“ok, but not what I expected” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
arizona
“ok, but not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We chose this hotel based on reviews, and because it was near BWI, the airport we were flying from. Its clean and comfy, and the shuttle to and from airport/amtrak was very good. But if you are traveling mainly in DC, pick somewhere else.

First, amtrack is horribly expensive. It cost us $18 a person to go to DC.For that price we could have rented a car. Plus it doesn't run frequently enough. Second, the place is filled with the smell of clorine, because they leave the pool area door open. When I complained, they just shrugged. the staff knew nothing T hey not only had no maps of DC or the metro, but couldn't even answer a basic question about the area! In fact, except for the gentleman who drove the shuttle, I ound all of the staff unhelpful. Finally, there is no restaurant around this area (despite several hotels nearby), no convenience store, nothing. I guess we got what we paid for. Next time I'll spend a little more and stay in DC proper.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
lbmmoh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed here in two rooms over 3 days. Both the rooms had a funky mildew small in the bathroom, which came from the shower curtains and the dirty shower tiles. First thing, I went to the front and asked for a room change, which the did not accomodate. Next they had me a bottle of industrial strength febreeeze! With no choice I took it to both rooms and sprayed the heck out of them. It helped a tiny, but the funk remained. It was the type of bathroom you just want to jump in, do your business, and get the heck out. Never comfortable in there, even at night due to the dripping shower head. Otherwise the rooms were clean. The breakfast is the best part of this hotel, most free ones stink, but they do it right here. You have to beat the rush to get yourself a self made waffle, but its worth it. They should have two machines, but the other items on the buffet are good too. The eggs and sausage patties make for good sausage mcmuffin type sandwiches. The location is about 15 minutes to downtown baltimore which was great, and its a short 3 minute drive to G&M, one of the best crabcakes in the city. The doors are thin, so if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs...youll hear people outside at night, and walking the halls and closing/opening doors. For the money, the hotel was OK, but could use a few small improvements that will make all the difference. Free wifi is always a big plus for me as well, so kudos on that.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Glen Rock, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Based on Trip Advisor reviews and price, I chose the BWI Wingate for a one-night stay for business. I arrived via the Amtrak Northeast Corridor line via the BWI Airport station. After calling the hotel, I waited twenty minutes for the complimentary shuttle. The hotel is about a ten minute ride from the airport.

I booked the room through Trip Advisor, getting the lowest rate with a AAA discount. This was a very good value.

The room felt spacious with a single king bed. Set up with a club chair and ottoman, plus a spacious desk, this room layout is very good for a business traveler. Next to the closet was a niche with fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. I made use of the stereo clock radio that includes an input cable for an iPod. The bathroom was comfortable and clean with the usual appointments and plenty of towels.

The complimentary breakfast was good, with a nice variety of hot and cold food. The dining area just off the front lobby is pleasantly screened from the main lobby area and spacious.

The neighborhood was quiet – many of the airport hotels are clustered nearby. My daytime destination was the UMBC campus nearby. I noticed that this Wingate seems to cater to flight crews.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel – clean, well organized, spacious room, very good service, and convenient to the airport and Amtrak station. I would recommend it highly for budget conscious business travelers.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
MACON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

I can't understand why this hotel is rated 12 of 19 in the area. We were trying to travel cheap over spring break but Baltimore put an end to that. However, of all of the hotels located in safe places, this was one of the least expensive. When we checked in, I had no idea how wonderful the experience would be. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The beds were exceptionally comfortable and the room was so quiet! Breakfast had couple of hot items, eggs, sausage and waffles (you make them.) The hotel was very convenient to downtown Baltimore. I have traveled a lot for business in the last couple of years and I wish every place I had stayed was as nice as this.

• Liked — Everything was comfortable - beds, building, staff
  • Disliked — There was no down side to this hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

After spending an amazing week on the road in Colorado, Nevada, Maryland, and Washington D.C., I had to return to reality. I had stayed in 4 hotels over 7 days, each with its own story. The last hotel I stayed in was the Wingate by Wyndham near the BWI airport. I had been expecting the typical nondescript,, mid-priced, airport hotel, but how I was surprised!
My sister, mother and I took the Metro from D.C. to BWI. While I was flying out that same day, my mother's flight was for the next day. We called the hotel to arrange for the shuttle to pick us up. The driver was there in 30 seconds! True, he was picking up other passengers at the time, but it was perfect timing!

