“Absent housekeeping, filthy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport

Save Saved
You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
GreenLeadersGold level
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Absent housekeeping, filthy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a recent business trip. The location was perfect, but the hotel is dark, and dirty. Housekeeping appeared to have shown up the first day. Bed was made and towels replenished but trash not emptied. The second day, the room was not cleaned at all. No fresh towels, bed not made, trash not emptied. No housekeeping at all. Lobby is dark and floors were filthy. No coffee cups at the coffee stations, but coffee tasted like hot water anyway. I went to Starbucks. Would never stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Cynthia H,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels. We're sorry to hear that your recent stay in the Baltimore area was less than satisfactory. Thank you for alerting us about your lack of housekeeping experience. We are currently working through these challenges and hope to see some improvements in the near future. Thank you for your honest feedback.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for the 2013 Inauguration. We booked before the election results were in and took a gamble with a refundable rate. We saved a bundle by staying in Baltimore rather than DC and thought it was a great trip. We knew they would be really busy (it sold out several weeks beforehand, friend couldn't get a room) and anticipated long waits and frazzled staff. Everyone was polite, room was ready with an early check-in and the shuttle was a great asset. They dropped us off right where the bus to the DC metro picked up and came by frequently. There were 3 of us in a 2Q room with plenty of room. USB and HDMI ports, comfy beds and the bathroom soaps smell amazing! Some friends were also staying here, so the lobby area was nice to hang out, play pool and catch up. The downside is that there wasn't much in the walking area. It was very cold and we wanted to spend the first night in the area, which meant a trek to Chilis and the movie theater. There is not a sidewalk all the way though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear krtx7,
Thanks so much for your online review. We're happy to hear you had a great stay with us earlier this year and enjoyed your time. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to your return should your future travel plans bring you back to the Baltimore area.
Winter Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I really like the concept for this chain of hotels. It's upbeat and hip with a Scandinavian design. This hotel is close to the airport along with a number of other hotels. I liked the room a lot. I had a king-sized bed and built in desk. The bathroom was modern and clean. However, the carpet in the hallways was not vacuumed and the floor in the elevator was not clean. The floor in the room was clean, thankfully. The room was very quiet; I could never hear other guests. The first night, I got in late, and there was no toilet paper in the bathroom--not even an empty roll. Also, there was no bath soap in the dispenser in the shower. Thank goodness the Kleenex box was full. The next morning I went downstairs to the desk and told them, and they gave me a $10 drink coupon for my inconvenience. There aren't a lot of dining options in the immediate area. The staff at the desk were great, but the bartender was a little aloof. I felt like I should apologize for ordering. There was only one kind of wine available at the bar--Woodbridge. The beers at the bar were $5.00. There is no restaurant, but they do have bar food. I had the fish and chips, and it was really good. The guy sitting next to me said his barbeque sandwich was good. I would stay here again for the price I paid on Priceline but would not pay rack rates.

Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was attending a conference for work at another hotel in the BWI area but the hotel cost was on me. The conference rate at the other hotel was higher than I wanted to pay so I started looking for somewhere close by (walking distance) at a better rate. Most of the hotels I found were the traditional chain hotels without much in the way of amenities until I found Aloft. It sounded great on the website and it was. It's stylish, with a lobby bar, pool tables, great 24 hur snack bar and an indoor pool and gym. The staff is very friendly and helpful. While Aloft doesn't have a restaurant the bar serves some great appetizers and light fare that can easily make a meal. Although I didn't try it you can buy hot breakfast in the morning.The lobby furniture is comfortable and set up in a way that encourages conversation and mingling. There's a small but pleasant outdoor patio with plenty of seating.The rooms are attractive, the bed was very comfortable and the glassed walk-shower was wonderful.

The only negatives I would mention, and they are small negatives, is that the liquid soap dispenser was empty when I arrived on day one and wasn't refilled the next day. The room had a set up for tea and coffee and although I used the last tea bag on my first day, there weren't any added for the next day. So I'd say the housekeeping could pay a bit more attention to detail but the big thing-cleanliness was fine. The a/c in my room was a bit noisy but not enough to make it hard to sleep. I talked with another guest though and that was not the case in their room.

The location is good if you have to be near the airport or, like me, are attending a conference in the area. There's a free shuttle to the Amtrak station and the airport but it's not a walkable area. It woudl be an easy drive to I-95 into Baltimore. There are a few restaurants within walking distance at nearby hotels.

Green Features: The hotel is definitely geared towards being green environmentally. I liked that there is a recycling container in each room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear NancyinMD,
Thank you for trying Aloft Hotels and thank you for your wonderful review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your first time here and sounds like you took advantage of many of the amenities we have to offer. Thanks again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the area.
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The best thing about Aloft is the website, it does a great job of giving the illusion that they have all the services a 4 or 5 star hotel has.

When we arrived we discovered the bar only served appetizers, and there is no room service. We really like morning coffee delivered when we are getting up early to catch a flight. There was no coffee service, this was a disappointment. However, the rooms do have coffee makers.

Room Tip: Go to the 4 points on the airport grounds, same price and much better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JeffandCarla2013,
We apologize for any misunderstanding of what Aloft Hotels offers. By no means are we considered a "full service" hotel as we do not have an on-site restaurant or room service. We are 1 of Starwood's 3 Specialty Select Brands. We don't have coffee service, but each guest room offers a coffee maker and we provide free regular coffee in Re:fuel for our guests. We hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us again.
Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Such a hip and fun place. Amazingly helpful and friendly staff and always look forward to coming here! Clean rooms with fun amenities and a modern twist. Van schedule can be an issue sometimes, they were sharing a van with the hotel next door last time I was here so there was a bit of a wait, but the hotel is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Ashley Y,
Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to your return the next time your travels bring you to the BWI/Baltimore area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Aloft is such a predictable spot - I have stayed at these hotels in many different cities and enjoyed the firm mattresses, soft sheets, in room coffee, high design, friendly staff and groovy music every time. This was my first stay at Aloft BWI and I immediately noticed that all of the staff seemed really friendly and happy - so that is a plus! I was a bit sad to learn that the shuttle would not take me to "nearby" Arundel Mills as I had planned, but I spent a happy couple of hours relaxing at the hotel instead. I love the vibe at Aloft and find it a very peaceful place to be. A few notes to the management for some minor improvements - when your guests call for the shuttle - give them an accurate estimate - even if it is a wide range - between 5 and 20 minutes would be fair. I used the shuttle service 4 times in 2 days and was always dramatically surprised at how fast (under 1 minute) to how slow (over 30 minutes) my wait would be. I know this is not an exact science and difficult to predict, but try to give a somewhat accurate guess in terms of minutes. Also, it was really, really painful to wake up on my second morning to realize that the cleaning service had failed to replenish the tea and cream. This might seem minor, but having to get dressed and presentable to go down to the lobby on Sunday morning is points off....... Were they mad that I did not leave a Saturday tip???? I didn't have any change until Sunday and then I definitely did NOT leave a tip - nor a mess. Otherwise, a happy and peaceful stay and I thank you. I hope my comments are helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear phloxMaryland,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay in the BWI area. We appreciate you being loyal to the Aloft Hotels brand and definitely feel honored that you stayed with us while in the area. We're sorry we disappointed you with the beverage refresh miss and the unpredictable shuttle. We have forwarded your comments to our appropriate teams and look to make improvements. Thanks so much for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!