“It's not that bad...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Points Hotel - Washington North

Save Saved
You added Metro Points Hotel - Washington North to your Saves list
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8500 Annapolis Road, New Carrollton, MD 20784 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton New Carrollton)   |
Offers & Announcements
SUMMER SPECIAL RATE
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in New Carrollton
“It's not that bad...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at the metro points hotel for a day trip to visit UDC's speech-language pathology program. Before arriving at the hotel, I read the many bad reviews and contemplated cancelling my reservation.

I am SO glad I did not cancel! I can agree with certain aspects of the bad reviews like:
-stained carpets
-lumpy floor (squeaky hard wood too)
-paint peeling bathtub
-ceiling leaked and was uneven on 10th floor (my own observation)

BUT the shuttle was convenient, free, and prompt. The shuttle driver was very nice and personable. The breakfast buffet was an actual buffet with good food offerings, and it was FREE. I was surprised by the buffet since I had read so many reviews about how terrible it was. We had a king room, which wasn't anything spectacular but it was not THE worst. It was sufficient and more than I expected for the price I paid. I loved that the room included a table and chair that can be pulled out from the "entertainment center" (for lack of better words), which really worked out well for me because I needed to complete some school work during my trip. The Happy Hour was great! They offered free h'orderves, $3 bottom shelf drinks, $5 premium drinks, 5 wings for $3, and $3 cheeseburger sliders. I took full advantage of the happy hour and really enjoyed myself!

I only had one issue, which could have been a huge damper on my day trip if I did not have a positive attitude. I booked the hotel on Expedia's "daily deal" and chose to pay at check-in versus paying online at the time I made the reservation. After traveling on a 7-hour delayed train, we didn't check-in until after midnight. So needless to say I was just ready to lay down when we finally arrived. I checked my account when I got to my room because I realized I didn't see any amount I was being charged on the forms I signed. I was supposed to be charged $172, but there was a hold on my account for $434! Huge difference. I immediately called the front desk and explained there must have been a mistake. The night auditor acknowledged that I had been charged incorrectly but said he couldn't correct it himself, his manager could but she wouldn't be in until 7am. I slept on it and went straight to the desk at 7:00 on the dot, only to be told by the manager that the night auditor had corrected the issue himself and the money would show up in my account the same day. At about 12pm, the money still was not back on my account so I called the front desk again and was told it was a security deposit that would not come off until I checked out. I knew this was incorrect, and had her transfer me to someone in accounting. I spoke with Harold in accounting several different times while I was out and about in the city. Basically, I got the run-around but when I got back to the hotel Harold invited me into his office and resolved the issue right then. I was pleased with the end result, but would have loved if the process of getting my refund was much easier.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a copy of charges you will be billed BEFORE they charge your credit card, their proce...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fernando B, General Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest: We are extremely happy with your detailed feedback, we are proud of the quality service we provide to all our loyal and valuable guests.
We will appreciate your recommendations to others. Hope we can serve you many times in the near future.

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is an ex Sheraton four points but even if it is not anymore, the level of service and quality are great. The hotel is conveniently located outside DC at 20min by Metrorail from the capital (terminus New Carrollton stop) on the orange line. It is accessible right at the exit of 495 highway. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle from and to the Metrorail (and bus) station every 30 min (last one at 10pm) which avoids to walk through the neighborhoods (you can choose to walk but we had a small kid). The staff is mainly hispanic (for those who care) and the service is great: the breakfast offers plenty of fresh food hot and cold (sausages, bacon, eggs, oatmeal) that changes every day. The hotel in general and the rooms are very clean and quiet in general. The only negative points are: air conditioning is noisy (might be the room) and the fan in the bathroom did not work. There is also no microwave and fridge but you can get one for extra money.The hotel also offers happy hours and diner option (surcharge). There are plenty of options for restaurants (mall at 6miles) and shopping (IKEA-6miles). Overall our stay was great and we recommend strongly this hotel if you are on a budget but want to be within minutes from the main DC attractions.

Room Tip: Book early to get good rate (less than 90/night). For the Metrorail, get a daily pass and avoid rush...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fernando B, General Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We are very happy your stay was very pleasant. We thank you for sharing your honest and candid comments. This will be shared with our staff so they can keep on providing great quality service to all our valuable guests. Hope we can see you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had a last-minute trip to New Carrollton and had little time to book a hotel for 1 night. The photos of the hotel seemed nice enough and the free full breakfast was a plus. I arrived @ appx. 1:30pm but knew checkin was at 3pm. There was no spare room even to get dressed to attend a wake. I returned to the hotel at approx. 9:30pm and went to the room. Upon entering the room, there was a stale "smell", difficult to explain, sort of unclean. The tub had stains, the shower head and chrome water spout was dingy full of the soap residue scum. The wall paper was peeling off in the bathroom near the shower. The tv cabinet had seen better days.

