“3 rooms in 2 nights.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport

Save Saved
You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
GreenLeadersGold level
Princeton, New Jersey
“3 rooms in 2 nights.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I arrived for a 2 night stay this week. Upon checking in to the first room I noticed numerous stains on the carpets, a TV that didn't work and a toilet that was slow to flush. I figured that perhaps the TV would fix itself (pixelated image) and the toilet eventually started to flush properly.

When I went to sleep I realized that the platform bed was very hard and not comfortable. Upon arising after a fitful night of sleep, I went to take a shower. Lo and behold, the shower gel dispenser wouldn't work so I had to remove the top and dunk the washcloth into the liquid. Really not cool. This should have been noticed by housekeeping.

A manager replaced the dispenser and a couple people checked into the TV issue. Later in the day, I went to the desk to ask what was wrong with the TV reception. Long story short, I was changed to another room, just next to the original.

That room, 108, had a mildew smell, and I found 2 bugs in the 12 hours I was there (cricket and some sort of beetle). Upon further inspection, there is a great deal of mold in the grout on the tile floor! Disgusting! Again, when I went to use the shower I had a problem-No HOT WATER!! When I mentioned the bugs, the night audit associate said, 'oh the front doors open and close all the time, bugs always come in.." Really??

I went back to the front desk to ask for a room change.....up to the second floor. Well, this room has no soap dish, no handle to turn on the shower, and no cord on one of the blinds!!

Obviously no one is being held accountable for rooms being clean and with everything in working order. Currently I am awaiting a call from the General Manager.

I was offered a $10 voucher for food and beverage which I used for breakfast. The egg sandwich was OK, but the scrambled eggs had a funny taste. I wonder if they are shipped in plastic, as that's the taste that I noticed. Also, the coffee is really not too good.

Luckily, there is a Starbucks very close by, and there are several places to eat if you want to drive.

Staffing-wise, most of the associates were nice, if a little 'cool' or 'aloof'- I guess that's sort of what one should expect in an Aloft property. I guess I am too old to be hip and cool. The nicest person was the engineer who came up and fixed the shower handle in my third room. He said that he often struggles with people telling him what is not working in the guest rooms.

I did try a pizza and beer in the lounge - the beer was fine, the pizza was a thicker crust, and sort of soggy, even when ordered well done.

The Aloft does have an airport shuttle and is maybe 5 minutes away. Also you can hop on the light rail and go into Baltimore so it is conveniently located if you're flying, or trying to be in the general area of Baltimore, the Inner Harbor or the Cruise pier...

That said, I will not return. There were entirely too many little issues that added up to a huge mess. Most of the problems are due to lack of training, lack of communication, no follow through and no one being held accountable for the readiness of guest rooms. There is no excuse for a hotel that is part of a major group (Starwood) to have so many issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the first floor to avoid bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We got a room block here and stayed here after our wedding at the Elkridge Furnace Inn. It was a convenient location because it was close to the EFI and the airport. Our room was very comfortable and I like the funky decor. They also gave us a very reasonable rate for our room block. The staff I spoke to was very friendly and welcoming. My only complaint is that they closed the bar very quickly after our guests arrived back at the hotel, despite the fact that they had a full lobby of people willing to buy drinks and that the coordinator we had originally worked with (who left while we were planning the wedding) told us they would stay open. It wasn't a huge deal but I would have thought they would have wanted the extra business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear CMB1985,
Thank you for taking the time to write an online review regarding your recent visit to the Baltimore area. We're glad you enjoyed your time here and apologize for cutting the festivities short. We are required by law to adhere to the liquor laws in the state of Maryland and therefore had to close the bar early than you may have liked. We're glad you had a great time and hope you come visit in the future.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was the first hotel I stayed in Baltimore.

Aloft tries to be different with its modern and contemporary quirks. It's neat. Rooms are sufficiently spacious and bathrooms are superior than others.

I love the soap brand that they offer.

