“Why all the bad reviews? Comfortable and clean.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport

You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 West Nursery Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090   |
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
GreenLeadersGold level
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Why all the bad reviews? Comfortable and clean.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I both have backgrounds in hospitality industry so we have a pretty critical eye. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon for an early morning flight on Monday. Friendly staff at check in who was willing to point out all of the hotel features and amenities.

The room has a radical design compared to a traditional hotel, but we really liked it. I am not a big fan when hotels put the shampoo and body wash in a dispenser in the shower, but other than that the shower was perfect. The rug in the room could use an extraction, but the room was otherwise spotless. Nice 40 inch flat screen TV with a good selection of channels.

The shuttle to the airport and back was prompt and the drivers were courteous and professional.

Overall the beds were comfortable,the rooms were quiet, the shower was hot and the coffee in the lobby was free.

We will stay here again the next time we have an early flight.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor about half way down. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Tarrytown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I like staying at Aloft properties. Granted, the rooms need a rehab, and they should get rid of the soap/shampoo dispensers. The place has a nice modern vibe. My room was on the top floor facing the airport so I could watch the planes land and take off (can we say airplane geek). Very cool. I also like the bar and lounge with the pool table. Friendly bar tenders and a good selection of beer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Great hotel. Friendly, helpful staff. Didn't see any ice machines, so staff member gave us ice from the break room. Wanted to print airline tickets, but the printer was down. Manager went out of his way to print the vouchers for us, instead just saying that the printer was down. Free shuttle to/from the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I arrived for a 2 night stay this week. Upon checking in to the first room I noticed numerous stains on the carpets, a TV that didn't work and a toilet that was slow to flush. I figured that perhaps the TV would fix itself (pixelated image) and the toilet eventually started to flush properly.

When I went to sleep I realized that the platform bed was very hard and not comfortable. Upon arising after a fitful night of sleep, I went to take a shower. Lo and behold, the shower gel dispenser wouldn't work so I had to remove the top and dunk the washcloth into the liquid. Really not cool. This should have been noticed by housekeeping.

A manager replaced the dispenser and a couple people checked into the TV issue. Later in the day, I went to the desk to ask what was wrong with the TV reception. Long story short, I was changed to another room, just next to the original.

That room, 108, had a mildew smell, and I found 2 bugs in the 12 hours I was there (cricket and some sort of beetle). Upon further inspection, there is a great deal of mold in the grout on the tile floor! Disgusting! Again, when I went to use the shower I had a problem-No HOT WATER!! When I mentioned the bugs, the night audit associate said, 'oh the front doors open and close all the time, bugs always come in.." Really??

I went back to the front desk to ask for a room change.....up to the second floor. Well, this room has no soap dish, no handle to turn on the shower, and no cord on one of the blinds!!

Obviously no one is being held accountable for rooms being clean and with everything in working order. Currently I am awaiting a call from the General Manager.

I was offered a $10 voucher for food and beverage which I used for breakfast. The egg sandwich was OK, but the scrambled eggs had a funny taste. I wonder if they are shipped in plastic, as that's the taste that I noticed. Also, the coffee is really not too good.

Luckily, there is a Starbucks very close by, and there are several places to eat if you want to drive.

Staffing-wise, most of the associates were nice, if a little 'cool' or 'aloof'- I guess that's sort of what one should expect in an Aloft property. I guess I am too old to be hip and cool. The nicest person was the engineer who came up and fixed the shower handle in my third room. He said that he often struggles with people telling him what is not working in the guest rooms.

I did try a pizza and beer in the lounge - the beer was fine, the pizza was a thicker crust, and sort of soggy, even when ordered well done.

The Aloft does have an airport shuttle and is maybe 5 minutes away. Also you can hop on the light rail and go into Baltimore so it is conveniently located if you're flying, or trying to be in the general area of Baltimore, the Inner Harbor or the Cruise pier...

