“Relaxing Fourth of July Weekend Stay at Streams and Dreams” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Streams and Dreams

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McHenry
Streams and Dreams
You added Streams and Dreams to your Saves list
8000-8056 Oakland Sang Run Rd, McHenry, MD   |
Ranked #2 of 3 McHenry B&B and Inns
“Relaxing Fourth of July Weekend Stay at Streams and Dreams”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Making arrangements with Don over the phone was a pleasant experience. He is a wonderful host! He is very helpful and personable.Because Don was out of town, his wife Karen was our host during our stay. Karen is also very friendly and accommodating. She gave us a quick tour of the B&B and then let us get settled. Our room was the 'Brooks' room. This room is small but there is plenty of space to put your bags and move around in. My boyfriend and I had our own bathroom right across the hall. Everything was very clean both in the bedroom and in the bathroom. I would recommend bringing your own shampoo, face wash, and body wash as the bathroom was almost out of body wash. No biggie though.

The breakfast on saturday was delicious! Karen made us wonderful omelets, sausage, bacon, coffee and fruit! I would say that the most wonderful view was in the backyard. Such a beautiful sight. If couples or families want to sit outside and relax, there is a deck as well as a veranda by the stream. The farther out in the yard you go, the more you notice that it does need some maintenance. There were a lot of weeds growing as well as outdoor furniture that was falling apart. I'm sure it's a lot to keep up with, but it does take away a bit from the whole idea of Streams and Dreams as being a 'retreat.'

A few tips: Guests are asked by Karen and Don to take off their shoes when entering the house, because they do have a few cats and the hosts don't want cat hair to get all over the house for people with allergies... not sure how that is working out.

The house remains unlocked so be cautious as to what valuables you leave in your bedroom, Karen did offer to give us a door knob that has a lock but we declined as we didn't have any valuables with us.

I would stay here again! :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lusby, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This being our first trip to Garrett County, MD, was merely intended to be an exploratory adventure to see what we could discover. And discover we did. While at the visitor center in Oakland, we spotted a brochure for fly fishing lessons at a place called Streams and Dreams Retreat. Minutes later we met Don Hershfeld and his Streams and Dreams Retreat. After tour of the grounds and a short walk down the perfect trout stream ( the Youghiogheny River), we got an impromptu fly casting lesson. Within no time it was obvious this was the place to learn how to fly fish. With extreme patience and skill Don taught us how to cast a fly rod. We learned more in that single lesson than a life time of workshops and classes. We hope to return soon to finish what we started and enjoy the hospitality of the Retreat. If you want to really learn to fish with a fly rod, Don is your Man.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I was a pleasure to speak to such a pleasant and knowledgeable individual. He took the time to make sure the trip we were to arrange met all my needs and expectations. I highly recommend him and can't wait to enjoy our trip.

• Stayed June 2014
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I called to make my reservations and Don was wonderful! He took as much time as needed and we talked as if we were old friends. He is very knowledgable of the area and provided great advice on what to do and how to come prepared. I am very excited about my upcoming stay and can't wait to post my trip advisor review after my stay! I have nothing but great expectations!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Burtonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I've stayed at Streams and Dreams four times since 2010, most recently over Memorial Day 2014. Three times I stayed in the cottage with my wife and four children for family getaways. Once I stayed in the B&B house with my teenage son before rafting on the Youghiogheny. We've received fishing lessons and river ecology tours. Breakfasts and Pancake Art have become traditions. Lazy days were spent listening to the stream, evenings spent roasting marshmallows, and nights were lost among the stars. I would describe Streams and Dreams and the owners as as wonderful, generous, warm, gracious, sincere, and most definitely Memorable.

Words fail me when I try to describe the grounds and property. All I can say is that I've felt and authentic awareness and intimacy with nature during each visit. It truly has been a gift.

I can only hope you get the chance to share Streams and Dreams with those you care about.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I happened to see the owner Don after my fishing at Youghiogheny River. After short chat, Don kindly offered fly casting clinic. As a fly fisher with more than 20 years experience, his clinic covers important basics which most of us tend to neglect. Either you are new or experienced in the sports I would recommend to take his lesson. You may have a chance to fish a small stream which Don has been restoring for 15 years, which will give a great introduction to the sports to the first time fishermen. My trip was a day trip so I did not stay with them, however, knowing his hospitality, I am sure you will have a great time to stay at Streams and Dreams. Terry S. in Virginia.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Joppa, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

A place where you can be yourself let all your cares take sail & truly be free! Don & Karen have the best kept secret in Deep Creek! Streams & Dreams is the destination imagination of a lifetime. The price is right & you will feel like you have reached Heaven this side of earth. They are extremely knowledgeable of the wildlife in the surrounding area from fish to otter…trails to restaurants!! Streams & Dreams is a MUST!! If you have not visited Deep Creek add it to your list & be sure to come meet Don & Karen:)

Room Tip: King Bed Brown Room is Our Favorite