I only wished that there are more nearby restaurants in the area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Tunaidi A,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels during your recent visit to the Baltimore area. We're happy to hear you had a pleasant stay and enjoy the amenities in our guest rooms. We do have a handful of restaurants in our immediate area and have more selection if you are okay with driving within a 10 minute radius. In the future, please visit our front desk and we'd be more than happy to find a restaurant to better suit your taste buds that is not too far away! Thanks again for sharing and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked this hotel as a last minute getaway for my nieces and daughter. I'm not sure if it was the timing of when we checked in or if the staff is just that rude. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and apologetic. He even used the European lingo like calling the elevator "the lift". The problem with the check in process were the other two employees standing inside the circular "front desk" carrying on a conversation about what they were doing the upcoming weekend. Not a problem if there weren't 4 other people standing in line to ask questions or check in. We checked in around 3 o'clock and were on the 6th floor. The rooms were very spacious, but the air was not turned on when we got in there so it was a little stifling inside the room. There was a fridge which was nice to put our drinks in. There were also two long desks the span most of one wall separated by the TV, but there is only one moveable chair. The girls wanted to go swimming. So, we changed and headed down to the pool. Although the door states they are open from 8 (?) - 10, they weren't. I went to the front desk to ask if we needed to do something special to get into the pool area and they said that it wasn't open until 5. So, we spent the hour with the girls playing pool in the lobby. While sitting there, I looked around, there was a bar which also didn't open until 5pm. There is plenty of seating in the lobby. There was also a little area where you can buy snacks and drinks. Also there are two computers to use by the pool table. Once the swimming pool opened, I thought they had cool chairs and sitting areas, but it is pretty small. Especially where there are 20 people in it. I believe the hotel shares it's pool with the connecting hotel and it just isn't big enough to do that! The lifeguard spent the whole time on his cellphone. The pool area was just ridiculously full and the older kids were jumping on my 4 year old. So, after about 45 minutes we left. The gym is located across from the pool and it looked to be equipped with ample machines including yoga mats. Otherwise, this hotel is pretty centrally located to the mall, casino, restaurants and the BW parkway. Not sure I'd return to this particular hotel, but the chain has me intrigued that I might try it somewhere else. Oh, and parking is free at this hotel and they have body wash and shampoo in little dispensers in the shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Largo, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I loved the funky vibe. Everything was going well until one morning there was NO HOT WATER! I don't do cold showers! But I had to - had to get to my meeting. It was fixed by the evening when I returned. I got a free breakfast for the inconvenience. The cleaning crew declined with each day -- not replenishing the paper cups & coffee stirrers,and free water, leaving behind last night's wine glass, not cleaning the toilet daily (ewww!!) Bed was a little soft for my taste. I think its time they replace the towels & washclothes with a softer, fluffier brand. I also don't like to see the previous users makeup on the washcloth. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, DE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my first time staying at Aloft but from the pictures online I was willing to give it a try. The décor is very funky, but I liked that. The overall look of the room was ok. When I walked in the room it was so hot in there, I started to sweat quickly. My first suggestion to the hotel; if its more that 75 degrees outside....keep the air conditioning on!!
Next thing I noticed was that there were a lot of little bugs flying around in the room. Then I noticed that the sheets didn't look clean. From speaking to another guest at the hotel, a housekeeper told her that THEY DO NOT USE BLEACH TO CLEAN THEIR LINEN!!!! Pure Disgusting!!! This other guest had blood stain sheets on her bed and had to get them changed immediately. The next morning I woke up ready to take my shower and noticed a ROACH was in the shower room!!!!!
So to sum this experience up, I had an dirty bed with flying bugs a roach...you'd be the judge. But as for me....never again at this location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Michael H, General Manager at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for recently staying at the Aloft BWI Hotel. It is our goal to provide exceptional customer service and we apologize if we failed to meet your expectations. Unfortunately we cannot use bleach on our sheets due to the guests who may have sensitive skin. Our laundry products are approved by Starwood to adequately clean our linen, and again we apologize if we failed to meet your expectations. We have our pest control company do regular maintenance on our hotels and treat any sighting serious. They have since been out to our hotel and cleared our establishment. With the weather changes, we pay even closer attention to our friends, so we can address them accordingly. We hope that if you are ever in the area again, you would give us an opportunity to serve you. Thank you for your feedback.

Michael Harold
Genereal Manager
Chesterfield, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I arrived after midnight and it looked like the typical ALoft that I am use to. Usually I'm met with a bubbly person making me feel welcome. Instead I got this mousey person who harly spoke and had no reactions. He was more bust watching the security cameras, than dealing with me. I got up to my room and it is 80 degrees. Very few lights. Light switch at door does not work ( I never figured out what it did-there was no light at the vestibule). I saw a small switch on the wall by wall unit and flipped it. The thermostat now had power, but no noise out of the unit. I call down and he tells me to turn on the switch. I already did. He puts me on hold and tells me he is looking if there is another room. Finally comes back. Yes, I will bring you the key. 10 minutes pass and the unit kicks on....so I call down and he answers (still hadn't left to bring me my new key). I told him it is working. Hot and tired, I had to the bathroom. The light in the toliet/shower area doesn't work. Uggh! I sit up 30 minutes waiting for the room to cool down before finally going to sleep. When I get up, I notice there is no coffee maker in the room....just coffee. I didn't say anything to the same guy at the desk.... I just wanted to leave. I knew that he probably would have little reaction to take care of my stay.
Yes, I am a Starwood Gold member...didn't even get a thanks or welcome!
ALoft are typically good hotels, but I doubt I will want to come back to this one!

Room Tip: Do not take room 624.
Green Features: Leaving AC complete to some lower set point. Don't turn off and leave off. Yes it save energy, but angers guest when room is hot and they are tired.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear PhoenisSunDog,
Thank you for your recent online post regarding your stay. We're sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during and after checking into your room. We strive to provide great service and make each stay as comfortable as possible and sincerely apologize that you did not experience this. Should you like to address anything further, please reach out to our General Manager, Michael, at michael.harold@aloftbwi.com.

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!