“Great --- after I got used to it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport

You added Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport to your Saves list
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 West Nursery Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090   |
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
GreenLeadersGold level
Concord, California
“Great --- after I got used to it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

After awhile, I ended up loving this hotel but I stayed there for 8 nights and it took awhile to get used to it. I stayed in room 422 for 4 nights and room 506 for 4 nights.

Got it on an online discount and knew right away that I wasn't in the demographic (young, hip, trendy, etc.) that the hotel caters to. Initially, it was a little off-putting as the lobby desk is round and a number of times I went down there, it was hard to figure out where to stand to get anyone to pay attention. SOMETIMES I went down to the lobby, it was mobbed by 20/30-somethings and I wondered why I was there.

So, some Pro's and Con's and other Quirkey Aspects of the Aloft BWI:

PRO's:

As a regular traveler to Baltimore, the location is great (for me) -- close to the airport -- and they had plenty of free parking although, in the rain, some of it was too far away from the door. The place seemed to be packed with people with cars. Also, the wireless is free and easy to use but response was a little slow.

There is free coffee and USA Today in the lobby.

The TV is ä 42" flat screen, mounted on the wall right opposite the bed. Maybe the remote was losing its battery-power because it took forever to get through the 37 channels. Also, there was no list in the room of where to find different channels, and there wasn't much variety.

Room was nicely decorated (modern) and clean. Shades of black and brown and white with turquiose accents. Bed was a little hard but OK. Pillows were too small.

The place is really COLORFUL --- looks just like the pictures on the internet. Crisp, bright, etc.

Shuttle worked fine for me but as others have said, sometimes it's the Hilton shuttle and if you haven't been staying there for awhile, you wouldn't know this. After I got rid of my car, I used the shuttle several times -- Amtrak, BWI, rental car facility. Always prompt and courteous. And, unlike some hotels, most of the day it runs every 15 minutes (less frequently in the middle of the night).

Loved the shower, with the glass doors and huge showerhead. Bathroom was modern. No tiny bottles of shampoo, etc. Shampoo and body wash are in large containers in the shower.

Best PRO --- the STAFF! Often, the staff is super busy and seems rattled (this place runs frenetic much of the time!) but when I needed their help, to change rooms when my first one was so loud over the week-end that I got zero sleep, they were very helpful. Serafin and Shy were so friendly and helpful and took care of the change, and followed up later to make sure things were better.

CON's:

Mentioned a few already, with the slow wireless and TV channel changes. In my second room, the safe was broken (closed). They did offer to fix it but I decided I didn't have anything I really needed to put in it. Was surprised they rented the room with a broken safe though.

Bedding (sheets/mattress pad) on the bed in the first room was so small (on a King bed) --- sheets just laying on top, not tucked in --- that the bed had fallen apart by morning.

Insane amount of noise over the lobby entrance in the middle of the night (with people loudly conversing and shuttle drivers honking) that I didn't sleep all night on a Saturday night with shuttles coming-and-going all night.

There is noise from the airport, for anyone noise-sensitive.

The cute little "cafe"(cafeteria) downstairs is a bit expensive. A tiny bottle of orange juice was $3. Evidently I'm too used to the complimentary breakfasts at many of the other BWI hotels.

QUIRKY stuff:

Some of it above. The way the place is set up (with the staff being deluged) and the little (epensive) cafeteria in the lobby. Also, there are no drawers in the room --- just something that looks like a shelf/bookcase. Also, the curtained closet is tiny --- only 4 hangers in both my rooms. With staying for 8 days, I mostly had to keep my clothes in my suitcase.

Also, no place to get ice, except to go to the desk and ask for a small bag. Very inconvenient. Seems odd that they even put an ice bucket in the room when the little bag was all stuck together so you couldn't get cubes into the pail.

Also, the doors on the rooms are SO heavy that you can hear them slam down the hall, even when people aren't slamming them.

The shampoo in the big container in the shower is so heavy that it wouldn't come out of the dispenser. I had to take the top off and scoop it out. It was like cake frosting.
----------

After a few days, I got used to the place. Didn't sit at the bar with all the kids or play pool (which looked like fun --- many people enjoying it) and didn't use the pool or fitness room (never saw anyone else there either) and I could have used a real restaurant there, rather than their little snack area, but it worked for me.

