“Refreshing decor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport

Save Saved
You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 West Nursery Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Seattle, Washington
“Refreshing decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My teenage daughter chose this hotel based on the appearance. If Ikea built a hotel, this is what it would look like. We checked in very late, wish we had gotten in earlier so I could check out the bar in the lobby, it has a great design with LED lights imbedded in the black top. The décor continued into the room, with a big screen TV and minimalistic décor. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, a little too hard, but we were so tired, it did not really matter. Really liked the arrangement of the bathroom area. Very updated bowl sink, with boutique soup, and free bottled water. The enclosed glass shower was wonderful with a large shower head with good water pressure. Also included dispensers for soap and shampoo (okay if you do not need separate conditioner). Grab and go breakfast in the lobby, but the coffee/espresso maker was broken, and that was all I really wanted. Settled for the in room coffee, which was better than most hotel room coffee. Would request a room on one of the upper floors just because I would have liked to open the blinds in the morning, and felt a bit exposed on the first floor with them open.

Room Tip: Not on the first floor if you like to open the blinds.
Green Features: If you decline fresh towels and bedding, you get a $5 bar credit. Like the soap dispensers instead of individual small toiletry bottles.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear ellemom,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the BWI area. We're happy to hear you and your family enjoyed the hotel and the decor. We hope to host you and your family here again and definitely call us ahead of time to request a room on a higher floor. Thanks again for sharing!

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have used this hotel twice in the last two years to park and fly out of BWI. We consider this to be a solid choice in the area for this service.

The staff has been helpful, and friendly enough. There's a modern lobby, with a lounge. There is a quick service (grab and go) area, but no full service restaurant. While a downside, it is very close to several dining options near by.

We have found the room to be a highlight of this property. As the name suggests, it's much like a loft. Modern, clean, comfortable. An open design with a nice flatscreen TV mounted on the wall. We have found the rooms to be more than adequate.

The hotel is about a 5 minute drive by shuttle. The shuttle was attentive, but we found that the hotel (at least the times when we were there) shared its early morning shuttle service with the hotel next door. We waited at that hotel for several minutes as well, which made it more of a 15-20 minute drive to the airport between waiting at Aloft and the adjacent hotel. Keep this in mind to give yourself adequate time to get to the airport.

Upon our return, we called the hotel and the shuttle arrived pretty quickly each time. We just jumped into the car and left.

All in all, we recommend Aloft for a park and fly option. What my wife and I tend to do is compare parking/room rates between this hotel and Four Points BWI and we will go with whomever is cheaper (frankly). If the cost is the same, we tend to select Four Points given its closer proximity to the airport, shuttle attentiveness and on-property restaurant (see our reviews of the Four Points and its restaurant Michener's for more information). However, we would use Aloft again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Mr_and_Mrs_Smith2011,
Thank you for your online review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay during your most recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here in 2009 right after they opened. It was really nice, probably because it was new. Now, not so much. Beds were terrible. I love a firm bed but this was like sleeping on plywood boards. The hotel isn't being kept up. Scratches and dents in the walls all through the corridors, holes in the wall of our room, ripped wall paper, stains all over the carpet, hair in the beds. Rude staff. Waited over 30 minutes in the hot sun at the BWI Business District light rail for the shuttle to come. When I called after 20 minutes the front desk guy was clueless and downright rude. Other hotel shuttles were there TWICE in the time it took for our shuttle to come. Then one night there was an event over at the neighboring Hilton. Overflow parking was in the Aloft lots (we watched as guests left the Hilton and got in their cars) and we had absolutely nowhere to park. We were told at the front desk to park at the Hilton. Again, rude and clueless. We like staying in this area and taking the light rail into the city. Never again at this Aloft.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dera MissDelilah1975,
Thank you for your online review. We're sorry we did not exceed your expectations during your recent visit to the BWI area. We would love to chat with you more about your recent experience. Please reach out to our General Manager, Michael, at michael.harold@aloftbwi.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I both have backgrounds in hospitality industry so we have a pretty critical eye. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon for an early morning flight on Monday. Friendly staff at check in who was willing to point out all of the hotel features and amenities.