That said, I will not return. There were entirely too many little issues that added up to a huge mess. Most of the problems are due to lack of training, lack of communication, no follow through and no one being held accountable for the readiness of guest rooms. There is no excuse for a hotel that is part of a major group (Starwood) to have so many issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the first floor to avoid bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We got a room block here and stayed here after our wedding at the Elkridge Furnace Inn. It was a convenient location because it was close to the EFI and the airport. Our room was very comfortable and I like the funky decor. They also gave us a very reasonable rate for our room block. The staff I spoke to was very friendly and welcoming. My only complaint is that they closed the bar very quickly after our guests arrived back at the hotel, despite the fact that they had a full lobby of people willing to buy drinks and that the coordinator we had originally worked with (who left while we were planning the wedding) told us they would stay open. It wasn't a huge deal but I would have thought they would have wanted the extra business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear CMB1985,
Thank you for taking the time to write an online review regarding your recent visit to the Baltimore area. We're glad you enjoyed your time here and apologize for cutting the festivities short. We are required by law to adhere to the liquor laws in the state of Maryland and therefore had to close the bar early than you may have liked. We're glad you had a great time and hope you come visit in the future.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was the first hotel I stayed in Baltimore.

Aloft tries to be different with its modern and contemporary quirks. It's neat. Rooms are sufficiently spacious and bathrooms are superior than others.

I love the soap brand that they offer.

I only wished that there are more nearby restaurants in the area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Tunaidi A,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels during your recent visit to the Baltimore area. We're happy to hear you had a pleasant stay and enjoy the amenities in our guest rooms. We do have a handful of restaurants in our immediate area and have more selection if you are okay with driving within a 10 minute radius. In the future, please visit our front desk and we'd be more than happy to find a restaurant to better suit your taste buds that is not too far away! Thanks again for sharing and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked this hotel as a last minute getaway for my nieces and daughter. I'm not sure if it was the timing of when we checked in or if the staff is just that rude. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and apologetic. He even used the European lingo like calling the elevator "the lift". The problem with the check in process were the other two employees standing inside the circular "front desk" carrying on a conversation about what they were doing the upcoming weekend. Not a problem if there weren't 4 other people standing in line to ask questions or check in. We checked in around 3 o'clock and were on the 6th floor. The rooms were very spacious, but the air was not turned on when we got in there so it was a little stifling inside the room. There was a fridge which was nice to put our drinks in. There were also two long desks the span most of one wall separated by the TV, but there is only one moveable chair. The girls wanted to go swimming. So, we changed and headed down to the pool. Although the door states they are open from 8 (?) - 10, they weren't. I went to the front desk to ask if we needed to do something special to get into the pool area and they said that it wasn't open until 5. So, we spent the hour with the girls playing pool in the lobby. While sitting there, I looked around, there was a bar which also didn't open until 5pm. There is plenty of seating in the lobby. There was also a little area where you can buy snacks and drinks. Also there are two computers to use by the pool table. Once the swimming pool opened, I thought they had cool chairs and sitting areas, but it is pretty small. Especially where there are 20 people in it. I believe the hotel shares it's pool with the connecting hotel and it just isn't big enough to do that! The lifeguard spent the whole time on his cellphone. The pool area was just ridiculously full and the older kids were jumping on my 4 year old. So, after about 45 minutes we left. The gym is located across from the pool and it looked to be equipped with ample machines including yoga mats. Otherwise, this hotel is pretty centrally located to the mall, casino, restaurants and the BW parkway. Not sure I'd return to this particular hotel, but the chain has me intrigued that I might try it somewhere else. Oh, and parking is free at this hotel and they have body wash and shampoo in little dispensers in the shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn BWI Airport
#3 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
4.0 of 5 stars 266 reviews
The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI
The Westin Baltimore Washington ...
#12 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
4.0 of 5 stars 497 reviews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, BWI Airport (Baltimore)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#2 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
4.5 of 5 stars 353 reviews
Hyatt Place Baltimore BWI Airport
Hyatt Place Baltimore BWI Airpor...
#13 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
4.0 of 5 stars 273 reviews

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!