This place is not for everyone but I would happily return, even though I'm not young, hip or trendy.

Room Tip: Stay in a top floor (it's a 6 floor hotel) and NOT in the rooms right over the lobby entrance, d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
vstanley, General Manager at Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
You can always count on us! Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that my Team has made your stay memorable. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit soon. You are as young and trendy as you feel!!

Vanessa Stanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Aloft hotels have a little bit of a "different" look and feel to them. This is my second Aloft stay and this one was just fine. I had a quick overnighter. I called the hotel looking for the airport shuttle and was told it was on its way. What I wasn't told was that it would be a Hilton Shuttle (hotel across the road) coming to get me because of the time of night. The Hilton shuttle came, but not knowing it was for me, and the shuttle driver didn't say anything to the people waiting, it came and went. More waiting, and then another person waiting for Aloft called and we found out it about the Hilton shuttle thing so next time it came back - we hopped on. Probably added half hour to our wait.

The room was nice and clean, typical Aloft. Had a good night's sleep. In the morning I was looking for the shuttle to take me to the BWI Amtrak train station. I guess I had just missed it so was waiting for the next one. But then I saw a shuttle pull up near the hotel, but not actually out front (like he was looking for passengers). One man had just got in and I approached it, the driver gave me a look like "What do you want?". I told him I was hoping to get a ride to the train station, he looked at his watch, and reluctantly invited me to get on the shuttle. Certainly was not very friendly at all.

Overall a solid hotel for a stopover, but could use some work in the area of customer service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Aloft BWI. I am truly disappointed to hear about the difficulty you experienced during your visit
I apologize again for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

What a beautiful Hotel. First time there and I would definitely go back. Rooms are clean and modern. Nice bar in the lobby and nice swimming pool. Beds are comfortable. The only drawback are the pillows. We had a King size bed and only 2 very small pillows, put side by side they only took up half the bed. Definitely needed more pillows. Luckily I always bring one from home.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Please come back and visit us again. We appreciate your business.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great space in the rooms, funky atmosphere. It is a good hotel - I recommend you call the hotel right after you arrive to get the shuttle over. It's still worth staying there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Bethany Beach, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was our first time at Aloft and we thought it was a great property. Very convenient to the airport and very mod fun decor. All was good except the shuttle back from the airport. We waited over an hour on a Saturday afternoon for the shuttle to return us to our car.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time out to write to us. This really means a lot to me as well as my staff. We are exultant that you really like our hotel. Please come back soon and see us. I will follow up on the issue with the shuttle over the weekend and I do apologize for your wait.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed @ hotel prior to traveling for vacation. I heard a lot bout the staff not being attentive gotta tell you I had no issues with this. Staff at desk and hotel were very attentive and friendly. Just enough to relax me prior to vacation.

• Stayed April 2012

Budapest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is the third time that I've stayed at an Aloft in the past 12 months. I believe all Alofts are built from the ground up, not in existing buildings. This allows them to make a very consistent experience for guests. My room was exactly the same as in Chicago and Phoenix. The reception and lobby areas are also very similar. I experienced the same excellent service that I had in the other two Alofts. The staff was very friendly.

I have only 2 minot complaints. The first is that the Shuttle pick up procedure from the airport should be better communicated. Although there is 24-hour service, it only works when you call. This is not a big deal but Aloft should advise guests of this so that they don't stand around waiting for the shuttle.

The second complaint has to do with the room temperature. When I arrived the air conditioner was set at 64F. It was extremely cold in the room. Outside it was 50F. I switched the thermostat back to heat and a more comfortable temp. The next morning after the room was serviced the air was turned back down again and felt like an ice box. Again the outside temp was in the 50s. Not sure what the policy is. For a hotel that does the whole Earth-friendly thing with towels and sheets, it not very environmentally (or business!!!) conscious about energy conservation!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members. I have made notes on the areas to work on as well.

Vanessa Stanley

Been to Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport? Share your experiences!