“Good Indian Food near BWI Airport and the many airport chain hotels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Leaf Indian Cuisine

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Good Indian Food near BWI Airport and the many airport chain hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

On one of our recent trips to the Baltimore area to visit my wife's friends and family, we stayed in the Baltimore Hilton BWI Airport location (a nice hotel btw). BWI and its surroundings are kind of the middle of nowhere (as many airports are). So it was a pleasant surprise to discover such a nice restaurant just across the street from the hotel!

We had dinner there with my wife's best friend, and we were all very happy with the quality of the food. And as I recall, the prices were not bad as well. The dining room was rather empty when we were there (on a Saturday evening) - but then, I am sure that they make most of their money from delivery orders to the local hotels.

So if you find yourself at the Hilton or the Marriott or the La Quinta and you don't know what to do for dinner, do what we did - drive two minutes to Bay Leaf!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, Maryland
“Ok food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The food is okay here. The paneer dish can be presented in a more appetizing fashion. Far from where we are so not intending on coming back but worth a try.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch buffet was amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Great Indian Food - enuff said. Absolutely wonderful. I was in/out in under an hour and the buffet had a ton of different foods available.

Visited June 2014
Union Bridge, Maryland
“Airport convenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This place is next door to the Airport Fast Park lot and we recently stopped in for dinner after a return trip. The menu included all the standard fare. No specials were listed.

The samosa chaat was a very good starter with a nice combination of favors. Things took a bit of a down turn after that. The chicken in the tikka masala was chewy and without a hint of having been in a tandoori. The vegetable curry was just plain weird. It kind of tasted like a vindaloo but the vegetables -- squash, broccoli, and such were goopy. Perhaps vegetables capable of standing up to stewing might have helped.

The service was prompt and courteous. The prices were typical of area Indian places at about $14/dish. Decor was pleasant.

I suppose if I were staying at one of the nearby hotels and in need of an Indian food fix, Bay Leaf would suffice. I can't think of a reason to return, however, given the number of better Indian restaurants in the area, like Akbar, Akbar Palace or Royal Taj.

Visited June 2014
Kent, Washington
“Good and gracious restaurant: a hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Thanks again to the powers of TripAdvisor, I was able to select Bay Leaf (BL) as a dining option for a group of 13 colleagues during a business meeting near BWI.

I'd particularly highlight the excellent service -- from making a reservation to accommodate 14 of us (including a toddler) in a small restaurant, to my arrival (and my colleagues' 15-minute-late arrival), through ordering and recommendations and everything else, the staff at Bay Leaf were FAR superior to what I'd tend to expect from a semi-rural strip mall restaurant. Our treasurer paid, but I hope she tipped very, very well.

The location is perhaps the greatest challenge this hidden gem faces. It shares a very small, almost invisible strip with a Starbucks -- near, but isolated from, a variety of airport hotels. SERIOUSLY, BWI visitors: get your hotel shuttle to take you here.

The food was highly above average. With fourteen of us, I was able to sample several dishes. The papadum were peppery, chutneys a good variety of flavors, "bread baskets" (three types of naan) very good. My primary entree, "medium hot" lamb vindaloo, was particularly exceptional, as was an eggplant dish I shared with a friend. The standard chicken tandoori looked and smelled incredible, but my friend wasn't sharing. One colleague braved the "extra hot" option, with adequate warning from the waiter, and survived. Universally, no one complained, which with a business group is very rare.

One warning: Bay Leaf does not serve alcohol, but allows you to bring your own. Some colleagues were nonplussed by that, but we all lived.

Short summary: if you like Indian, and for some reason you're roaming the woods around BWI, this should be near the top of your list.

• Visited June 2014