“Light Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East & West Nursery Rd.
Sarasota
“Light Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went here for a light dinner. A nice plus was that they gave us a small round of spreadable cheese with crackers at the table. We each had a bowl of soup - one Maryland Crab Soup and the other was Cream of Crab Soup. They were both excellent. Then we split the Wedge Salad which was also very good. We did not have entrees so I can't speak to that.
The decor is a bit on the older side - it looks a bit like grandma's house.
The service was very good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hampton, VA
“Chesapeake Burger - delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Until now, I had never heard of putting a crabcake, especially a Maryland crabcake on a burger. But I must say that I enjoyed it.. While the crabcake was small, there was no filler and was very flavorful. The burger is what surprised me even more. Usually seafood joints don't do well with the beef and vice verse. This burger, however, was juicy and did not taste as though it had been frozen for years. Overall B+

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best Crab Cake in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Okay, that title is subject to everyone's taste but for us Snyder's is the go-to place when we return to my hometown of Baltimore. I've eaten there for 20 years and love it.

Skip the crabcakes at BWI airport and visit Snyder's on the way to or from BWI.

This is not a fancy chain place where managers put a stopwatch on hired help to rush you in and out so they can turn the tables quickly; when you go there relax and enjoy the visit.

Crabcakes are great, fried or broiled, and the Crab Imperial is awesome with a marvelous delicate flavor. I order my crabcake fried and on rye bread. I get the lettuce and tomato on the side, the crabcake is the star here and I don't want to camouflage that flavor one bit.

Snyder's crabcakes are of the Baltimore style and as good as any in the city. Snyder's does not use a brown mustard based seasoning like that used down the street at G&M restaurant which some people like.

I've seen their Porterhouse steaks fill a plate and hang over the side they're so big and never heard anyone complain, but we're crab lovers and that's what we stick to.

We sit in the bar area and play Keno, it's a friendly place where locals get a great meal and we certainly enjoy it. Service is good but not rushed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Catonsville, Maryland
“Haven't been crazy about them for a couple years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've been to Snyder's for large corporate parties and just dinners with family and friends.
The corporate parties tend to have the avg steam table food - roast beef, cold cuts, etc. Not impressed at all. Go to your grocery store, you'd get the same.
For family dinners, well I went to celebrate my Dad's 85th birthday this week. Service was great! There were 11 of us. I had the Filet Mignon, my husband had the Crab Imperial and my son had the Prime Rib.
I asked for Medium, it was more Medium Well. Kind of tasteless.
The Crab Imperial was overcooked to almost burned on top (left under the broiler too long) and was on the drab side. Usually Imperial is too rich (mayo), but this one wasn't and there wasn't any red pepper taste.
The Prime Rib was asked for rare. Well folks it was moo'ing. Seriously not my style, my son didn't eat it all.
So the last few visits have been disappointing. Not going back.
Take your chances. Pricey meals for ho-hum results.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
“Great food, "Old Baltimore" atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been eating at Snyder's for years. The place is an institution in our area. It still has a gracious and somewhat formal decor, which is why I refer to it as "old Baltimore."

The food, especially the shrimp salad and the soft crabs, is tasty and reliable. The shrimp isn't smothered with mayo, and, like any true Baltimore restaurant, Snyder's knows how to fix a soft crab correctly - ask for it very lightly battered.

Snyder's also has good steaks and other seafood, such as salmon. The portions are quite large. The port wine and crackers are there every time, and I've generally found the servers to be friendly. The soups are varied and imaginative. Really, this is a very satisfying place to eat and I plan to keep patronizing it.

• Visited September 2012