I could tell there was an attempt at modernizing the hotel; however, this was done cosmetically and cheaply -- it shows. I had to be up early morning for the funeral. I got up at 5:30 am and dressed. Breakfast is served from 7 to 9:30 am. I went down to get a quick breakfast at 7:45 as I was going to be picked up at 8. The dining room is very small and it was chock full of people who were forming long lines, all the tables were full, the people were hovering over the food and it was chaotic. I decided breakfast was no longer a priority and left rather quickly -- glad to escape from such mayhem.

In all fairness, I must confess I am accustomed to staying at the Marriotts and their secondary properties but decided to give this one a try since it was for 1 night only. The Residence and Fairfield Inns, both properties of Marriott and of a similar level to Metro Points, are two hotels the Metro Point could learn a thing or two from. It lacks organization and planning.

The one good thing about Metro Points were the FRONT DESK employees who were courteous and efficient -- they performed as well could be expected under the circumstances. I feel sorry for them.

Room Tip: NO room in this place is a good room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fernando B, Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We always welcome all our guests comments and suggestions to provide a better service everyday.
We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night late last month. There was no hot water when I was about to take a shower. So I called the guest service to report the problem. The lady who answered the phone said that they would have somebody check it shortly. But I waited for about 45 minutes and still no follow-up from them. So I called guest service again, and this time a man answered the phone, also said that somebody will come to check it shortly. And he said they were very busy. I waited again, but still noboby came to fix the problem, and I had to go to bed without taking a shower. During this whole time, there was no follow-up from them, and they even did not offer any apology! It sounds that my problem has nothing to do with them. Also, I requested morning call, but they failed to do it the next morning. And there was no Wi-fi in my room! (They claimed they had wifi when I checked in.) This hotel is the worst I've even been to. So stay away from it if you can!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fernando B, Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Valuable Guest: Please accept my sincere apology on behalf of my entire team. I am very sad that we didn't take care of your requests in a timely manner. This is not the type of service we believe in not the type of service we provide to all our guests. We will make sure the proper departments address this problems. We hope you can give us another chance to show you our great customer service we strive for. We hope to see you again soon.
Martinsville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We found this hotel at a great rate and were pleased with the overall expierence. The people at the check in desk were very friendly. Also, we were given 20% off at the hotel restaurant so we ate dinner there. The service in the restaurant was great and the food was awesome, too. Most of the time hotel restaurants are way over priced...we were very pleased with the food and the price.

The rooms were great. Only thing I wished we did have was a fridge but certainly not a deal breaker.

I have no complaints and it was a great experience for us!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Fernando B, General Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your honest review. Our number one goal is to provide good service to all our valuable guests during their stay. We will be waiting for your return. Thank you for staying with us.
Kingsport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located for those visiting Washington DC. The shuttle service to the Metro station is very helpful. The free parking and free wifi add to the value of staying there. The rooms are in need of refurbishing as furniture shows wear and tear. Bath towels are smaller than usual. The biggest problem is the lack of space for the morning buffet. There are insufficient tables so people had to stand and eat after waiting in long line to get food. They could also benefit from more staff in kitchen to prepare food and more staff to clean tables. This hotel is not up to the standard of maintenance of rooms and facilities of the many name brand chains that charge comparable prices.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest : Thank you so much for sharing your experience while with us. We will make sure we address these issues. We hope to see you again soon.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

1- fridges are removed from room and u have to pay extra 10$ to get it back.
2-No microwave available in
rooms
-Towels are not enough for baths
4-Buffets open at 6:30 am and closes @ 09 am.People were standing in long lines to get their breskfast snd when we made it we found up there is nothing left.
5-Water was dripping from the roof of the buffet at one side a bucket to collect the water and i will leave to your immagination the rest.

• Stayed April 2013
Fernando B, General Manager at Metro Points Hotel - Washington North, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. This will help us improve the way we operate on daily basis. We will make sure the proper departments take care of this issues. Thank you for staying with us.

Been to Metro Points Hotel - Washington North? Share your experiences!