When we arrived, the check in was quick and polite. I must say that the lobby was inviting: Coffee 24/7, nice decor, and close to the rooms. There was a pool, small gym, and a hot tub.
The business center was next to the front desk. There were two computers, a printer, a fax, pens, paper, etc. available for use. We quickly logged on FOR FREE and printed out our boarding passes. The front desk gave us many options for restaurants to try before my flight. We were expecting to have to walk or take a taxi to the Italian restaurant that we had chosen, but the front desk offered the hotel shuttle to us. The driver picked us up within minutes, drove us to the restaurant and picked us up when we had finished. The driver was quick, kind, and prompt!
Within a few minutes of our drop off from dinner, he gave me a ride to the airport.

During my short stay, the hotel staff did everything they could to make our stay comfortable and welcoming. The spacious king room had a micro/fridge combo. The coffee maker was located OUTSIDE of the bathroom (anywhere near the bathroom is revolting!). The shower head had a unique multi-flow system, and the bed was comfortable.
What a perfect stay!

Considering that it was my last night, I felt sad that this short stop was the end of my journey. If the other hotels had offered 50% of the what the Wingate had provided, my trip would have been outstanding. My previous hotels were: Hyatt Bethesda ($16.00 for internet kiosk use!), The Bellagio Las Vegas (that will be discussed soon!) The Gold Coast Las Vegas (no "real" business center, hot tub, or decent pillows), The Hampton Inn Las Vegas (great breakfast, nice business center, but $160/night!), and La Quinta Denver (double beds should fit two people...orange juice should not taste like water...) So, there is my cross-country adventure! Thank you, Wingate!

• Liked — The staff! Amazing service!
  • Disliked — Had to leave!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

Our first impression of the hotel was great. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. (I can't remember her name - something like Cora? She was there on Sat 9/8/07 around 2:30pm when we checked in, and Sun 9/9/07when we checked out around 12noon.)The room itself was pretty nice, although we were missing the remote for the TV.They brought one up,but it didn't work right (every button changed the channel.) The room was clean and roomy, and the bed comfortable.

The problem was that we took the shuttle to the light rail to get to Camden Yards in Baltimore for the baseball game.(The hotel was PACKED with Red Sox fans watching them play the Orioles.) No problem on the way there.

On the way back, there were severe miscommunication problems regarding the shuttle. We were simply told to take the light rail to BWI and call from there to be picked up. We were NOT told to go to any special location to be picked up. When we called to be picked up, they said it would “be a while” as they were backed up. Each time we called, Sharon kept assuring us it was "on the way" and it wasn't until the 4th call that she finally understood that we were on the lower deck not the upper deck. They never mentioned there were 2 decks.. The person answering the phone at this time was Sharon, who was very curt and not helpful. It took 2 hours for us to get picked up. It was only a 4-min ride back to the hotel once we got picked up.If I'd known we were that close, I would have walked. We saw about 8 shuttles for the Marriott hotels pass us by during that time.

First, with the number of Red Sox fans at the hotel for the game, they should have known to have more shuttles running. There was only one. Everyone is going to leave the game around the same time. Second, they should have told people exactly where to go to get picked up.

We got back to the hotel so late (12:30am) and got very little sleep that night.We had to order pizza in our room since everything was closed.It almost ruined the entire trip.We were fuming at the time. However, the shuttle really was the only problem. The breakfast was very good and well stocked. I didn't use the pool, fitness center, or whirlpool, but they looked nice. The location is great. We drove into Baltimore for the game on Sunday and it was very quick to get to downtown Baltimore from this hotel.

• Liked — Close to Baltimore
  • Disliked — Shuttle Bus service/communication
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Suisun, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

I did not stay at this hotel. I needed I place to stay for one night before my flight in the morning. I went to several hotels near BWI but they were mostly booked up. The one I did find was more then $200.00. I just needed a place to rest my head for a few hours. Well the Lord sent me to see Rudy. He did not have any rooms but he pulled out the phone book, made some calls and found a very stressed and tired traveler a room. I just wanted to thank him for that and if I ever need to stay in that area again, the Wingate will be the place.

• Liked — Rudy
  • Disliked — can't say
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport? Share your experiences!