and can only echo all the positive comments made by the other two reviews. We stayed in one of the two upstairs rooms, and felt we had complete privacy there. The entire house is absolutely gorgeous, with whole log construction giving it a kind of luxury guest ranch chic. The beds are of a similar whole log construction, and furnished with confortable/firm mattresses. The two upstairs rooms have queen beds, and I believe the bigger room on the main floor (with its own private balcony/sitting area looking out on the woods) has a king bed, but I could be mistaken. The bathrooms are ultra modern, with everything first rate. Vianne and Michael have filled their guest rooms, as well as the great room on the main floor, with treasures collected from around the world.
I have to confess we looked around Deep Creek Lake to see what else was available, and whether we could find something that would cost us less. Our experience is that the Good Timber gives you superbly good value for what they charge, when you consider the quality of what they offer, the gourmet tapas and wine (or beer, or whatever you wish) at 5:30 pm, the wonderful breakfasts, and the wooded lakefront setting. But the best of all is the graciousness and friendliness of the hosts, Vianne and Michael. They really made us feel welcome, and no one could have done more to make our stay a complete pleasure. I would mention that we followed up on two of their suggestions. One was to go to the Mountain State Brewing Company for one of our evening meals. They offer a sampler selection of their own four brewed beers, which was a great way of deciding on a favorite. We chose one of their pizzas, which had a wonderful crust -- possibly the best we have ever had. The next day we hiked around Swallow Falls State Park on the waterfalls trails (not too strenuous, and well worth it!), and then took the back roads into Oakland. We hunted out the Englander with Patty's Grill and lunch counter, on Michael's suggestion, for milkshakes like they used to make them in the 60s. Not to be missed! Everything we did was a very short drive away from the Good Timber, and we loved going back along the little country road to the Good Timber when we were done exploring.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Good Timber Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!