The room has a radical design compared to a traditional hotel, but we really liked it. I am not a big fan when hotels put the shampoo and body wash in a dispenser in the shower, but other than that the shower was perfect. The rug in the room could use an extraction, but the room was otherwise spotless. Nice 40 inch flat screen TV with a good selection of channels.

The shuttle to the airport and back was prompt and the drivers were courteous and professional.

Overall the beds were comfortable,the rooms were quiet, the shower was hot and the coffee in the lobby was free.

We will stay here again the next time we have an early flight.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor about half way down. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tarrytown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I like staying at Aloft properties. Granted, the rooms need a rehab, and they should get rid of the soap/shampoo dispensers. The place has a nice modern vibe. My room was on the top floor facing the airport so I could watch the planes land and take off (can we say airplane geek). Very cool. I also like the bar and lounge with the pool table. Friendly bar tenders and a good selection of beer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Great hotel. Friendly, helpful staff. Didn't see any ice machines, so staff member gave us ice from the break room. Wanted to print airline tickets, but the printer was down. Manager went out of his way to print the vouchers for us, instead just saying that the printer was down. Free shuttle to/from the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I arrived for a 2 night stay this week. Upon checking in to the first room I noticed numerous stains on the carpets, a TV that didn't work and a toilet that was slow to flush. I figured that perhaps the TV would fix itself (pixelated image) and the toilet eventually started to flush properly.

When I went to sleep I realized that the platform bed was very hard and not comfortable. Upon arising after a fitful night of sleep, I went to take a shower. Lo and behold, the shower gel dispenser wouldn't work so I had to remove the top and dunk the washcloth into the liquid. Really not cool. This should have been noticed by housekeeping.

A manager replaced the dispenser and a couple people checked into the TV issue. Later in the day, I went to the desk to ask what was wrong with the TV reception. Long story short, I was changed to another room, just next to the original.

That room, 108, had a mildew smell, and I found 2 bugs in the 12 hours I was there (cricket and some sort of beetle). Upon further inspection, there is a great deal of mold in the grout on the tile floor! Disgusting! Again, when I went to use the shower I had a problem-No HOT WATER!! When I mentioned the bugs, the night audit associate said, 'oh the front doors open and close all the time, bugs always come in.." Really??

I went back to the front desk to ask for a room change.....up to the second floor. Well, this room has no soap dish, no handle to turn on the shower, and no cord on one of the blinds!!

Obviously no one is being held accountable for rooms being clean and with everything in working order. Currently I am awaiting a call from the General Manager.

I was offered a $10 voucher for food and beverage which I used for breakfast. The egg sandwich was OK, but the scrambled eggs had a funny taste. I wonder if they are shipped in plastic, as that's the taste that I noticed. Also, the coffee is really not too good.

Luckily, there is a Starbucks very close by, and there are several places to eat if you want to drive.

Staffing-wise, most of the associates were nice, if a little 'cool' or 'aloof'- I guess that's sort of what one should expect in an Aloft property. I guess I am too old to be hip and cool. The nicest person was the engineer who came up and fixed the shower handle in my third room. He said that he often struggles with people telling him what is not working in the guest rooms.

I did try a pizza and beer in the lounge - the beer was fine, the pizza was a thicker crust, and sort of soggy, even when ordered well done.

The Aloft does have an airport shuttle and is maybe 5 minutes away. Also you can hop on the light rail and go into Baltimore so it is conveniently located if you're flying, or trying to be in the general area of Baltimore, the Inner Harbor or the Cruise pier...

That said, I will not return. There were entirely too many little issues that added up to a huge mess. Most of the problems are due to lack of training, lack of communication, no follow through and no one being held accountable for the readiness of guest rooms. There is no excuse for a hotel that is part of a major group (Starwood) to have so many issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the first floor to avoid bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!