“Exceptional Travel Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Burlington, Vermont
“Exceptional Travel Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

[Note to Priceline & other third-party guests] Like everyone else, 3rd-party customers read reviews and arrive with expectations; high attentiveness to guest needs is what distinguishes one 2-3 star from others. Third-party prices fill rooms, and provide the business with opportunities to sell services and win future customers. My advice to Priceline customers: pay attention to reviews, articulate your needs clearly (both in advance and on arrival) and speak directly and immediately to management if your expectations are not met. If basic room needs are unmet and you bought from Priceline, tell Priceline in writing; use snail mail to the company’s street address and direct to Customer Service VP. I’ve found them responsive. Talk to local management directly and pleasantly: they value meaningful guest feedback and often can use information you provide to correct persistent problems. Be courteous and civil to a fault: it never helps your cause to be confrontational.]

This property, for me, was an exceptional value. It’s in the “Hotel District” on W. Nursery Road near BWI Airport. All rooms are spacious L/BR suites: the Hyatt Corporation bought all 143 Amerisuites properties in 34 states in 2004 and then spent $150 Mil in renovations and upgrades. Among the many excellent features: free and ample parking, a business center with printer, indoor pool, exercise room, an almost-completely cross-trained (and proud of it!) staff. There’s a shuttle which operates not only to/from the airport but will also take you to the car rental facility, the nearby light rail (into Baltimore city and north), the airport Amtrak station, to a Laundromat or grocery or barbershop. There is a sink and small refrigerator in every room. There’s ample hot and cold water that runs quickly; the tub drain closes properly; easy heat/cool controls in a room unit under the window; and blackout curtains. There’s a big flat-screen HD TV. A substantial room block is contracted to AirTran, whose personnel come and go regularly. The staff includes a retired public radio manager and community college instructor. There’s a carbo-heavy but nicely done free breakfast, complimentary (and working) high-speed wireless. [Hotel wireless often is hard to access; this one is easy and reliable. Most systems work on limited bandwidth and customers attempting large long downloads slow the traffic for all users.] There’s a check-in kiosk that delivers a room key in exchange for a credit card swipe, even for Priceline customers! Lobby newspapers. Lobby apples. Ruby Tuesday and Bob Evans restaurants are a short walk or next door. A package delivered for me to the hotel was flawlessly retrieved.

Among a few and (to me) minor problems: few protein choices at breakfast (menu controlled by corporate, guests can buy fresh-cooked food from a lobby or breakfast-room screen, 24 hours); push-toggle light switches that can not be operated with normal finger pressure (a known issue and being replaced), bath mat omitted in one room refresh. I would install a guest laundry facility, now very common in 3-star hotels and a huge convenience for me.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
tclapsaddle, General Manager at Hyatt Place Baltimore BWI Airport, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
I wish to thank you for kind comments. I look forward to seeing both you & all the future guests who have read your findings.

Tom Clapsaddle
Hyatt Place BWI Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We stayed hear for one night prior to our 7am flight out of BWI. The hotel is very clean, quiet, and seems new even if it isn't. We used a park and fly package so we were able to leave our car in there fairly secure parking lot (it is near a lot of federal buildings so the Police regularly patrol the lot at night which is nice) and they shuttled us to and from the airport. That ended up being a lot more economical than paying for parking at BWI.

The room was nice, it has a little office area and a little sink area with fridge. The bed is comfy. The only down side was the bathroom which was tiny. The sink area was huge and the toilet/shower area was microscopic, about the size of a closet. Everything was clean although i think the carpet seemed a little dingy. I was expecting a lot less when we booked, I thought it would be older, not as nicely kept, and a lot louder. We were pleasantly surprised.

We like Hyatt Place because they have some food for sale in the lobby and a decent breakfast plus they are generally well kept. This held true to our previous experiences with Hyatt Place and we would stay again, especially with the park and fly!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

After an exhausting day, I was welcomed and immediately taken care of. The front staff was curteous, even with a late check-in. The rooms were clean and the 42" flat screen certainly helped me relax. I will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
PENNSYLVANIA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I travel quite a bit for business as well as pleasure, so I'm used to the occasional mix-up or substandard hotel conditions.
That said--this hotel has, by FAR, provided me with the single worst, most unsanitary hotel stay that I have EVER experienced.
My reservation was lost. When I provided my reservation number and the name of the person who booked it, the manager ROLLED HIS EYES at me.
It was all downhill from there.
Hair in the bathroom drain, lipstick on the drinking glasses, shampoo bottles that had already been opened...you name it.
I thoght about calling Hyatt, but I believe that potential customers of this hotel might actually pay attention to what I have to say.
Please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
I would love to have apologized for what you experienced as a guest of my hotel but I do not know who you are to do so.

I can assure you that the issues that you experienced here were addressed immediately with my housekeeping and gallery host staff.

We has operators of the hotel care about your experience. Your coming back and your referrals are what keeps us in business.

Tom Clapsaddle
Hyatt Place BWI Airport
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

Wonderful rooms with very comfortable beds, wrap around sofa and 42 inch HD TV. Guest service personnel are hit or miss. Very slow wifi access during the evenings.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Wonderful Hotel. Clean room, comfortable bed, Large flat screen TV, good lighting, nice decor, shuttle to/from airport, good rate. Very friendly and helpful staff. Ruby Tuesday within walking distance. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stayed here at the end of February because we had some business in DC as well as a wedding in Maryland. We had a large room that was clean (except it looked like no one ever cleaned behind the bathroom door). The beds were comfortable and the shower was nice and hot with good pressure. The rooms were very quiet.

The staff was very nice and helpful including giving us a complimentary dessert when we bought 2 of their pre-packaged sandwiches.

This is a typical Hyatt Place that is located in a Hotel District near BWI that has almost every hotel chain. However, this hotel district doesn't have that many restaurants. We saw Wendy's, Quizno's, McDonald's, Starbucks, and Ruby Tuesday's. The Ruby Tuesday's is located right next door to the Hyatt Place so it was convenient to walk to one of the few restaurants in this area. For those who are concerned about their liquor license, they had the application for the license displayed in the window.

The shuttle took us to the BWI rail station to catch MARC train ($6 each way) to DC. The shuttle would have picked us up on our return, but we didn't want to wait for it so we took a cab for about $10.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Baltimore BWI Airport? Share your experiences!