You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
GreenLeadersGold level
Bethesda, MD
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was attending a conference for work at another hotel in the BWI area but the hotel cost was on me. The conference rate at the other hotel was higher than I wanted to pay so I started looking for somewhere close by (walking distance) at a better rate. Most of the hotels I found were the traditional chain hotels without much in the way of amenities until I found Aloft. It sounded great on the website and it was. It's stylish, with a lobby bar, pool tables, great 24 hur snack bar and an indoor pool and gym. The staff is very friendly and helpful. While Aloft doesn't have a restaurant the bar serves some great appetizers and light fare that can easily make a meal. Although I didn't try it you can buy hot breakfast in the morning.The lobby furniture is comfortable and set up in a way that encourages conversation and mingling. There's a small but pleasant outdoor patio with plenty of seating.The rooms are attractive, the bed was very comfortable and the glassed walk-shower was wonderful.

The only negatives I would mention, and they are small negatives, is that the liquid soap dispenser was empty when I arrived on day one and wasn't refilled the next day. The room had a set up for tea and coffee and although I used the last tea bag on my first day, there weren't any added for the next day. So I'd say the housekeeping could pay a bit more attention to detail but the big thing-cleanliness was fine. The a/c in my room was a bit noisy but not enough to make it hard to sleep. I talked with another guest though and that was not the case in their room.

The location is good if you have to be near the airport or, like me, are attending a conference in the area. There's a free shuttle to the Amtrak station and the airport but it's not a walkable area. It woudl be an easy drive to I-95 into Baltimore. There are a few restaurants within walking distance at nearby hotels.

Green Features: The hotel is definitely geared towards being green environmentally. I liked that there is a recycling container in each room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear NancyinMD,
Thank you for trying Aloft Hotels and thank you for your wonderful review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your first time here and sounds like you took advantage of many of the amenities we have to offer. Thanks again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The best thing about Aloft is the website, it does a great job of giving the illusion that they have all the services a 4 or 5 star hotel has.

When we arrived we discovered the bar only served appetizers, and there is no room service. We really like morning coffee delivered when we are getting up early to catch a flight. There was no coffee service, this was a disappointment. However, the rooms do have coffee makers.

Room Tip: Go to the 4 points on the airport grounds, same price and much better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JeffandCarla2013,
We apologize for any misunderstanding of what Aloft Hotels offers. By no means are we considered a "full service" hotel as we do not have an on-site restaurant or room service. We are 1 of Starwood's 3 Specialty Select Brands. We don't have coffee service, but each guest room offers a coffee maker and we provide free regular coffee in Re:fuel for our guests. We hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us again.
Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Such a hip and fun place. Amazingly helpful and friendly staff and always look forward to coming here! Clean rooms with fun amenities and a modern twist. Van schedule can be an issue sometimes, they were sharing a van with the hotel next door last time I was here so there was a bit of a wait, but the hotel is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Ashley Y,
Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to your return the next time your travels bring you to the BWI/Baltimore area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Aloft is such a predictable spot - I have stayed at these hotels in many different cities and enjoyed the firm mattresses, soft sheets, in room coffee, high design, friendly staff and groovy music every time. This was my first stay at Aloft BWI and I immediately noticed that all of the staff seemed really friendly and happy - so that is a plus! I was a bit sad to learn that the shuttle would not take me to "nearby" Arundel Mills as I had planned, but I spent a happy couple of hours relaxing at the hotel instead. I love the vibe at Aloft and find it a very peaceful place to be. A few notes to the management for some minor improvements - when your guests call for the shuttle - give them an accurate estimate - even if it is a wide range - between 5 and 20 minutes would be fair. I used the shuttle service 4 times in 2 days and was always dramatically surprised at how fast (under 1 minute) to how slow (over 30 minutes) my wait would be. I know this is not an exact science and difficult to predict, but try to give a somewhat accurate guess in terms of minutes. Also, it was really, really painful to wake up on my second morning to realize that the cleaning service had failed to replenish the tea and cream. This might seem minor, but having to get dressed and presentable to go down to the lobby on Sunday morning is points off....... Were they mad that I did not leave a Saturday tip???? I didn't have any change until Sunday and then I definitely did NOT leave a tip - nor a mess. Otherwise, a happy and peaceful stay and I thank you. I hope my comments are helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear phloxMaryland,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay in the BWI area. We appreciate you being loyal to the Aloft Hotels brand and definitely feel honored that you stayed with us while in the area. We're sorry we disappointed you with the beverage refresh miss and the unpredictable shuttle. We have forwarded your comments to our appropriate teams and look to make improvements. Thanks so much for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have stayed at this Aloft several times over the past couple of years. The staff is by far the friendliest and most helpful you will find! The rooms and decor are modern and fresh. The rooms are simple, but very usable. The walk in shower is far better than any room with a tub that seldom, if ever, gets used. The bar is well stocked and the sitting area is nicely designed. The in-door-pool is great for kids and adults alike. A very pleasant place to stay!

Room Tip: Any room is great!!
Green Features: Recycling is encouraged! Very eco green! The review presented is very true of Aloft.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Lyonsden249,
Thank you for your continued loyalty. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed the service our team provided along with the additional amenities we offer. Thanks again for your kind thoughts and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I spent about 3 hrs here after our wedding but evening though we spent so little time here the staff was definitely helpful. My only two detractors would be that you have to pay for breakfast and also that the shuttle is not the most reliable. The room was clean and prepared for us after a long day after our wedding.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just finished our stay at Aloft BWI. We enjoyed our stay very much. Room was very clean and well appointed. Check in was also very easy and the clerk was extremely helpful and friendly. The only negative we experienced was that the safe in the room wasn't secured or bolted to anything. I was able to pick up the safe and could've walked out of the room with it if I was a "bad guy." They also provided free parking and a free shuttle to the airport. This was huge bonus to us as long term hotel parking would've cost around $70. So the stay was well worth it. We will surely stay at Aloft again if we ever fly out of BWI in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Davisctd,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay in the BWI. We have forwarded your comment regarding the safe and will look to secure this. Thanks again for sharing and we hope to host you again in the future.

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!