“Helpful staff, but I can't recommend it” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in McHenry
mississmissi
“Helpful staff, but I can't recommend it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is now a Quality Inn, at least that is what the sign says. I made the reservation for a Tuesday night for a business trip. On Tuesday afternoon, I wanted to change my plans and not stay in the area, however, I found that the reservation had to be cancelled 24 hours in advance. I know that some hotels have this policy, but it is ridiculous and I typically don't stay places where this is the case. I kept my original plan and stayed at the hotel so as not to pay for a room that I didn't stay in. When I arrived, I was told that I was on the third floor and that there is no elevator. This was my third night away for work and I have a huge suitcase. It is not possible for me to carry it upstairs. To the credit of the desk clerk, she gave me a room on what she called the ground floor - it was an upgrade - but she didn't charge me extra. That was where the good things stopped. I still had to drag my suitcase up a half flight of stairs. She didn't bother to tell me that if I had gone outside, I could have come in the front entrance and gotten to my room without going up steps. When I arrived at the room, it was like an icebox. The air conditioner was set at 58 degrees! It was the 11 of June - not very hot outside, but I had to turn the heat on to make the room bearable. After about 2 hours of having the heat turned on to 76 degrees, the room was finally warmed up enough that I could stand it. The very nice flat screen TV was set and mounted so far back into the entertainment center that the only way you could see if was if you were sitting on the bed or the chair. There was no way to see if from the table or desk. I had to fiddle with the curtains several times to get them to cover the window properly. The room didn't appear dirty, but there was something about it that just felt like it wasn't as clean as it could have been, perhaps part of it was the hair that was stuck to the outside of the tub. There was a jacuzzi in the bath, but there was no way I was going to sit in it. The fitness room was okay, but also didn't appear like it was cleaned - there was a dirty towel on the shelf and no wipes or spray to wipe down the machines. The free breakfast was average, but the 'skim milk' tasted like it was whole milk that they had added water to. One sip and I was done. The microwave was unplugged when I went to use it, I had to reach behind the fridge to plug it in and it took several minutes before it would even work. It never did really work properly I have not had any good experiences with lodging in this area. My theory is that there are so many nice resorts that the old rundown hotels only cater to construction workers who don't care about cleanliness or comfort. In the future, I will arrange my trips to this area to ensure that I don't have to stay overnight. $90.00 for this place is way out of line.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wheeling, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I don't expect a lot from a motel, nor did I get much. My husband and I made a last minute reservation on a weekend getaway when we didn't want to spend the money on a B&B or rental. I booked the largest suite in the place. It was satisfactory, for the most part, nothing more. The room was 2 levels, a neat idea on paper. It had a 2-person jacuzzi, which was very nice. The bathroom was large and new, and there were two large flat screen tvs in the suite. The bed upstairs was perfectly clean and comfortable. Pillows were tiny and fluffy, and the lady at the front desk told me that regulation would not permit them to have any other type of pillows. (Okay....?) The first level of the room, however, was sparse and dated. The furniture was old and abused. When I checked in I made sure to ask the clerk if there was a pull out sofa, since my husband often snores. She assured me there was. When I got into the room, the tiny loveseat did pull out into a single bed, but the mattress was ancient, lumpy, uncomfortable and, most importantly, there was no bedding in the suite for the pullout. I did end up having to sleep on it and was miserable. It's somewhat baffling why they spent money to fix up the bathroom with a jacuzzi but left the living room area looking so genuinely crappy. That said, it was clean. The trek up to the fourth floor absolutely sucked, by the way. Not having an elevator is ridiculous. Next time I'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

After trying to cancl my reservation, the gentleman at the front desk informed me that I was past the cancellation policy and "no customer is worth losing my job." There was a full possiblitity of selling my room that night, as I tried to cancel in the morning. All of the other hotels in the area were sold out. I explained that I was traveling with small children and them charging my card would put me in a very bad place for the night. The $100.00 needed by this hotel was much more important than their customers or any human needs. Hospitality involves treating humans like humans. I am beyond words with how much a business will do for an extra $100.00. Terrible customer service.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Germantown, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I stayed here last weekend (2/23/13) and all of us enjoyed ourselves. A great location at the base of WISP ski resort at a great price too! At first, we were hesitant because of the reviews that we had seen previously on several websites, but when we got there, things were almost a polar opposite. We were graciously greeted by the front desk clerk (Jonathan?) who explained the available amenities that the hotel had to offer, including the continental breakfast (which we discovered the next morning had more than just the basics...they had waffles!). We were also surprised at the size of the guest rooms. Our room was clean, pleasant smelling, and a perfect temperature. (To compare....we had recently stayed in a Hilton in Maryland and the room was musty and very small). We would HIGHLY recommend the people and this lovely hotel for a family or couple looking to get a nice place to stay while saving money for things like skiing.

Room Tip: If you want a great price, ask for an odd numbered room. If you want to spend a little more money...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
The Burgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I would like to first thank the guy at the front desk for giving me a discount on the room. The staff is very professional.

The hotel itself is located in the middle of everything. There are restaurants, shopping, Wisp Ski Resort, Ski Rental (High Mountain Sports), and more all right there.

The lobby is very nice. I rented a delux king room with a hot tub for $150 after tax on Feb 2nd, 2012. The room is excellent. It was clean and there were plenty of amenities. I could careless if it has a flat panel TV or whatever.

The only reason why I didn't give this hotel stay a 5/5 rating is because of the bathroom. Pee stains on toilet. Broken tiles everywhere. Hot tub didn't work and had soap scum and hair floating around the tub. Very unsanitary and ruined the experience. The lot was also not cleared of snow until everyone had left after 1pm!

This place could be amazing, but the bathroom situation was pretty gross. If your there just to ski, it's the perfect place to go. If your looking to hang out in the room, then forget it.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the hot tub and bathrooms are clean and in working order. Hopefully, you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Rooms were in definite need of renovations. I would say that the price we paid was overpriced for what we got. The lobby was nice and we did enjoy the options at the complimentary breakfast... they had a lot of options for food. The staff was friendly and helpful. But once we got to the room we were disappointed. The room was in need of dire renovation, especially for the price we paid. We didn't mind that there were no elevators although it was a walk up and down stairs to find the room and then bring our suitcases in from the car. We didn't try the outdoor pool as it was too cold outside. We had been driving cross country all day (and most of the evening) and needed to stop to sleep someplace before continuing our drive again. If we hadn't been so tired and so late, we would have kept driving and stayed someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide to stay!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Goshen, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was satisfied with the room - clean, comfortable beds, functioning bathroom and heater. We arrived after two days of snow and the front steps were not well cleared, which was hard for one of us who has problems walking. They had been cleared once but were slippery and snow covered, and it didn't seem like they used Icemelt or shoveled more than once.

There is no elevator, as others have mentioned, which was very inconvenient. The lobby is between the first and second floors so there are lots of steps.

Also, the breakfast buffet was pretty skimpy. We were there on a Monday morning that was not very busy but they were already out of yogurt and low on fresh fruit. They did have eggs and sausage, but it was just average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!