“If you don't like spicy or salty, eat here!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Lutherville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Baltimore
“If you don't like spicy or salty, eat here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Peppermill is definitely not a place you'd go for a romantic dinner, but if you like shad roe, then get there soon! There are no windows in this restaurant which makes it a little claustrophobic for me, and the decor is dated, but the wait staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. We even saw one server extending an arm to a very elderly patron and walking her to the restroom. Now that's service! Although I'm no youngster, most of the people there were at least 30 years older, which didn't bother me in the least. They were all well dressed and having a good time which I hope I can do when I'm their age. My friends loved the shad roe which I didn't find thrilling or especially tasty or interesting, and both the shad and trout were moist but rather bland. The food here is pleasant but not exciting, but if people are looking for this type of fare, they will be very happy there. Dinners came with rolls and butter and either two vegetables or a salad and one vegetable. It was packed on a Thursday early evening, so it apparently is very popular. I wouldn't say that I would never go there again because it was an OK experience, but there are other restaurants that I would try before returning here.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore
“Your ELDERLY grandparents/parents will love it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I've been here a few times; I always feel like I'm eating in the cafeteria of a very nice retirement/assisted living home. My first time there, I went with a (reluctant) hospice nurse--she told me she hates to go there because she always feels like she might need to spring into action during her meal. Most diners look to be 70-95 years old.
Some of the food is fine--like a reliable, community diner or restaurant. The crabcakes are large and ok, but certainly not "the best in Baltimore" like another reviewer mentioned. Think spaghetti and iceberg lettuce garden salads, open-faced turkey and gravy sanwiches, tuna melts.
The place if very busy for earlybird dinners and for lunch. I'd stick with the basics here (blt, burger, old-homestyle food like liver & onions. Not for young families or 20-40 year olds, not for a romantic dinner.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glen Arm, Maryland
“Best drinks anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The food is consistant - above good qualilty and great prices. They cater to an older customer especially those who have spent their money wisely, but nothing stops new comers from enjoying what the elders have discovered. By all means give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

Glen Arm, Maryland
“Separate Checks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I don't think my complete review went thru before!! What is the reason you will not give separate checks???? We have gone to Peppermill for years - most of time just us or with some ones that we will be paying the bill. However, when we go with friends where we want separate checks - we really do want separate checks. This is to the point it is very annoying when refused and we won't be back with friends when we want a separate checks. Am sure you have many seniors that feel the same way.

Visited February 2012
Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
“God's Waiting Room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Be prepared to see a clientele stopping by for their last meal, but they picked the right place. Large variety menu and everytime is a great experience! The attraction i sgreat food at a great price!