“A real find in the middle of nowhere” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
McLean VA
“A real find in the middle of nowhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Thanks to the good reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to try this little Japanese restaurant while staying at an airport hotel near BWI. From the outside it doesn't look very promising, but don't let that fool you. Once you step inside, you find yourself transported to Japan. The sushi is quite excellent, the sake selection is extensive and the shrimp tempura is very authentic. We liked it so much we returned two days later when we flew back to BWI. The restaurant would have merited five stars if not for the Chicken Teriyaki, which tasted a little off.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ontario, Canada
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The place is away from major roads, from outside looks like nothing interesting. As soon as you open pair of doors you get a very friendly greeting and a smile. Waitresses are patient, knowledgeable about food the restaurant servers and able to make recommendations, despite some minor language problems. Food, if you like Japanese cuisine is great, and prices are affordable. Food is delivered to table quickly, and this is specially important when you eat on the way to the airport (bwi airport is 6 minutes away via back roads). Maki rolls are small, with lots of fish and only small layer of rice around, just the way I like it. Hot food is yummy. Highly recommended place.

Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Don't Do Raw? Still Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We've been going to Matsu fairly regularly since about a year after they opened. I was very pleased with how they had transformed a mom 'n' pop pharmacy into a Japanese Restaurant. While neither my wife nor I eat raw sushi (tuna tataki is our limit) I love the cooked sushi and we both enjoy Bento Boxes, soups and the occasional fried rice (it's just too greasy oily) for us.

That said my son and daughter don't have out hangups and devour the just about anything they serve. None of us have ever had anything we didn't enjoy (well almost...)

I tried smoked salmon once and it was a bad experience, not that there was anything wrong with it (the remaining salmon was picked off my remain pieces and inhaled by the kids) I just couldn't stand it. I made a choice to try something new and it didn't work out... I even tried to conceal my dislike from the staff but, they noticed and offered to refund the dish, I respectfully declined.

We really enjoy the decor, how the staff takes care of us and oh, yeah the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“The best I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My girlfriend suggested Matsu and to be honest, I'm not a super fan of Asian food. I went in with little or no expectations... It turned out to be the best Japanese dish I've ever had in my life. I ordered the fried rice with beef and what a wise choice. The beef was more tender than I've ever had (I'd like it noted that I spent four years stationed in Yokosuka, Japan) and the rice was hot, seasoned and well made... Truly a culinary unexpected treat! If you find yourself anywhere in the area of the airport or surrounding areas, this is a MUST STOP for a pallet pleasing experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Zweibruecken, Germany
“delicious and fresh!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Wish I'd posted a review sooner. This establishment is a tucked away gem, and worth going out of your way to try.

My husband had eaten here several times, before we met for lunch one day. While it attracts a rather large crowd at the lunch hour, they were adequately staffed and prepared for the amount of patrons that stopped in around Noon.

Parking is a bit challenging, as it sits on the corner of a strip plaza with a busy road along the front. Don't let this daunt you - you can still find a place in the parking area of the adjacent hardware store (Note: also worth checking out).

The sushi?! DELICIOUS!!! Very, very fresh - beautifully prepared and presented. The waitstaff was professional and attentive. I was happy to enjoy such a lovely meal for lunch!

One thing about us, we will eat sushi any and everyday we can. This place surpasses many other sushi restaurants we've tried, in that you can tell they pride themselves on buying only the best and freshest fish available.

Since we were just visiting the Baltimore area on an extended stay, we aren't able to stop in again until our next trip. Lucky you if you're nearby, and get to enjoy such good sushi! :-)

• Visited July 2013