“Don't bother! Read about our disappointing crab cakes.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Don't bother! Read about our disappointing crab cakes.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

The decision to have dinner at the G&M turned out to be the wrong one. Finding a parking space was like the bumper cars at the carnival, as cars careened around the lot and waited for a few spots. Taking note of the crowd and those waiting outdoors, I remained positive, thinking surely there would be a fantastic culinary experience once we were paged to our table.

When our party of five was finally paged, we were placed at a cramped table in the bar area, which we could not approach because serving trays for the next table were blocking our way. One of us had to sit on a corner; the table being a four-top. Standees in the crowded bar made us feel hemmed in. I remained positive, "knowing" that the crowding meant EXCELLENT food to come.

We placed our orders. Four of us ordered crabcakes, and one ordered an entree salad.
The crabcake arrived after we completed a mediocre non-fresh garden salad. Upon taking my first bite of the crabcake, my positive anticipation ended. The crabcake was, indeed, all lump. It was indeed, larger than most found elsewhere (this we had heard.) However, I must say it was one of the most bland, overbroiled (dry) and disappointing crabcakes I have ever had. It had a very firm texture, with no creaminess, and no seasoning or spice. The filler that was in it was,I believe breadcrumbs,which seemed to have a musty aftertaste, and to boot, it was cold, probably having sat for a while after preparation. This was just a waste of good lump crab meat.

Sorry to rain on the "parade", but with all the other Maryland crabcake possibilities, I won't be returning to the G&M.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best crabcake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The very best...... why order anything else when you will find no better crab cake!
Well, we did order oysters on half shell first.... but the crab cake... to die for !
No wonder that G & M's is rated best crab cake in Maryland and Maryland is for Crabs.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“THE ABSOLUTE BEST CRABCAKE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Crab Cake was great.
Coconut Cream Pie was marginal.
Friend rated Coconut Custard Pie as ultimate.
We stop at G&M every trip through Baltimore and will continue to do so.
War Eagle

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“PARKING SCAM - MOST EXPENSIVE CRABCAKE IN THE WORLD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We went to pickup a carryout order at 5pm last Saturday. We sat on the parking lot with about a dozen or so cars waiting for a spot to open. There was no street parking so we pulled into the lot to the left of Whitey's. I ran in, picked up the order and walked out the door to see my car being towed down the street. This all happened in under 5 minutes! We found out that Whitey's (or someone, we are not sure who) has hired a spotter. When he sees the car pull into the lot, he signals for the tow truck on the other side of the building. We went back yesterday to see if this is still happening, and saw another car towed. Sad to say, it was Mother's Day. Shame on G&M for not having adequate parking. It cost us $300 to get our car from the towing company lot. That was my last trip ever to G&M. No more recommendations either!

Visited May 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Got a recommendation for G&M from the hotel staff I was staying at and was very pleased with my entire experience. The food was exactly as I ordered and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I will certainly be returning time and time again.

• Visited March 2011