“Convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Virginia
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My family and I are staying here for a quick ski trip. The hotel isnt fancy but is fine for a couple of days. Our room is a one bedroom suite- clean and comfortable, but it's not an upscale hotel. It is super convenient to the ski mountain- ski in/out. This is our first time skiing at Wisp. The trails are a bit short, but the conditions are good and it's a nice family oriented mountain.

Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Have been coming here for 15 years and have had trips with much less snow while the entire mountain was open. Have had a lot of snow here for two days and the East Ridge trails are still not open creating a lot of lines elsewhere. VERY disappointing, my guess is the new management being CHEAP! Call before coming out to make sure East Ridge is open. If not open tomorrow AM, will pack my large group up and head to a place that can take advantage of all the snow we have had. Snowshoe maybe.

Stayed December 2012
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is a bit run down, though clean. I arrived a day late and they had canceled my reservation without contacting me first. They rebooked me at the same rate. There was a snowstorm Christmas eve and they did not salt or shovel the steps until Dec 26. My mom was staying there as well on the first floor and her room smelled like mildew. If I had paid more than 150 I would feel I had really overpaid. I think she paid 200 for a smelly room.

There were kids roaming the halls.
The pool did look nice as well as the slopes but unless I was going to ski I wouldn't stay here again.

Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is nice and the service by the female attendants was nice. We arrived around 2:00 PM and the attendant was nice to give us a room. The room was decent and clean. We had booked a queen double bed. We will go again.

Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I and my family (six people) went to Wisp in december 20 to 21th. It was very nice, the Hotel is fine, we're well in the suite we rented. The problem is that we got a package to enter the ski lifts.
This represented an extra amount in the price we paid for the room. Ok, but the surprise came in the next day when we went to rent the equipments and the stuff for ski. The price of the ski class and the rent of the equipment and a new entrance for the lifts were cheaper than to buy just the classes and the rental. So, we paid twice for the entrance and used just one time! We regret the lack of information about this process when we booked.

Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The first week of November I was part of a group of approximately 20 people who descended on the Wisp for a business retreat. Other than the on-site restaurant (see separate review of DC's Bar & Restaurant) I would highly recommend this for business, pleasure, family, or couples. It is perfectly located for a number of activities year round.

Calling the Wisp a resort might be pushing it a bit as the hotel is a bit old and worn. The rooms are clean and have been designed to be functional for a number of situations. My room had one queen been along with a separate seating area with a couch (roll-out bed) along with a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee. Another one of our party had a room with a bed and a separate area with a murphy bed. The rooms are not luxurious but they are functional and adaptable.

What makes the "resort" awesome is that it is perfectly situated whether you're there for skiing in the winter, golf in the summer, fishing or just relaxing. The ski slopes are about 100 steps right outside the hotel, the golf course also. Deep Creek Lake is just a few miles away offering a variety of activities. If you look at the myriad of activities in and around the hotel then yes, you can call this a resort.

As a business conference destination is offers great customer service. We had an attendant working our two conference rooms exclusively. Any need we had, including having her go outside in 37 degree weather and take a group picture of us in the snow, was not a problem. The staff was courteous, professional, and accommodating. They even let us take over their lobby (comfortable chairs, couches, and a nice gas fireplace) on Sunday night for three hours of card and word games.

Next year when the subject comes up of where to go for our business retreat I would have no hesitation to suggest Wisp again. Other than the restaurant it is a fabulous destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the slopes. Awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Concord, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My adult daughters and infant granddaughter checked in late. We were in a 2 room suite with 2 queen beds in one and a queen Murphy bed in the other. The Murphy bed was "true" furniture! All the bedding was high end and everything was clean. It was a great place for the baby to crawl without much chance to get in trouble. Although we didn't get to participate in any activities, there is white water rafting and a zip line to name just a few. We had no trouble finding a place to eat and the scenery was great. The only disappointment is that, unlike in the past, apparently all the State Parks now charge admittance fees which caused us to pick and choose.

Room Tip: Bring closed toe shoes if you want to go on the zip line.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!