“Great slopes, terrible hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
290 Marsh Hill Road, Deep Creek Lake, McHenry, MD 21541   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Baltimore
“Great slopes, terrible hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had so much fun skiing at Wisp but my experience was ruined by the horrible hotel. First, the room keys stopped working randomly throughout the weekend. We kept having to ride the elevator up and down to get new room keys from the front desk that may or may not work. This wasn't really a big deal, but it was very annoying and wasted a lot of time. Second, the maids took sealed food items from our room and threw it away. We asked them why they did that and they said they thought it was trash. Why would sealed food products on our table be trash? Also the maids were just incredibly rude to us every time we encountered them. I've never been treated so poorly by hotel workers in my life. Third and lastly, the wifi connection was horrible. I tried getting online multiple times throughout the weekend but could not. I was totally dissatisfied by the service I received at the Wisp Resort Hotel. The slopes were great but I would recommend anyone going skiing there to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We read reviews before going and, frankly, had low expectations. Sadly, even those low expectations were too high. So much so, that we turned a two night stay into a one night stay. Rooms were OK, but what was really bad is that it was full of high-school and college kids. This is NOT a family resort, it's a college fraternity weekend hang-out, which is great, if you're in college or high-school! Rooms seem to have plywood as you can hear everything in the rooms next door and in the hallway. And of course, given the "fraternal" atmosphere, from 2:00-3:00 am it was party, party, party. Perhaps we stayed here on the “wrong” weekend, but it seemed most of the kids are frequent guests. I will say one positive was the private ski lessons for the kids. The instructor was fantastic and kids really enjoyed learning from him. However, overall, we were more than happy to leave.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are looking for a quick getaway to do some sking and have a hotel on premise that is convinient then WISP is a good choice. We have a queen suite with 2 kids and was fine but very small rooms. Was disappointed that all the trails were not open as it snowed for 3 days and appeared to have plenty of snow but then again I am not sure how those decisions are made. Lots to do for kids and the restaurant DCs is not bad.
New Years Eve was VERY disappointing as the Lodge did nothing for the guests except for a band playing. If they want to have a New Years Eve worth talking about they need to provide a New Years Eve party. I beleive everyone would pay something for that.
So All in All would do it again knowing what I know and again would recommend for a few night stay and some skiing

Room Tip: For extra money I would go with the room that sleeps 6 instead of 4. I beleive bigger and does not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our experience at the Wisp was less than favorable. Kids ran up and down the hallways at all hours of the night. Doors slammed throughout the night, which didn't fare well with the sleep that I would have liked to have had. Even in the afternoon, the maid service would be screaming up and down the hall--so forget about a nap to make up for the sleep you didn't get the night before. At $235 a night, this is a total ripoff. The rooms are old and there is nothing fancy about the room. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and am willing to pay top dollar--however, this room should only have been around $100 a night, at the most, based on what you got. They say that the bed was a queen--it was more like a full size bed.

We went tubing at 11---the lines were incredible. I saw people with tickets from the day before in the lines--no wonder they were crowded. We did enjoy snow mobiling, although that was quite expensive for only 30 minutes of ride time.

Next time, we are going to check out other options in where to stay...I definitely would not recommend staying at the Wisp!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My family and I are staying here for a quick ski trip. The hotel isnt fancy but is fine for a couple of days. Our room is a one bedroom suite- clean and comfortable, but it's not an upscale hotel. It is super convenient to the ski mountain- ski in/out. This is our first time skiing at Wisp. The trails are a bit short, but the conditions are good and it's a nice family oriented mountain.

Stayed December 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Have been coming here for 15 years and have had trips with much less snow while the entire mountain was open. Have had a lot of snow here for two days and the East Ridge trails are still not open creating a lot of lines elsewhere. VERY disappointing, my guess is the new management being CHEAP! Call before coming out to make sure East Ridge is open. If not open tomorrow AM, will pack my large group up and head to a place that can take advantage of all the snow we have had. Snowshoe maybe.

Stayed December 2012
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is a bit run down, though clean. I arrived a day late and they had canceled my reservation without contacting me first. They rebooked me at the same rate. There was a snowstorm Christmas eve and they did not salt or shovel the steps until Dec 26. My mom was staying there as well on the first floor and her room smelled like mildew. If I had paid more than 150 I would feel I had really overpaid. I think she paid 200 for a smelly room.

There were kids roaming the halls.
The pool did look nice as well as the slopes but unless I was going to ski I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!