“READ BEFORE YOU BOOK” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
“READ BEFORE YOU BOOK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Miserable experience. Paid $100 for a night in a room I would expect to see in a $35/night motel. Carpets stained, shower curtain mildewed, no elevator - the lobby was terrific though... it is abundantly clear where they spent their money.

This theme (suck them into staying a night) was consistent with my experience. The gentleman at the front desk (Ray) first told me he had a room for $148, yet when I turned away he 'found' one for $98. They must have a credit card on file to let a room (not uncommon). I verified with Ray that I could pay by different means at check out - he confirmed that I could pay in whichever way was most convenient for me - nothing was going to be posted to the card. Imagine my surprise upon receiving the receipt for what they'd billed that card come the morning. After a short wait, the front desk clerk was able to reverse the charge, but not after it was made clear that one of the two (Ray or this woman) lied to me. She told me that the charge is automatic at around 3 o'clock each morning, and that Ray was at fault. Yet when she was on the phone with her manager, she made no such reference to an automatic charge, saying only that I had decided to pay with a different means after she had checked me out (I told her my room number, had my debit card in hand, and within thirty seconds and no further discussion, was handed a receipt) All of this was said in a hushed voice (I wasn't meant to hear, of course) - it is still unclear to me if she processed the card as I checked out, or if there is an automated system that charges guests. Either way, it chafes to be lied to and hustled, by whomever might be at fault.

The room itself was strange - it indeed had only one bed, yet there was ample room for another queen - this resulted in a large empty space filled only with a hole-filled, dirty, stained expanse of carpet for which I wondered if I paid extra. The deadbolt on the door was newly screwed into a portion of splintered wood indicating that the door had previously been forced open - that splintered wood created a very weak hold on the current deadbolt. Coupled with the lock on the door I spent five minutes struggling with to lock (the trick is to pull up on the handle with all your might while pushing inward), I felt as if my safety that night might be of concern.

And that brings us to the bed. Putting a knee on the edge to crawl in resulted in the opposite end of the bed rising a good two feet. I found a stable position right in the center of the bed, however I was woken several times by the bed attempting to pitch me off because I rolled six inches off center (I'm not particularly large - this was a new phenomenon for me). I was mercifully staying here alone - I couldn't imagine sharing that thing with another person (although I think it would be perfect for any children playing pirate ship).

Good points? Great shower head (I ignored the mildewed curtain), ability to park just underneath your window, free wifi (though not good wifi - it couldn't sustain a FaceTime conversation with my boyfriend), and they do serve breakfast, though I didn't partake.

Any of these elements taken singularly, or even in pairs, would have made my visit adequate. All of them together have resulted a general sensation of displeasure and unrest. I will not be staying here again, nor would I council anyone else to. It is worth paying a little extra for one of the Bed&Breakfasts in the area or driving an extra 15 minutes from Oakland for the activities in the area.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Motel was what you would expect from a budget motel continental breakfast was good. No elevators was a detractor especially when you are on 3rd floor. Also rooms were a little muggy for me and shower was not working properly. Other than that got what I paid for, I guess...

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Booked a last minute short getaway to Deep Creek. Was on a tight budget and the price was much lower than a cabin rental. However, the main lobby and hall way to room reeked of mold.. They must have flooding/moisture problems because I noticed dehumidifiers around. The room itself was adequate. Bathroom was clean. There was work being done on building, so it's not like I'm going to call this place a total neglected dump. Location was central to everything in Deep Creek. However the mold smell to and from the room is not really what I'd call a nice thing..

• Stayed September 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I knew I was in in for trouble when I when I recognized “the lamp” from photos that I saw on this site that were taken by another reviewer. Yes, our room smelled like smoke. So much so, that it seemed fresh and stale all at the same time. At times during our stay, we would open the bathroom door and would SEE cigarette smoke. You could cut it with a knife. It was ridiculous, since we were in a non-smoking room! Even the smoke alarm went off at one point. Again- I was in a non-smoking room in the non-smoking wing of the hotel! The air quality in this hotel is extremely poor, and I feel sorry for people that get stuck in the smoking rooms. Apparently those are 10 times worse in smell.

