“Worst Hotel We Have Ever Stayed At” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore

You added Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore to your Saves list
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1170 Winterson Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Weymouth, MA
“Worst Hotel We Have Ever Stayed At”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Please stay away from the Microtel BWI! The price seems right, but it is definitely not worth it. My wife, one-year-old son and myself intended on staying at the Microtel for two nights, but we just barely made it through the first.

Our room reeked of mildew and was not very clean. The mildew smell was so overwhelming that it made my wife sick to her stomach. When we tried to switch rooms, we were told there were no other rooms available and that we could check again in the morning. When we checked in the morning, the unsympathetic woman at the desk again told us there were no rooms available. I got the impression that they have heard the same complaint before. After reading other reviews, I realized that others have had the same problem. I usually do my homework when it comes to hotels. In this case I HAD done my homework a year ago and had read decent reviews.

We checked out after staying one night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, which was like a palace after staying at the Microtel. We have stayed at a few other hotels in the area and learned that it is worth putting up an extra $20 per night to avoid staying in a dump like the Microtel. I also learned that things can change quickly in the world of hotels and you must always check Tripadvisor before booking.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Central Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Staying here is like what one would imagine living in residence for the homeless must be like in NYC. People are drunkenly careening off the walls in the hallways at all hours of the night, there is a lot of screaming and yelling, door slamming, running, stomping, wall shaking, deafening noise, and only half of it comes from the other hotel "guests". The rest of the overnight noise comes from the lobby television turned to full blast for the entire night shift, and whatever else the staff does to entertain themselves overnight. I think they play hockey in the halls.

The place is cruddy. Using the air conditioner results in blasting mildewed air into your already sour stench filled room. There are no blankets on the bed. Just the sheets and a weird scarf like thing that is evidently intended to add charm to the bleak surroundings. It was interesting to note that some others compared the room to a dirty hospital room - that is exactly what it resembles.

TV reception? Forget about it. That doesn't seem to matter to the other guests, though. They just turn their tv on to any channel that makes noise and leave, I guess. Considerate of them to share their potentially better tv reception with us, huh?

Breakfast? Gross. I witnessed a staff member remove a large plastic bag of sausage patties from the freezer and stick a wad of frozen sausage in the microwave. Voila. Cooked to a lovely shade of gray.

Business Center? Hahahahah! Good one. There's a computer, but no printer, so what's the point? The wireless access works about forty percent of the time in the room, so it is pretty hit or miss.

I love Microtel and I was very disappointed in this property. I've never seen such a shabby, sad Microtel before. Put it out of its misery.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We needed a place to stay by the airport for our 7 am flight the next morning. Since we were only going to be there for a total of 6 hours, we didn't want to spend a lot but find a basic clean hotel.

The woman behind the desk was very nice and gave us our key card to our room. On our walk through the lobby to our room, my shoes kept sticking to the floor. When we arrived at the room, the keycard didn't work and a tv could be heard inside the room. So, back through the sticky lobby to the front desk where we were given another keycard. The second room was empty but had garbage in the room. Back to the front desk for a third cardkey. The 3rd room at least smelled clean, like strong disinfectent. The a/c was not working well and the sheets seemed damp. There was also fresh ink marks on our sheets. Overall we were afraid to touch anything.

The breakfast was muffins and other breakfast items covered with plastic wrap.

Next time, I will gladly pay a little more for a "cleaner" experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I checked in late at 12:30 a.m. and they had overbooked so my suite wasn't available. The clerk told me he'd take $10 off. I booked (and paid) through Expedia so he couldn't actually do that. When I checked out, Pamela the manager told me to contact Expedia and have them contact her to authorize it. Glad I asked.

My room was decent. It had a musty smell that I didn't notice after a few minutes. The A/C hadn't been set properly so my room was not cool. After a while I played with it and got it cool. The bed was very comfy. High speed internet access was included as was a decent breakfast buffet.

The shower rod had been pulled out and repositioned but was loose at one end and drooped, so the curtain would not stay closed.

Next time I will take my chances elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
PENNSYLVANIA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We got there, entered to register, the lobby & halls were very humid & muggy, I even asked the attendant, are the rooms this Hot! She said no,and it wasn.t very cool, but what a bad lingering smell... It reminded me of the S.P.C.A. smell of cat urine, but even at the S.P.C.A. the have better management of the oder.. it lingererd on our clothing...The shower rod was just about to fall down the curtain would not stay closed. The remote to the TV had no backing the batteries kept falling out & it only worked when you didnt want it to.. It is the perfect place to stay if you just want somewhere to lay your head but overly priced,,, You can go a few blocks more down the road at the Comfort Inn & suites and get what you pay for and more...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
pickerington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Rude employees! Terrible lazy airport driver! dirty rooms

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Arcata, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

The hotel clerks were nice, but they were the only nice aspect to this hotel. I had low expectations – just needed a clean place to crash for the night before heading off to Baltimore and D.C. After nine hours of travel, I arrived to no non-smoking rooms available (despite my having reserved one). Not only did the room stink of cigarettes, but when I went to turn on the air conditioner, the previous occupant had stuffed cigarette butts inside the unit. Not the fault of staff, but someone should have cleaned up better.

They did switch me to another room, which reeked less, but even at the discount rate of $65/night, I expect a little better as far as cleanliness. I was glad to leave – except the lack of nearby transportation on weekends (despite the clerk's assurances that a bus would arrive to take me to the light rail) meant I eventually had to call a cab to get to my destination (Baltimore's Hampden area), which the clerk thought would cost $20, but actually cost $35. So much for savings! If I'd known then what I know now, I would've used my funds toward a nicer hotel in Baltimore proper instead.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore? Share your experiences!