“Nice Lodge and Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Little Orleans Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Orleans
Little Orleans Lodge
You added Little Orleans Lodge to your Saves list
12814 Appel Road, Little Orleans, MD 21766   |
Bowie, Maryland
“Nice Lodge and Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Little Orleans Lodge is a quaint lodge just off of the C&O Canal with a very friendly owner and caretaker who took good care of us while biking the C&O Canal. We enjoyed our stop into "town" at the one and only "Bill's Place," and came back for an evening on one of the outdoor decks. We enjoyed Steve and John's hospitality and meeting other guests. I thought it was all part of the C&O Canal experience - a rustic lodge vs. a fancy hotel where we may not have had such a memorable time. I'd recommend Little Orleans Lodge to those who want a nice place to visit in the country while hiking or biking the C&O Canal. Steve sent us off with a great full breakfast in our bellies and nice hot coffee to start the day. Nice stop, very convenient, and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A friend and I were cycling the C&O Towpath and booked this lodge as it is close to the trail. No one likes to add miles at the end of the day to get somewhere! We weren’t quite sure what to expect in a town with a population of under 50 people. We were pleasantly surprised to find a clean, rustic, kind of cute lodge with two wonderfully helpful, hospitable hosts – Steve and John. We had the upstairs rooms with a shared bathroom and a sitting area between as well as a deck overlooking the expansive back yard and woods. It is a quiet, peaceful, sleepy little place and made getting a good night’s sleep pretty easy! The lodge itself is pretty much what a modest country lodge should be – lots of wood, cozy, relatively inexpensive and charming. John happily did our laundry for $3.00 (we are thankful for that!), they offered to drive us to Bill’s place (The only place to eat in town), but we decided to walk as it was a perfect early summer evening. Their friendly dog (Brandy I think her name was), walked us all the way to Bill’s! I’d swear she was showing us the way! There’s a refrigerator with drinks, water and beer with a birdhouse on top to put money in – pay what you think it’s worth. That was great. In the morning, we were served freshly made French toast (Steve makes bread!), bacon, juice and coffee and for the first time I’ve ever experienced at a B&B, the hosts ate with us and kept us entertained with good conversation and awesome trail advice (all of which we took! John – we got our shots at Third Base!). And they have WiFi which is a plus! I would not hesitate to stay there again – we were totally comfortable! If you are looking for modern or Victorian – this is not the place for you. If you are looking for something with character and friendly folks, this IS the place for you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
seaford, de
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

3 friends + I were biking (as pleasure riders not athletes)the C + O Canal Towpath May 28th from Cumberland with reservations at the Little Orleans Lodge (saw it online and it was SOOO close to the trail) after 45 miles we were gonna need some rest! The previous day while on the road to Cumberland we checked out all of our destinations on our ride...River Run B and B in Hancock...Bills Place for refreshment and Little Orleans Lodge for beds and breakfast...as well as Holiday Inn in Cumberland where they let you take your bikes in your room if you want!
Getting back to John & Steve coming to our rescue....we were making our last 5 mile dash to Little Orleans and a stop at Bills for a beer and dinner prior to going to Lodge as we were told this"IS THE ONLY PLACE TO EAT" before you come to the lodge. Guess what? Bills was so busy over Memorial Day they decided to CLOSE the day after...no signage stating that or ANYTHING! I was fired up as I was the organizer and oh my friends were thirsty! Upon calling the lodge with worry, John (manager/assistant/caretaker) said don't worry come on down to the lodge and we will take care of you!! We did (luckily it was downhill!) and once Steve and his Grandson Bill from Montana got back to the lodge off they took us into PA in a large van to a favorite eating spot of theirs (the Roadkill Cafe) for dinner. When we got back Steve offered desert but we were pretty whipped! We were on the third floor. We had a balcony overlooking the trees and yard with 6 chairs and our beds were a dbl bed below and a single bunk bed above. Couch ,rocking chair...all fine. We shared that floors bath with our friends who loved their room at front of the house in a Queen bed and large window. The bathroom was large with seperate shower bath room and dbl sink with shelving. In the morning home cooked french toast and bacon with fruit and juice and coffee. Loved the ...towels, coffee, camraderie, stories, shower! If you like to chat and share come here...they are very open and welcoming. We missed the best view around that Steve wanted to show us, next time Steve...okay?( I only put average for sleep as we had a difficult nite but our friends slept really well.) Oh... we felt very comfortable leaving our bikes out under the carport. Pretty sleepy area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations at the Little Orleans Lodge. Not far from the trail. Everything was clean and the price was affordable. The owner Steve had some good stories to tell. After a hearty breakfast we were on the road again. Thanks Steve for going out of your way for us! We are forever grateful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I decided that I wanted to bike the C & O Canal this past winter and because of weather had to change my route from west to east to east to west which meant that I had to find a spot to stay for the last night of my trip. After two days of cold wind, snow, rain, and mud, I pulled into Little Orleans Lodge and enjoyed an evening with Steve and John. The Lodge is clean, comfortable, and very convenient to the Canal. Like many of you I also read my reviews before leaving on my trip, but unlike some past visitors I came away with a very positive feeling about Little Orleans Lodge. I enjoyed my time talking with Steve and John and had a great breakfast before heading upstream to Cumberland. Enjoy your time in Little Orleans and good luck on the Canal!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

First of all, the location is perfect if you are hiking or biking on the C&O Canal trail or floating the Potomac. A historical building with additions for the lodging, this "lodge" is comfortable and charming like a B&B but without all the lace and flowers. The room night charges are entirely affordable and Steve the owner and his crew are fantastic people. Steve and his crew told me some people expect a traditional B&B and "concierge service" such as runs in to town for whatever they need. I don't think even traditional B&Bs do that, so I found this expectation a little unfair and apparently it resulted in some bad reviews. All the rooms were built out by Steve with real hardwood flooring and trim, the views are great and one suite has a porch that looks over a creek and a hillside. I can't wait to get back there!

Room Tip: Get the room with the balcony!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I got off the trail after biking all day and inquired at a local tavern about lodging. I was directed to Little Orleans Lodge about a half mile from the canal. The two gentlemen there were very nice. I had a beautiful clean room at a very fair price. The bathroom was clean and spacious. I slept very well after checking my laptop and had a good strong conection for being out in a remote location. I went to the dining area and found it homey and clean The table had cloth place mats and the food was served very promptly to my sitting down. The eggs bacon and french toast was great and served with orange juice and coffee. Steve & John gave me great info on the trail and had answers for all my questions. Reccomend the Little Orleans lodge to anyone in the area. I will return and make it a point to stop back for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have a good view of the area!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Little Orleans Lodge? Share your experiences!