I was here with my family, and I have small children including one that crawls. There was little I can do to keep him off the floor. Thus, his feet and clothing were completely black from crawling on the floor. We didn’t even bother with the continental breakfast. We figured the quality would be horrible compared to everything else. We will never, ever stay here again, and quite frankly I am now leery of this hotel chain. It was such a dump; I am absolutely shocked that it didn’t have bed bugs too. Even after we returned home, my husband and children now have a hacking, dry cough, which I attribute to the poor air quality from this establishment. Do yourself a favor and find someplace else to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Clear Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel has large rooms and were clean. but tv old ,had a blue plastic bottle shoved up in the curtain area, toilet seat was loose, windows (exterior) our room all hallways just filthy which gives a bad impression off the bat. The carpets in hall stairways could use cleaning. The pool area had a junction box cover missing exposing electrical wires at the building. Continental breakfast was good. There is alot of work being done, the lobby area is newly remodeled and work is being done to the outside of the building it just needs more attention to detail for the money. I feel there are better choices and would look elsewhere, but it may improve once all the work is completed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Pros: This is a beautiful area with a lot of scenery, great restaurants, and friendly people. The hotel's location is convenient to it all. Very large rooms.
Large selection of TV channels. Fridge and micro in the room.

Cons: Everything else. Tons of road noise if you are on that side, with trucks constantly gearing down the hill. This hotel has been undergoing renovations since the early 2000's. Nothing has improved! Maintenance issues include: mold all over the bathroom wall, cracks in the vanity, hairs in the towels, dirt in the jetted tub, electrical outlets cracked and coming out of the wall, smoke detector wrapped in plastic, mattress positioned with the front 6 inches higher than the back, mold in the picture frames in the room, cracks and mold around the window sill area, stains on the walls in the living area, plaster falling down from the ceiling, weeds all over the property, broken/falling down light fixtures in the parking lot, hole in the parking lot with an orange cone in it, road signs and construction debris litter the main entrance - anything else(?!)... Bizarre layout of rooms that make no sense - There was a room at the end of the hall that had a regular room door sign to it - but it had a padlock on it from the outside? Cleaning issues: old socks behind the chest of drawers, bottle cap laying in the corner. Seriously - these are VISIBLE to anyone coming in to the room. Where are the standards?

Desk clerk was apologetic on the issues, but I seriously doubt it's the first complaint he has heard judging from the other reviews. I also noticed in my reservation that this is scheduled to be a Quality Inn. No signs of that as of yet - perhaps Choice Hotels should take a look at having any of their banners associated with this property. It is NOT up to their chain standards.
It's not even up to Super 8 or Days Inn standards at this point.

This area is desperately in need of a Hilton Garden Inn or Fairfield. The Comfort Inn is the ONLY chain hotel in the area. I hope that others do not view this beautiful area based on their lodging experience here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I checked in but didn't stay after trying out two rooms on opposite ends of the hotel. Both were reached after going through hallways that were smoke laiden. Both were odorous from stale smoke and/or smoke from other rooms seeping in. The second room was directly across from a room with some odd electrical contraption under the door covered with a towel and a heavy electrical cord ran to it down the entire hallway from another hallway. (I still want to know what that was.)

The room was in poor shape with peeling wallpaper, water stains on the ceiling, poor quality linens, curtains in addition to the bad air quality (stale and smokey). After less than an hour in the second room I checked out. The hotel clerk offered to move me to a third room, back on the same end as the first room and I declined stating that someone in the room on the floor below was smoking at the window with the window open, so what good would that do to move back to the other smokey wing? He charged my credit card even though I didn't stay due to poor air quality (I would have tolerated poor condition of the room for the night otherwise).

On another note, I was told that there were no rooms available on the first two floors and there was no elevator. After trudging up to the fourth floor then, down to the third floor and through the maze to another wing only to find that room as bad as the first I wasn't ready to venture to third room.

The hotel was advertised to be changing to Quality Inn in Aug 2012 but that had not happened by the last week of Aug. when I was there.

Room Tip: No elevator in this hotel.