“Convenient for quick ski trip” 4 of 5 stars

Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
290 Marsh Hill Road, Deep Creek Lake, McHenry, MD 21541   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Alexandria, VA
“Convenient for quick ski trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the hotel makes a quick ski trip much easier. Each room gets a locker next to the main lift, and it is easy to check in, rent equipment and do some night skiing, and roll out of bed and onto the lift the next morning. Hotel is basic for the price, but convenience trumped value for us.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bear Rocks, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were looking for a ski deal and this hit the mark ! Drove down on a Sunday morning in our ski clothes and hit the slopes. Love the groomed slopes and easy cruising runs. Check-in time is 5 PM but at 3 PM a king bed suite was available so we had a very clean room, table, couch, desk, and mini kitchen area with refrigerator and microwave. The overnight package included your room, ski locker and lift ticket. In the morning there was fresth coffee in the lobby and maids were starting around asking if there was anything we needed. Dinner in the dining room was first class and the lunch choices in the ski lodge were great. We are plannng to do this trip again next year, hope they offer the same deal, go for it !

Room Tip: King bed suite had desk, couch, table comfortable for 4 people, microwave & refrigerator with fr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband had to go up and down to the lobby twice to get new room keys when they randomly stopped working, then the dead bolt knob wouldn't work and the bolt was frozen in the locked position. The only way to close the door from the outside was to use the key. Traci came up to evaluate the situation, agreed it needed fixing and referred it to the engineer on duty. She said he checked it, but he said it was our fault because we had the deadbolt on, and he went home. We had to deal with it the rest of our stay. Also one of the keys to the ski locker was poorly cut; it took 4 people to get it into the lock (rm 670.)

My lift ticket fell of my jacket 45 minutes before my ski time was over, and since it took me 20 minutes to get it replaced, I lost ski time. I saw lift tickets on the grounds and slopes at least 8 times in 36 hours. Obviously there is an issue with the fasteners that should be addressed. I recommend you use two fasteners to avoid this problem.

Room was fine, restaurants ok, too. Kids liked pool and arcade.

Room Tip: Slope side is nice if you want a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went here with low expectations and was SURPRISED! we stayed in a queen suite in the tower. nice room. kids had a ball! now my room keys did stop working every now and again like another reviewer said and the room staff was a little abrasive. this place is a little pricey! For this price I would hope for a little more bells and whistles. skiing and tubing is priced well. all in all had a great time. I normally do not stay in hotels but this was a last minute trip and all the houses around the slopes were rented. so I give a passing grade....if the kids are happy we are happy!

Lottsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Single dad just back from a Wisp trip with three kids, 13/14/16. Everyone had a fun time, I'd highly recommend it for a family trip- it you don't have kids I'd skip this review.

We were there three days, and every employee was surprisingly friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the fireplace suits, which sleeps four. The rooms are pretty plain, but functional and spacious. Plenty of floor space for air mattresses if you have a large crew. A negative is that the floor lamps uses florescent bulbs, so it's not the best lighting. Sounds silly, but if we go again I'm bringing a few light bulbs with me.

The suite comes with a small fridge (3 feet high), microwave, coffee maker, kitchen sink and kitchen table. If you want to save a few dollars and have some meals in the room, keep in mind that there are no utensils or plates. I'd suggest bringing some paper plates, cups, plastic table ware, napkins/paper towels, a knife and a microwave save container for heating food. They provide enough coffee for three cups, and there is coffee available for free in the lobby. Free wi-fi is available in the room and around the resort.

The prices at the restaurants on site were reasonable, they don't charge a convenience premium. The bar also had a great happy hour deal with a $1.50 beer from 4-7. The ski shop was also reasonable, the temp dropped so we bought balaclavas there after shopping around in town. They had the lowest price.

If you are a pizza lover, go to Brendas. Best pizza we've had in a long time, and it's a few minutes drive down 219. (Take a right, it's on the right above the Subway).

Activity suggestions: Nice indoor pool, bring a suit. Ice skating rink is very small, not for bigger kids or adults. The mountain coaster is fun, but going on it twice was plenty. Tubing is great, but call ahead if you go on a busy day. They can tell you how full a time slot is, or if you should get a reservation. They have two hour blocks, or open sessions (5-9) after 5. Skiing is good for beginners to advanced intermediate.

From Arlington the trip was just over three hours with a gas stop and no commuter traffic.

Enjoy!

, the prices at the restaurants on site we

Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had so much fun skiing at Wisp but my experience was ruined by the horrible hotel. First, the room keys stopped working randomly throughout the weekend. We kept having to ride the elevator up and down to get new room keys from the front desk that may or may not work. This wasn't really a big deal, but it was very annoying and wasted a lot of time. Second, the maids took sealed food items from our room and threw it away. We asked them why they did that and they said they thought it was trash. Why would sealed food products on our table be trash? Also the maids were just incredibly rude to us every time we encountered them. I've never been treated so poorly by hotel workers in my life. Third and lastly, the wifi connection was horrible. I tried getting online multiple times throughout the weekend but could not. I was totally dissatisfied by the service I received at the Wisp Resort Hotel. The slopes were great but I would recommend anyone going skiing there to stay somewhere else.

Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We read reviews before going and, frankly, had low expectations. Sadly, even those low expectations were too high. So much so, that we turned a two night stay into a one night stay. Rooms were OK, but what was really bad is that it was full of high-school and college kids. This is NOT a family resort, it's a college fraternity weekend hang-out, which is great, if you're in college or high-school! Rooms seem to have plywood as you can hear everything in the rooms next door and in the hallway. And of course, given the "fraternal" atmosphere, from 2:00-3:00 am it was party, party, party. Perhaps we stayed here on the “wrong” weekend, but it seemed most of the kids are frequent guests. I will say one positive was the private ski lessons for the kids. The instructor was fantastic and kids really enjoyed learning from him. However, overall, we were more than happy to leave.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!