“Wisp Resort family stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Attractions in McHenry
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Activities: Skiing
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Wisp Resort family stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wisp's mountain coaster was great. My kids were too small to go, but we enjoyed the whitewater rafts and kayaks on top of the mountain in the man-made river.

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Fun and adventure for all ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This original ski resort has transformed into a true year-round location. Our family especilly liked the white water rafting at the unique man-made river. The also enjoyed the mountain coaster. The chair ride up the mountain provides a fantastic view of the lake.

Columbus, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“staff needs to step it up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed in queen nice clean hotel room. Hotel would have been rated 4 but for the activities. Most dont start til 11pm. It is not easy or obvious from their basic web site that reservations help.they can only be made by phone and the number frequently doesnt answer. We wanted to do something around 9am, went to the activity center. Said they didnt have next event til 11am in spite of many employees just sitting around. Manager made no effort to accomadate us. Agree with earlier comment that the staff culture needs to be improved regarding helpng the guests.

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
“Fun outdoor amenities...outdated hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Staying at the Wisp Resort was great for the mountain coaster, zip lining and hitting some golf balls on the driving range, but if I had to do it over, I would have stayed elsewhere and just popped over to Wisp for the Adventure features. I admit it was nice and easy to stay there, and yes, the price was right. So if you are on a budget and want easy access to things, it was fine. It was clean. We got a queen efficiency. We wanted a king bed but they were hard to come by so we got a double queen. The queen beds in our efficiency were actually in different rooms and both beds were fold down beds out of a wall unit. Neither bed was down when we got there. Not very welcoming. There were sheets and a single blanket on the bed. The mattress was pretty soft and not great if your back isn't 100%. The chairs and sofa in the bedroom with the window were very tightly cramped when the bed was down. We had to put the bed back up and rearrange the chairs so we could walk around the bed. There were no spare blankets in the room but we asked for and received another with no problem. The maid did make our bed and took care of the bathroom but that was it. Fair enough, I guess. We stayed there partly because of the indoor pool and health club. The indoor pool was highly chlorinated and the whole room was dark and so noxious, I never used the pool. The exercise room is in the basement with no windows and pretty uninviting per my husband. He also mentioned the racquetball court looked like it hadn't been used in over 10 years. We didn't stay there for the racquetball court, so we really didn't care, but it is just indicative of the whole place needing a ton of renovation (last done circa 1977?). Maybe renovations are not financially feasible right now, I don't know. The restaurant did have very good food and although dinner was a little pricey, breakfast was incredibly cheap but also very good. Despite the cleanliness and decent food, I would probably not ever stay here again, any time of year.

Irwin, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“So much potential”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The WISP has everything. The resort has made a lot of effort to become a four seasons resort. It is pricey but most resorts are so that is not surprising. My problem is with the apathetic staff who are not the least bit interested in welcoming guests. No smiles, no attempt to establish any customer rapport particularly at the mountain coaster. I visit Deep Creek at least once a year and the last couple I have come away feeling like I have interrupted the employees. Sorry to say I won't be dropping $100+ dollars there anymore.

Visited July 2013