“stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Save up to 10% Today!
virginia
“stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

first I must say that the staff was friendly and efficient. All downhill from there. Two rough looking residents hanging around front entrance. Lobby worn and dated and felt weird. Desk closes at 11pm. Hallways narrow and dark. Whole place smells old. Room spacious but worn out and dirty. Stains on furniture, sheets yellowed and did not seem fresh. Pullout sofa mattress was crunchy and slanted. First floor window lock was broken, but a maintenance man did come right away to fix it. Doors and walls thin, you can hear everything. A woman in a nearby room was screaming on the phone about the drug dealers and alcoholics who were living there and the poor condition of her room. Seems like a low rent place for weekly renters. We were looking for a hotel room for three nights. Nothing nice about the place except the desk clerks. She did not seem surprised when we told her we would not be staying and canceled the reservation without a charge or a problem. we did not feel safe or clean there.

Room Tip: There are not any good rooms here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally apologize for your experience. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Specifically, standard operating policy is that linens are always replaced with fresh, clean new bedding before a guest checks in. In addition, all rooms are inspected prior to being made available to the public. That having been said, I recognize the issue you have brought to my attention and discussed it with hotel staff and management.

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

This room is so dirty I can't barely stand to be the room. This room hasn't been cleaned thoroughly in years greasy dust, blood on bathroom walls, ants crawling the room, smells like an ashtray, stains on the floor, furniture has food stains. I had low expectations given its an Extended Stay has limited service but basic cleaning should be priority focus of management. I am calling the front desk to see if I can get out of my room now.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tony,

I recently received a copy of your review of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Standard cleaning procedures include a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, prior to making any room available, we inspect it to ensure that our normal procedures have been followed. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable breakdown in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Travelers are raving about these Lutherville Timonium hotels

Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was not impressed but I didnt expect the world for this class of hotel. I expected old, but everyone can clean! I do not like seeing the previous persons hair around the room and dirty dishes in the cabinet. The Manager is a rude grumpy old man. Avoid this location and pay a few dollars more or stay at the Red Roof Inn down the street that has been updated on the inside.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Baltimore - Timonium. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

I am grateful for the opportunity to respond to your concern. I have spoken with my staff and reviewed the importance of being professional and polite with each and every guest, no matter how busy we may be. In addition we apologize for the quality of your room upon check-in. Your experience is not our norm.

Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

This is a very uncomfortable place to stay. When we checked in we went straight to our room only to be greeted with A LOT of stink bugs. I do not recommend storing groceries in their filthy, infested kitchen. There's barely a closet area and the bathrooms look like they have not been cleaned in ages. There was hair everywhere. For example: our dish drainer, our bathroom, our EVERYTHING. Our room smelled of stale cigarettes and old milk. Their walls are so thin you can hear everything that's going on! I would not be surprised if this place had bed bugs, which by the way you can take home with you if they are present. The shower curtain, which probably hasn't been washed in over ten years, hugs and sticks to you while you try to shower. I also very strongly recommend you bring your own plates, cups and other utensils. The bed is as comfortable as sleeping on a slab or rock. And the TV was 27 inches of nothingness. The staff was awkwardly friendly and highly unhelpful. I am very dissatisfied! I sent the following to corporate about the stink bug infestation:

"To whom it may concern,
My fiance and I have booked a room here at 9407 Beaver Dam Rd. for a week. As soon as we checked in and came up to our room we noticed at least five or six stink bugs around the window. We killed the ones we saw thinking those would be the only ones. The problem is, it's going on our second night in this room and we have already killed more than a dozen. I have talked to few of the other guests and they seem to have the same problem. My fiance decided to call the front desk and complain about this infestation. The man at the front desk told her he wasn't aware of an infestation though he has seen a few himself. He also said it's a problem all of Maryland is dealing with at the moment. We have been staying in the Baltimore area for a month now and have not seen this problem anywhere else. My other problem is we are staying here for another month or so and would like to have a fully stocked kitchen with groceries, but are concerned about the infestation. This is not a good way to start our long term stay. If something is not done soon I will make sure to write a very detailed review about the situation on every hotel site I can. This is the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel I have stayed at. I hope you do not have any kind of inspection coming up soon regarding this hotel's cleanliness because I'm not sure this hotel could pass such an inspection. Thank you for your time."

THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS HOTEL is it's location and price! But I would rather pay an extra $20-30 dollars a night than stay in this very gross hotel another night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Kennewick, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Dirty carpets, cigarette burned bedding, minimal cookware and dish inventory . . . if this is what you're looking for you've found home. Maid service is worse than pitiful -- I can write in the dust that has accumulated on every flat surface in the room. Laundry room is constanly dirty and the TV only gets 8-9 stations, none of which you would want to watch. Not as good as other Extended Atay America locations, which is too bad since this could be an alright hotel with just a little effort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Farmington, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

After finding most hotels booked in the area where I wanted to stay, I decided to book this location as I have stayed a few times with this chain and had great experiences. This one was no different. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, my room was clean and comfortable. I particularly liked the electronically controlled A/C & heating unit, which allowed me to set a temperature and forget about it the rest of my stay. I did not use their internet service, but it is available for a nominal charge. This hotel was about $20-30 a night less expensive than the other ones I looked at, and the room was a great value for the price.

I have seen terrible reviews of this hotel - don't believe them. If the place had problems before, they are solved now.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Virginia Beach VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

My stay was arranged by the company I worked for. I had previously stayed at an Extended Stay in Atlanta (business, again) and was not impressed, so my expectations were already quite low. I arrived on a Monday, and was told that my room would not be serviced until Friday. Upon opening the door to the room, I noticed the bathroom fan was on ( a clue) and that the room was very dark. The bedspread had three burn holes in it, there were two flat pillows on the queen sized bed.
There is an apt sized fridge, and stove with a sink in the "kitchenette". There are exactly 3 or everything, glasses, cutlery, etc. and a few pots. There are two ice cube trays in the freezer..
Being on the first floor was the reason the curtains were drawn. When I opened them, the windows were so filthy it looked as though it had been hit with a tornado. The chair with ottoman was nice, but the upholstery stains turned me off. I was able to exchange my towels at the front desk for fresh ones( which I did) . When "cleaning" day arrived I was quite excited to have the place "spiffed". When I returned that evening, I was disappointed there were dirty dishes left in the sink. I check with the "manual" and it cleary states that they do not wash dishes. That is fine, I asked one of the housekeepers the next day if I could use her dishwashing liquid, and she said she had none. So, that leads me to believe that they do not wash the dishes between patrons...What do you think? The sheets were changed, bathroom cleaned and stocked with fresh towels, but the room had not be dusted or vacuumed, nor the mirrors cleaned. Although the staff at the hotel were friendly, they were limited. The internet (which you pay for) was intermittent due to the weather (?), and you call India for service.

Of course, a place like that invites the type of clientele you normally would not want staying in a room next to you. It took me one day to discover why the bathroom fan was on. The patron in the next room was smoking and the smoke would come through my vent. Also, there was always activity in the halls way past the time most of us call it a night.

Try to avoid the EX Stays if you can. My review will be followed by a note sent to the corporate offices in SC. PS There is a Holiday Inn Express across the street, as well as a Crown Plaza around the corner.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium? Share your experiences!