“Gift cert disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Guenther's

Guenther's
25470 Point Lookout Road, Just South of St. Mary's Hospital in the Breton Marketplace Center, Leonardtown, MD 20650
301-475-8989
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 28 Restaurants in Leonardtown
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Leonardtown, MD
“Gift cert disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Received gift cert from well-intentioned, but out of town, family member - if I had known, would have discouraged. Went with hopeful attitude - and soon dashed. Poor quality food, service, atmosphere.

Visited February 2014

Brisbane, Australia
“Great lunches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've been going to Guenther's for lunch every fortnight or so for the six months since we moved to Leonardtown. I'm seriously addicted to the sandwiches, particularly the chimichurri. It's simple food, but just done really well and with no frills. Chilli bowl soup and jerk chicken are also excellent.

Aside from the food, it's nice to have a meal somewhere with some good beer and wine by the glass options that comes from eating at a bistro within a bottle shop.

Overall, it's a great place to go, because for only a couple of dollars more than you'd probably pay at a chain fast food place, you're getting quality food (and with a bit of a tweak) in a simple cafe environment, and with the option of a glass of something good.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hughesville, MD
“Glad we checked it out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I used to go to Guenther's for their wine tastings before their bistro opened. It had been well over a year, maybe two year's since we had been and I remembered hearing about a bistro added. We decided to go for the wine tasting (second Friday of every month). They had four white and four red wines, we purchased two of the whites. We are usually red wine drinkers but were looking for something to pair with shrimp and they had the perfect match. We then did the beer tasting, about 4 or 5. I'm not much for beer but the craft beer is rather good I must say. We purchased a four pack of some ginger beer. After the tasting, we decided to try their bistro for dinner. The only negative is the cool air that enters the bistro area when someone walks in the store. I imagine this is only a negative for a few months out of the year. The waittress was extremely friendly, explained the specials and went over the menu with us. They had a nice selection for very reasonable prices. We each ordered the chili which was probably right up there with one of the best chili's we've ever had. Watch out toward the bottom though, that is where it heats up with red pepper flakes. After seeing the large portion of pasta delivered to the table next to us, we decided to order the seafood pasta but informed the waittress that we wanted to split it. She said there was a $2 charge for sharing, no problem! We still had left overs even though we shared. We also chose a nice bottle of red wine. Our total bill was $45, can't beat it! We will definitely be back and tell all our friends too!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port Republic
“Skip it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Pass by this place. Service was slow and disorganized and the food was terrible. Took a few bites and threw my meal in the garbage. Potato salad was inedible. Meat on my sandwich was fatty.

Visited November 2013
Leonardtown, Maryland
“Sad Food and Even Worse Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

A friend and I were looking for someplace where we could grab a quick lunch before the holidays and not run into a million people. Remembering that this place is small, we decided to drop in. The menu was fairly limited but the waitress told me about a special that she recommended. She said that it was "authentic" and descried it as like an oriental version of a beef burrito with delicious spices and flavorings accompanied by a salad. Trusting the server's advice and will little else sounding tempting, I ordered it.

Well, a Mexican burrito would have been far supreme! It was the size of an eggroll and stuffed with ground beef - no sauce, no veggies, no flavor. That's it - a small fried thing full of hamburger. If that weren't enough, the "salad" included a few springs of extremely old and wilted romaine lettuce with four (literally) carrot shavings (no, not "carrots" but "shavings"!). I called the server over, showed her the wilted lettuce, and explained that plain lettuce and four shavings do not a salad make. She apologized, said she too thought it looked bad (but served it nevertheless) and offered to replace the salad with another type of salad. Hysterically (and pitifully), when I asked if they had different lettuce for the replacement salad, she said that they did not, so as you can imagine, I declined the offer of "new" salad.

She then asked if she could get me a different substitute, so being rather hungry at this point, I selected a scallop appetizer. It arrived with overcooked and shriveled scallops wrapped in burst bacon, but I held my tongue, swallowed them to fill the hole, and politely ask for our bill. When the bill arrived, I scanned it to ensure that I was not being charged for the salad, and sure enough, the waitress had charged me the full price for both the disgusting lunch special (the small and tasteless beef eggroll thing and the rotten lettuce) AS WELL as for the replacement appetizer. I called her over and explained that I did not plan to pay for the rotten salad that I did not eat and would like my bill adjusted. Not only did she nor anyone else (no manager was ever in sight) offer me any other compensation (like a free lunch, drink, or desert), but she took a mere 99 CENTS from my bill for HALF of the special not being edible!

I argued with her, explained the fallacy of the math (not to mention the extremely lame customer service), and ultimately just left really twerped off with a vow NEVER to eat there again and to make sure that YOU DO NOT EAT THERE EITHER! I can forgive bad but well-intentioned food, but I cannot excuse horrific customer service and food fraud!

• Visited December 2013