“Hotel w/ a heart” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in North East
Litchfield, United States
“Hotel w/ a heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were visiting a newly relocated family member recently in North East and stayed at the Best Western. The hotel is located off Rt 272, set far off enough where noise from the road did not bother us in the least. Rt 95 is also close by - we could not have asked for a more convenient location. We had no difficulty in finding the hotel, set nicely off a secondary road with a small strip mall nearby as well as the Cecil Community College. There is ample free parking, lovely trees providing some privacy and an attractive setting. We did notice a few stray cats outside that we were informed the hotel staff was trying to capture and be transport to a no-kill shelter by shelter staff. I knew when I heard this that these hotel folks were special - kind, caring. We were greeted upon arrival by friendly staff. We found the hotel and it's inviting breakfast room to be clean and well-appointed. We did eat breakfast at the BW daily during our 5 day stay - they offered decent coffee, juices, yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, cereals, breakfast meat (sausage, bacon), eggs (sheet form - like fast food restaurants - we did pass on this item) and make your own Golden Malt waffles ! We found the breakfast offering to be plenty ample to carry us through the day to dinner, with a light snack in the mid-day. While in the breakfast room our last morning, we did hear other guests talking about the other area hotels (comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express) and they obviously passed over those other hotels in the area. We were very happy w/ our experience at this hotel. We look forward to our next stay at the BW North East.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Metuchen, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was a non-smoking room but clearly smelled of smoke. It should not be given out again to guests until it is rid of that smell. The room was also not very clean. The toilet seat had a woman's hair on it and there was a clump of hair in the tub drain. The hotel generally was run down. Being a little run down is understandable but the cleanliness is just not what I expect at a Best Western. I could have just as easily stayed at a cheap motel for half the price. The hotel guests were also noisy in the hallways even after midnight, and my upstairs neighbors had a very loud and banging sex session as I was trying to get to sleep. I know your management can't control that, but I've never heard that kind of banging-on-the-headboard sex except when staying in a seedy motel. If I wasn't so tired from all the driving I would have left for a different hotel that night and demanded a refund due to the cleanliness and noise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

patriciasparks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN North East Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, I apologize that you were not happy with your stay.
Our property opened in 2006 as a brand new hotel. I can assure you we are not a "seedy" hotel by any means, but rather more of a corporate hotel during the week and an event hotel on weekends during the warmer months. The weekend you were a guest in the hotel our rooms were full due to two large wedding groups. I sincerely apologize that you were placed next to loud guests and the fact that your room was not up to your standards. We try very hard to provide a very clean and comfortable stay for our guests.
Again, thank you for your review. I wish you safe travels and happy trails!
Patricia Sparks, GM
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Good--One of the two nicest Best Western hotels I've ever stayed in. Wonderful staff. Breakfast was ample.

The Mixed: Allows pets--not my thing.

The Bad--Hotel entrance a bit difficult to find at night especially. More signage could be placed, perhaps at a higher angle on the road leading in. Not close to any restaurants/shopping except a Denny's down the road and a convenient store across the way.

The Really Bad: Ok...for the first time ever in a long history of traveling, I encountered a bed bug attack--even though I always take all the recommended precautions. Now, on this trip I stayed at a number of hotels in three states and, as I learned, a reaction to bed bug bites often doesn't show up for up to 14 days after one has been bitten. That said, I'm not sure this was the hotel had the problem, but I can't rule it out either. This should serve as a warning to all-- As my significant other said, "If this happens to you, as careful as you are, it just proves this can happen to anybody."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns. I have thoroughly examined the room you were in and have verified there are no bed bugs present. The verification process is to strip the room of all bedding, remove the mattress and box springs, dresser drawers, nightstand and mirrors. In my training I learned bed bugs do not stay only to the mattress, they like wood as well. There were no signs of any critters in your room.
Thank you for your compliments to the hotel as well. I do hope you will stay with us again in the future should you be traveling this way.
Happy and safe travels!
Patricia Sparks, GM
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having just stayed in a Best Western in Dover 2 nights before, I was hesitant to stay in this one. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was much cleaner. The staff was more family-friendly and the breakfast was excellent. I'd recommend this place to anyone stopping through. It seemed full, which is a good sign.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Driving south from New York, stopped by chance here around 10:30PM after a long drive. We were greeted by friendly staff, given the best (AAA) room rate and spent a comfortable night before resuming our journey. Good breakfast is included in the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My Wife and I spent two nights at this hotel. it was clean, neat and enjoyable. We will return next July for the next visit. The location is off road about a mile from the interstate, but the peace and quite is worth it. I wish it was closer to restaurants when you arrive late in the evening. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rising Sun, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel management is extremely accommodating. They helped to hide the giant secret birthday cake for my husband's 50th birthday. Our families were kept together which was very helpful and my son was able to easily manage a cousins pool party in the evening while the adults were out celebrating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN North East Inn? Share your experiences!