“Good service, but property is lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Richmond, Virginia
“Good service, but property is lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Very convenient to the airport, but the area is not congested at all, which is nice for traffic but also means there isn't a huge selection to choose from if you need a restaurant or other retail service.

The little market area, Starbucks and Bistro were typical of what they have in all Courtyards now. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. However, you can tell that while it's been recently renovated to look like the newer Courtyards, it is an older building. There were obvious patchmarks on our bathroom ceiling and in fact the bathroom itself was unusually small. The curved shower road was installed a bit too close to the wall, so at it's widest point the curtain was sufficiently far away, but at the narrower points, it wasn't. The bed and linens weren't as comfortable as those I've had in the newer hotels and there were no extra blankets or pillows provided (though some were brought by request). The AC didn't cool as effectively as most rooms I've had lately.

Our standard request (foam pillows + extra pillows) was not fulfilled here; it's not a problem for us but it is always interesting to see if that is taken care of our not.

The indoor pool and hot tub were nicer than many - the pool was a bit bigger, there was a (friendly) lifeguard on duty, and there were towels provided on each of the many chairs. Even nicer was the fact that there was a wheelchair lift for both the pool and the hot tub, making them handicap accessible. We don't require that, so I can't comment on how well they worked or if staff is trained to operate them, but it was nice to see.

By biggest gripe is one that I've experienced at almost every hotel I've stayed at this year, across several brands and price points: the wireless internet is barely functional. Here, it ran so slowly that pages would time out instead of loading, and would occasionally disconnect. I don't know if hotels' routers haven't kept pace with technology, but it is something - especially at a place like Courtyard, which markets itself as a place for businesspeople - that needs to be corrected.

The business center looked nice, but even there, the (presumably, wired) internet was totally inadequate.

The price was quite reasonable for a clean, rather comfortable hotel that is convenient and has friendly service. However, there is room for improvement. Overall, I might stay there again if I found myself in the area, but I could also be swayed to one of the numerous nearby properties.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roody C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hello Nocares67

Thank you for your feedback of a recent stay with us while in the BWI area. I'm pleased that you found our property clean and service provided by our staff accommodating to your needs.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our staff to ensure we address the issues you encountered.

Rest assured that taking care of our guests is our top priority and we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us and opportunities for improvement.

Roody

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Usually when I go to hotel, I find that sometimes it's really nice in the lobby but when you get to your room it's a let down, well, it was no let down, in fact, it was nice and airy and roomy. I've been a a few 4 and 5 star hotels where the rooms didn't live up to the rating but, this one was lovely. I found the service desk was very responsive and helpful. I only got to stay one night but, I would definately stay there again, and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Roody C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello Lori M

Thank you for your recent feedback about your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your room and our service.

We look forward to seeing you again should your travel plans bring you back to the BWI area.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed 1 night in July 2013 for business.

Above Expectations:
(+) Parking (Free, with ample spaces)
(+) Convenience (location: +/- 5 min. to BWI)

Expected (for better or worse):
(^^) Staff. (generally courteous and attentive)
(^^) Room. (relatively clean, but dated)
(^^) Food. (decent offerings, though $$$)

Below Expectations:
(-) Price. (pretty pricey for an "off-airport" location...)

Note: Only stayed one night - check-in at 5 PM; check-out at 5 AM. Nice staff, though dated decor and treatments. Best perk was parking and convenient location; would probably shop around for a better one-night deal next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Roody C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hello MemphisMQT

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We agree the proximity to the airport and convenience of a park and fly option are a great option to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon should your travel plans bring you back to the BWI region.

Eastern Shore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We live on the Eastern Shore and had an early flight out from BWI, so we decided to spend the night before at BWI... and picked the Courtyard because it had a great rate that included a week's parking in their lot... with a free shuttle to and fro BWI every 15 minutes. And it worked to perfection.

Then there was the staff... from check-in through check-out and shuttle pick up... friendly, efficient and professional. The manager asked us if we needed info as we studied the info screen in the lobby.

Typical Courtyard room... spotless with all the business amenities which might be a little more than a leisure traveler needs, but is impressive none the less.

You can save a few bucks at one of the lower priced properties in the neighborhood, but you won't get better service or security for your car.

Room Tip: Always compare online price with website prices and then call the property direct to get a deal.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Hokie67

Thank you for your recent review about your expereince at our hotel. We agree the park and fly option is a great value to our guests in addition to the complimentary shuttle.

Our staff is always delighted to provide the best in service and accomodations to our guests and we are pleased that you agree.

We invite you back again in the near future should your travel plans have you flying out from BWI.

Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the BWI Courtyard whist on a layover. the courtesy bus from BWI takes approx. 10 mins to get to the hotel as it also serves the BWI Marriott. the hotel is clean and fresh but lacking in check in desks (2) if you arrive with a few people on the bus you may have a wait whilst the line clears.
they arranged a taxi for me as my flight was an early departure and the courtesy bus didn't start running till 06.30.
Would I stay here again, apart from the price, Yes. At $170 for the night I may find somewhere better priced, but this is an airport hotel so prices are always higher.

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We were staying for a family reunion got a great price everything was good we stayed on the 2nd floor on day 2 the elevator broke down which was a mess. Our keys stopped working we was trying to get in at 4am and had to walk all the way around the building to the entrance to get in the lady at the front desk had to let us in. At 9:33am housekeeping is banging on the door now checkout is at noon my question is why are they banging on the door the front desk couldn't have given it to them we were gonna stay another night but after that I said no so I go to checkout and the elevators are still not fixed and the computers were down and I tell the front desk agent about the housekeeping she didn't care not even I'm sorry so we checked out and we to the Westin and that wasn't any better.

• Stayed July 2013
Roody C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Hello Pokerolls

Thank you for your feedback and review on your stay with us. First I would like to sincerely apologize for the service failures you experienced with the elevator, keys and housekeeping. Our team strives to ensure the utmost in satisfaction for every guest during their stay. Your feedback has been shared and discussed with our team to ensure deficiencies such as this are corrected. Again, my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced and we thank you for your business. Should your travels bring you back to the BWI area we hope that you will consider us again.

Southlake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I made a request this morning that I have made fifty times at other Courtyards. Can I please get a skim latte. The front desk person claimed she did not know how and disappeared into the back office. She came back in 10 min and said someone would be right out. 15 minutes later, standing like an idiot at the counter, I gave up. No coffee. After trying to sleep on their old lumpy matters, I needed it. Don't stay here folks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Roody C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Hello Mark E

My sincere apologies for the service failure you encountered placing your specialty coffee order. I have followed up with our team to ensure we handle this type of incident more efficiently.

In reference to the mattresses, we recently changed the mattresses in our guestrooms to provide a more enjoyable sleep experience as we know this is important part of our guests stay. Im sorry to hear they werent to your liking.

This is certainly not the type of experience we would have wanted you to have while staying with us.

Again, my sincere apologies for the issue you experienced and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Roody

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport? Share your experiences!