“Reservation Horror” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 29 hotels in Linthicum Heights
Rochester, New York
“Reservation Horror”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked the Wingate as it had an affiliation with a wedding venue in the area. We had a 30 room block for our guests who were coming from all over the US. From inception, our guests had NUMEROUS issues with attempting to secure a reservation--from being told there was no block of rooms secured to misquoting pricing and when a reservation was made using a credit card--there was no reservation! This occurred throughout the process even after speaking with the sales reps. (the sales rep. I dealt with was very responsive and accommodating). On the plus side our room was clean, housekeeping was very accomodating, and there was ample breakfast food for the many guests that were there. I do not believe the current staff are trained to handle large bookings and would not recommend this hotel for groups at this time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
wingate12702, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Away We Go,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. While I am glad to hear that our Sales Manager took good care of you and our property was comfortable while you stayed with us, I am sorry about your unpleasant reservations experience.

We will utilize this feedback to better train our front desk and reservations associates in making group reservations within wedding blocks.

Thank you again - and congratulations on your recent union!

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Merida, Yucatan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was our first stay at a Wingate and we were very impressed by how professionally the hotel is run. It is located near the airport, but you get no plane noise. We used the hotel’s airport shuttle several times and the drivers were all very polite and friendly.

The hotel is very well maintained and the rooms are spacious with a fridge and microwave. Air con, TV and bathroom fittings were all fine and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was more than decent and there were plenty of tables available. We all enjoyed the pool, although the water was a bit cool. There is a Bob Evans steakhouse next door when you get peckish.

They offer special rates at weekends and also reduced rates for staying 3 nights. We paid only $89 per night and felt that was a very good rate.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
wingate12702, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
londoner,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were in town (7 hour drive) for a wedding that I was in (bridesmaid). We all HAD to book in the blocks because that was the only way we were able to get the shuttle to and from the venue.
This meant that we paid $40 more a night, for 2 nights for a 1 way ride back from the venue because we had a limo to go there -- that is unacceptable.
Then I called in advance to try and get an early check-in and I was told, “well, we cannot guarantee anything, but we can try” -- that would be acceptable until you hear what happened.

I called the day of, August 9th, at 9am (I was already on the road for 4 hours) and asked if they can please make sure my room was ready BY 12, when we got in because we had the rehearsal dinner AT 3, I was told again, “well, our check-in time is at 3, but I will alert the maid service to have all of the blocked rooms cleaned first.” I was very polite and grateful for Lexi’s assistance in that matter.

I got in at 12pm and the girl looked at me completely confused when I said I was there to check in. She said, “oh I'm sorry, I don't think we can get you in, we do not check-in until 3” (same girl, Lexi, as when I called). I nicely let her know AGAIN that I was in the wedding and there are two more couples coming behind me that all need to shower and really need to have their rooms ready and would all really appreciate the help. Lexi again said that she can tell the maid service to clean my room next (which she said the blocked rooms were supposed to be done first so that isn't even consistent if she has to tell them to do it next after she knew I would be there AT 12).

At 1:00, I was told they were "getting" to my room to clean it. I sat in the lobby working on my computer until my room was ready at 1:30 (this is 1.5 hours after I not only asked for but arrived there and I can clean my whole house in that amount of time). At 1:30 another couple were there and 30 minutes later the last couple (all in the wedding as well) were there, and their rooms were also not ready; again Lexi gave the same excuses of you cannot check-in before 3 and they will be next -- they also called early that morning with the same concerns.

After we got to our rooms we realized that there were only about 3 couples in our party on the 5th floor and everyone else was on the 4th floor, bride on the 2nd. If you call it a “block” and book it that way, then it makes no sense that we were not even close to our party/friends, appears since we had to rebook because we originally were not in the block due to money, we were shafted to secluded rooms. One of our friends even booked outside of the block and had the room next to the bride!

The next morning we then called down to the front desk because we could not get the maid service and we yet again get Lexi. We asked if we can get some towels and wash clothes because we showered last night to get ready for the rehearsal dinner. Lexi told us that we had to call maid service, we told her that we did and they did not answer - she then told us that we need to go find them. What is the point of paying to stay at a hotel if I need to do all of the work? I have never been told to go find other employees or my own towels and wash clothes. After my boyfriend gave her a question of, we need to find them ourselves, she asked how many we would need and she GUESSED she can get someone to bring them up.

I have to say, all other staff was beyond helpful and polite and kind because we did run into maid service and handy men and they were delightful to talk to, but we had the WORST experience with Lexi and the price of the stay for 2 nights being more costly than I had booked via my credit card company online. We actually planned on staying 5 nights just to site see and we cancelled 3 nights when we found out we could not use our credit card reservation price and had to use the block price (again $40 more a night).

Beyond the finances and inconvenience for us, this went above and beyond inconvenient for the Bride and her family which to me says more than anything because this was supposed to be the least stressful experience to make their day/weekend memorable but instead this has made it memorable in a bad, untactful way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Janessa D,

Our General Manager, Roxanne Rivera, has responded to the email you sent her. I want to apologize, once again, that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us.

Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. All the amenities were as described. My biggest compliment goes to the housekeeping Dept., especially to Housekeeper - Ms Mellisa Saulo. I had forgotten a very expensive GPS and Ms. Saulo saw it in my room and came running down to the front desk before I checked out to return it to me.

Such honesty and integrity should be rewarded by the management of this hotel. Mellisa Saulo also did an impeccable job in taking care of our room.

Also, the breakfast was great, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Baltimore. It is only 12-15 minutes from the Inner Harbor without all the traffic and confusion and the price difference is remarkable. Great Job Wingate, Linthicum.

Thanks for everything, see you again soon,

James and Carmen Hammond & Family

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
wingate12702, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Jim H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our property. We are truly thankful to have staff like Mellisa who are trustworthy and dedicated. I'm also happy to see that you had a great stay overall. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the area!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel was overbooked for a family reunion so a reservation that a friend made months ago did not have the room he requested. They also ran out of pillows. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hal B,

Thank you for your review, your feedback is extremely valuable to us. I apologize that your friend did not receive the room type he had reserved at the time he booked. We make every effort to ensure our guests receive their requested room type, but there are times when we have sold-out situations and a guest extends a stay leading to an oversold room type. As for pillows, I've passed that feedback along to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure we have enough extras available.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I recently got married and used the Wingate by Wyndham BWI for my out of town wedding guests and I also booked a room for myself to use the morning of my wedding to get ready. We selected this hotel because they provided a free shuttle to and from our venue if you had a minimum of 15 room nights books and also offered a free wedding night suite if you acquired the 15 room nights. The hotel was clean and comfortable and met our basic needs. The morning breakfast was also a plus. I did have a few issues with the process and the staff. A few of my guests called to book a room under our wedding block and wanted to know the details of the package and how many nights we had set aside in our block. None of the staff could answer the questions causing the majority of my guests to call me with their questions. There is only one person who has access to your wedding block details and she has a standard 9-5 schedule. We had a small wedding so we were worried about meeting the 15 room night requirement. It was very important for us to have the shuttle since some of our guests were flying in and the cost of the shuttle without the package is extremely high. I had to continually call or email the HR manager in order to get a count on our rooms. They really should have a way for the bride and groom to log in on their website and see how many rooms are booked or give the staff access, that would have alleviated a lot of stress. I also had an issue with the night time front desk associate. He was probably the RUDEST hotel employee I have every encountered. One of my friends came very late the night before my wedding, deciding to get a room. I came down to the lobby to let her in and we went up to the desk and I explained that I had a wedding block and my friend needed a room. Without even checking the computer he informed me there were no wedding blocks. Well obviously there were because my guests and myself were checked in. I politely asked him to look in the computer and gave him the block name and he sighed and logged onto his computer and said there were no wedding blocks that evening and he didn't know what to tell me. Seriously?! Regardless we needed a room so my friend managed to get a room on the same floor but at the opposite end of the hallway. Also the night before I asked if my guests who were leaving after the wedding could have a late check out since my wedding was in the AM and they would not be there for check out time. I was told it shouldn't be a problem but to call back in the AM. I called again 3 hours before I was due to leave and was told someone would get back to me. No one did, but the HR rep called to make sure everything was going well and I asked her if anyone approached her with my request. She said no and that she would get back to me. 20 minutes before I was due to leave she called back saying they were booked and could not hold the rooms. At this point I was trying to get in my dress and had to have all my guests bring their luggage into my room. The communication at this hotel could use some managing and the night time front desk clerk should not be involved in direct customer service.

sprovizzi,

First and foremost, congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for allowing us to be a small part of it. Your feedback is really important to us, and we are using it to make the reservations process for weddings better at our property. Our management team is equipping our front desk staff with tools to make the reservations process smoth and easy for guests, while also educating them about the details of the transportation package. While I agree that having something setup online for bride's and groom's to access their wedding blocks is a great idea, our hotel simply doesn't have the technology to support that at this time.

I apologize that our front desk associate did not handle your requests properly, and for the miscommunication regarding your guests luggage being stored. It is our goal not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed expectations and make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. If there is anything I can do for you please feel free to contact me directly at jporter@stevensmanagement.net or 410-859-0003 X 7037.

Thank you and please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here as part of a park and fly package. Room was clean and comfortable. Shuttle to airport was easy, and they came quickly when we called for pickup (at after midnight).

One big complaint was the noise -- we could hear the people in the next room very easily and anyone talking or running in the hallway was very obvious.

Pool was fine, although spa was not open when we went. We left too early for breakfast.

ElizabethLB,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and for staying with us as part of a Park and Fly package. I apologize you had some issues with noise in the room. Unfortunately, our Whirlpool is closed indefinitely, but as you stated we have a very nice heated indoor pool.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Director of Sales

Been to Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport? Share your experiences!