“Don't forget to pack the oxygen tank!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in McHenry
Annapolis, Maryland
“Don't forget to pack the oxygen tank!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I knew I was in in for trouble when I when I recognized “the lamp” from photos that I saw on this site that were taken by another reviewer. Yes, our room smelled like smoke. So much so, that it seemed fresh and stale all at the same time. At times during our stay, we would open the bathroom door and would SEE cigarette smoke. You could cut it with a knife. It was ridiculous, since we were in a non-smoking room! Even the smoke alarm went off at one point. Again- I was in a non-smoking room in the non-smoking wing of the hotel! The air quality in this hotel is extremely poor, and I feel sorry for people that get stuck in the smoking rooms. Apparently those are 10 times worse in smell.

I was here with my family, and I have small children including one that crawls. There was little I can do to keep him off the floor. Thus, his feet and clothing were completely black from crawling on the floor. We didn’t even bother with the continental breakfast. We figured the quality would be horrible compared to everything else. We will never, ever stay here again, and quite frankly I am now leery of this hotel chain. It was such a dump; I am absolutely shocked that it didn’t have bed bugs too. Even after we returned home, my husband and children now have a hacking, dry cough, which I attribute to the poor air quality from this establishment. Do yourself a favor and find someplace else to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Clear Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel has large rooms and were clean. but tv old ,had a blue plastic bottle shoved up in the curtain area, toilet seat was loose, windows (exterior) our room all hallways just filthy which gives a bad impression off the bat. The carpets in hall stairways could use cleaning. The pool area had a junction box cover missing exposing electrical wires at the building. Continental breakfast was good. There is alot of work being done, the lobby area is newly remodeled and work is being done to the outside of the building it just needs more attention to detail for the money. I feel there are better choices and would look elsewhere, but it may improve once all the work is completed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Pros: This is a beautiful area with a lot of scenery, great restaurants, and friendly people. The hotel's location is convenient to it all. Very large rooms.
Large selection of TV channels. Fridge and micro in the room.

Cons: Everything else. Tons of road noise if you are on that side, with trucks constantly gearing down the hill. This hotel has been undergoing renovations since the early 2000's. Nothing has improved! Maintenance issues include: mold all over the bathroom wall, cracks in the vanity, hairs in the towels, dirt in the jetted tub, electrical outlets cracked and coming out of the wall, smoke detector wrapped in plastic, mattress positioned with the front 6 inches higher than the back, mold in the picture frames in the room, cracks and mold around the window sill area, stains on the walls in the living area, plaster falling down from the ceiling, weeds all over the property, broken/falling down light fixtures in the parking lot, hole in the parking lot with an orange cone in it, road signs and construction debris litter the main entrance - anything else(?!)... Bizarre layout of rooms that make no sense - There was a room at the end of the hall that had a regular room door sign to it - but it had a padlock on it from the outside? Cleaning issues: old socks behind the chest of drawers, bottle cap laying in the corner. Seriously - these are VISIBLE to anyone coming in to the room. Where are the standards?

Desk clerk was apologetic on the issues, but I seriously doubt it's the first complaint he has heard judging from the other reviews. I also noticed in my reservation that this is scheduled to be a Quality Inn. No signs of that as of yet - perhaps Choice Hotels should take a look at having any of their banners associated with this property. It is NOT up to their chain standards.
It's not even up to Super 8 or Days Inn standards at this point.

This area is desperately in need of a Hilton Garden Inn or Fairfield. The Comfort Inn is the ONLY chain hotel in the area. I hope that others do not view this beautiful area based on their lodging experience here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I checked in but didn't stay after trying out two rooms on opposite ends of the hotel. Both were reached after going through hallways that were smoke laiden. Both were odorous from stale smoke and/or smoke from other rooms seeping in. The second room was directly across from a room with some odd electrical contraption under the door covered with a towel and a heavy electrical cord ran to it down the entire hallway from another hallway. (I still want to know what that was.)

The room was in poor shape with peeling wallpaper, water stains on the ceiling, poor quality linens, curtains in addition to the bad air quality (stale and smokey). After less than an hour in the second room I checked out. The hotel clerk offered to move me to a third room, back on the same end as the first room and I declined stating that someone in the room on the floor below was smoking at the window with the window open, so what good would that do to move back to the other smokey wing? He charged my credit card even though I didn't stay due to poor air quality (I would have tolerated poor condition of the room for the night otherwise).

On another note, I was told that there were no rooms available on the first two floors and there was no elevator. After trudging up to the fourth floor then, down to the third floor and through the maze to another wing only to find that room as bad as the first I wasn't ready to venture to third room.

The hotel was advertised to be changing to Quality Inn in Aug 2012 but that had not happened by the last week of Aug. when I was there.

Room Tip: No elevator in this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hurlock, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We've stayed here quite a few times and have always enjoyed it. Every time we visit the area, we stay in this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff is pleasant and friendly. And, the best part is, you can't beat the price!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Amherst, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night, 07/18/12, while in the area on business. There are not a lot of options when it comes to hotels in this area. The hotel, at first glance seems rather nice. After a closer look you can see that things are run down and out of date. Check in was smooth, with no issues, as well as check out, although impersonal. The room was at the extreme end of the hotel. I had to go through a smoking section, through a set of doors, then around the ice machine that made the hallway 100 degrees or so, down the hall, around a bend to the right then left to a little alcove with 2 rooms. My room was on the right.
As I said before, everything looked OK at first, but then I noticed the peeling wallpaper, dirty toilet, dirty bathroom floor, security lock that had been ripped from the door, sagging bed and threadbare sheets. Overall it was OK, but I next time I'm in the area I'm going to try to find another hotel. I was glad to check out of here.

Room Tip: I hope you don't get the room thats 1/2 mile from where they tell you to park.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Using my rewards points, I reserved a King room with Jacuzzi. It was a nice, big room. The room was clean and appealing. The lobby is very attractive. They have the typical Comfort Inn breakfast which is nice, though not great. The pool was small, but nice and felt great after hiking at some of the local attractions. We enjoyed our short stay and wished we had time to stick around a little longer. Overall very nice. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!